0 comments

Christian Coming of Age Fiction


He was Village champion in three occasions in traditional wrestling organized every three years by the elders in early sixties. During those era, real man was measured by the number of barns one has, how strong you are usually determine how many barns one has or wives you are qualified to marry. Mr. Aburi was and had all the qualities, that was how he landed his beautiful wife Mrs. Helen Aburi. The most beautiful girl of his era. He had seven kids with Helen before he died at age of 38 of complications herbalist controlling events in health sectors then could not name.

Helen was 28, when her husband died, she was about 6’ 2’ in height, hair black, eye were white. She weighs around 56kg. she was light in complexion that attracts men like flies to a drop of honey. She had one of those metalic voice that made people took notice of her immediately. She was one of those bimbo women that full everywhere in biafran land of 80’s. Beautiful face and empty brain. She was young when she got married and her husband noticed all her deficiances and don’t mind at all. Her IQ was so low and embedded in her DNA that her children inherited it all. At times, people wonders whether heaven forgot to put gray matters in her skull before coupling it. When her husband suddenly died, her brothers became the ones managing her family from their homes, any smallest problem she encounters will end up in her father’s house for solution. Her seven kids grew up with the same gene in them. They picked up sourcy mouth that were in vogue in their era and added to their empty head and when you add their fathers muscular features, they virtually turned into terror in their village.

Her first son John was around 23 when he pregnated a girl from their village and was forced to marry her. After initial threatening the father and daughter with bodily harm, he was cowed by counter threat from the girl brothers of getting police involved. He was like others doing poorly in school and only one girl made it to Senior Secondary level. John’s education ended at year two secondary level, yes, year two. How he made it up to that level was surprise to many. His wife tried to raised income through grinding machine she operates at the food market but John’s saucy mouth drove away customers, he picked offenses with his wife, blaming her for the poor returns. He stopped palm wine he was selling and took over the running of the machine, thing became worse. Customers fleed altogether. He don’t understand why his wife will be granting credit to some people. He thought credit was meant for customers that buy things in high quantity or those that brought business opportunities. This woman before him don’t meet any of the requirement according to john’s assessment and yet she was talking as if it was her right.

“So, madam, you said it was how you deal with my wife for months now?”

“Yes”

“Well, I am not my wife, you will pay me my money or forfeit your goods”.

“We will be cooking for public with that crayfish today, I need it”.

“I don’t care if you are cooking for the whole world with is crayfish, I need my money, and I need very fast”.

“I will pay you later with interest as usual”.

“I am not God, I don’t know anything about later or tomorrow, I believe in now”.

“Okay, I will go home and bring your money, if that is how you want it”

“Now you are talking, go and bring my money” he shouted.

“I have heard you, must you shout?”

“My money jari and be fast”

The lady went home and returned one hour later with John’s money and John was wondering why it took her so long. “don’t you know that time is money?” he querried. The woman threw the money on the table, grab her goods and marched out. Nonsense screamed John, ‘they don’t even invite me to their celebration and yet, they needed credit. Maybe, they gave the idiot money to pay me and she pocketed it and came here behaving as if she owns here with me”.

Nnonye the only girl that made it to final year Secondary School, finished with three credits out of nine subjects. She was lucky to enter convent with the result then, if it were to be now, no one know if it were possible again. Out of the seven, she was only one that still attend services. The other six had said capital no to anything concerning religion without any tangible reason. She had tried her possible best to bring light into that family without success. She had mingled with other reverend sisters, learnt what she could not learn in school from association and observation, improved as a person, she had contributed her little token to free her family from the shackles of poverty without success. She had talked and talked without any change. She found out that almost all of her siblings were angry with God blaming him for their poverty. They decided to keep far away from him and maybe, he will forget them.


Reverend father Simon was about 5 feet, 2 inches, hair black, weighs about 65kg. a pretty good fella. He was Parish Priest of Saint Dominic Parish Uyo. He was classmate of John's during their Primary School days, from the same village too. He was one of those lucky Priest that has opportunity to go to the Western world for further studies.

One of those type of fella’s bishops don’t understand throughout their seminary days and decided to post him outside his tribe and continue their observation there. Maybe, they felt that he passed their test and decided to sent him to USA for further studies. While in U.S.A, he won the affection of many people by whatever means, no one knows including the Priest himself. Whether the bishops layed traps for them over where they were sent before shifting them or not, only the bishops knew too. Whatever, he seems to have passed their test. Most of the families we heard added him to their will, some added him to their salary list long after leaving USA, he was still receiving money from those flocks there.

He built in his father’s house a modern house for his immediate elder brother, and about two poles away from his father’s house, he built a storey building for himself and his elder sister who was reverend sister as retreat aboard when on holiday. He was many things to many people In that village, it was to him that John’s sister went to for help on behalf of her family. He sat down with John’s sister to map out plan on how to neutralize whatever demon that is troubling her family. He started by calling aburi’s family for meeting, tabled his own demand to them after hearing reasons why they don’t attend Church services again, he employed them into menial jobs with menial salaries, John he employed as a gateman in his retreat house and after observing them for six months to a year, he bought equipments for repairing fridges and generators for John and paid for his repair shop for six months. John's a year gateman job tamed his mouth considering the type of visitors he welcomes all the time, his salaried job taught him how to spend money, his gateman uniform taught him how to dress, occasions he was part of taught him how to deal with different characters. All these incidents positioned him for the repair work he found himself. What was taking part in John’s life was happening to his other siblings too and within two years, Aburi’s family has turned into a model family that most people were wondering what happened to their gene, all courtesy of Reverend father Simon.     

January 05, 2021 05:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.