4 comments

Friendship

The long-awaited day had finally come. After 6 years of trying, Maya had finally managed to complete her long-standing New Years resolution, to have a best friend by the end of the year. She was 8 years old and did not have one friend, unless you count animals. If you could, she had dozens of lifelong companions, for she had such a kind, gentle ambience that every creature, friendly or unfriendly to most, would become inseparable from her. But real, human friends, Maya had none. It may have been because she was so shy and reserved and hardly ever spoke to anyone, much less approach someone and try to form a friendship. No, it was not like quiet Maya to speak up, no matter what it was about. You would never find this girl in a crowd, or at a store without her mother close to her side.

If this was not the reason, it could be the fact that Maya had no father. Most people did not know why this was. Maya did know, though, too well. Her father had been killed in a car crash, slammed into by a reckless driver, when Maya was only 5 years old. She held onto the bitterness of him leaving her, although it was not his fault. She held onto sadness, also, for her father had been her idol. He was a doctor, heroically saving people's lives every day. But now he was gone, along with his daughter's constant joy. She had always been so happy and content, until that day. Maya would spend hours of each day thinking of him, reminiscing over their happiest moments together. But thinking of him always brought tears to her weary face.

Anyway, she had no friends, she had no father, only a busy mother. Maya's mother, although considerably kind and caring, was constantly busy with her full time job as a nurse at the same hospital that her husband had been employed at. So, of course, Maya was alone a great deal. After school she would head home to rest and think in the treehouse that her father had built for her. She would dangle her legs off the side and stare out at her small neighborhood, full of old worn down brick houses and crumbling gravel streets. No one, it seemed, would want to be friends with her. Oh, how she wanted a friend, someone to play with, to share secrets with, to take walks and have fun with and just to talk to.

So that is why, on the day before New Year's 6 years ago she had resolved to meet her lifelong best friend before this year was up. She just had to. But if she was to do so, she could not be so shy. Maya knew she was too shy. She always had. But she had no idea what to do to end this timidity. Sometimes, when her bashfulness acted up and she refused to reply to someone or do something out of her comfort zone, Maya felt a strange feeling. It was as if the world was swirling around her and she was stuck, unable to move or speak or act. Just standing there. People gaping at her in confusion, wondering. It was an uncomfortable feeling; an unwanted feeling for Maya.


She had to change somehow. So she did. Well she tried, anyway. The next day at school Maya scoured the halls for a girl her age that she could be friends with. One stood out in particular. She was standing with a couple other friends and talking. Maya recognized her as Tessa Standford, the "popular girl". Maya doubted she had much of a chance, yet still pressed on. As she strutted up to the group, trying to appear fearless, her heart began to pound and she slowed her step. Too late, for she was already there. Tessa's back was towards Maya, which caused the idea of running, succumbing to the climbing fear. Tessa would never know Maya had been there. No, she had come this far and she would not turn back now. Maya cleared her throat and opened her mouth to speak. No words came out. Tessa began to turn towards her. It seemed as if everything was in slow motion. Maya felt that familiar feeling of being stuck. Tessa was staring at her now. "Well look who it is. Little Miss Shy Girl. What are you doing in this group, little never-talking-timid-wallflower?" The group snickered. "Is that the best name you could come up with, Tessa? It was kinda stupid. No offense," A tall girl whispered loudly, giggling. Tessa frowned but ignored the remark and turned her focus back to Maya. "Go back to the shy kids group, wherever it is. Oh, wait I forgot. There is none. It's just you!" Tessa smirked and turned back to her friends, who greeted her with more cruel snickering and smirks in Maya's direction. They walked off, leaving Maya with hot tears streaming down her red face.


Fortunately, the next day was Saturday and Maya had time to recover from the scene the day before. At this minute, Maya was, of course, in her tree house with her legs dangling off the edge. It was a frigid day and Maya began to shiver. As she looked up into the clear, white atmosphere, she saw small white snow flurries drifting slowly, quietly, down to the earth. Maya grinned through her sorrow. She loved snow and everything about it. Its purity, its peace, its quietness, its beauty, its grace. And the large white blanket that covers all with its pristine hand. Maya climbed eagerly down the rope ladder and spun around, hands outstretched to enjoy the snowfall.

As she did so, she heard cheerful exclamations from down the street. The exclamations were ones of joy and excitement and it sounded as though there was more than one person. Maya didn't know of any other kids in her neighborhood so she cautiously wandered down the driveway, investigating the sound. As she rounded the corner, she saw a girl about her age playing with 2 younger kids. They were digging in the dirt, which now had a dusting of white. Maya slowly inched closer. Just then she stepped on a twig, which snapped loudly.

The girl turned towards the noise and saw Maya. She waved. "Hi!" The girl called cheerfully. She put down the plastic shovel that she was clasping. "My name is Jamie. What is your name?" She continued confidently. Maya timidly replied, "I'm Maya." Jamie skipped up to Maya with a bright grin on her face. "It's nice to meet you!" Maya smiled and took the girl's outstretched hand. "Do you wanna help us finish digging?" Jamie asked. "We're building a castle!". She bounded over to the 2 younger children and resumed digging. Maya suddenly felt a strange warmth that she had never experienced before. She no longer felt shy or scared or stuck at all! "I'd love to!" Maya replied bravely. She danced over to her new friends, gazing happily up at the fast-falling snow, full of joy and warm contentment.

This was the end of a long-lasting New Years resolution and the beginning of a lifelong friendship.

January 08, 2021 20:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jana Diriyeh
14:35 Jan 15, 2021

Hi Virginia! it is a great story! however if you just didn't say "After 6 years of trying, Maya had finally managed to complete her long-standing New Years resolution, to have a best friend by the end of the year. " in the first couple of lines I guess it would be better. you can try and show she did. otherwise, a great, lovely story :)

Reply

Virginia Hair
23:10 Jan 23, 2021

Yes, thank you! I agree now that you mention it!

Reply

Jana Diriyeh
11:55 Jan 26, 2021

no problem ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Virginia Hair
16:23 Jan 09, 2021

Hey everybody! I hope you enjoy this fun last-minute story! By the way, I actually wrote most of the snow scene while it was really snowing.😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.