19 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult Sad

Carly peered out the frosted window of the old cabin, watching as small flakes of snow fell to the ground. The logs that made up the walls of the cabin knocked lightly as the wind howled outside. Carly shivered and turned away from the window, taking a seat in the red leather chair near the fireplace. The orange and red flames danced wildly as yellow embers flew from the fire, giving warmth to the entirety of the cabin. Carly kept her eyes locked on the flames, watching them engulf the kindling as if the logs were mere splinters of wood.


Carly snatched a frosted cookie from the silver tray on the coffee table, letting the small crumbs fall onto her new knitted sweater. She dusted the bits of yellow food off her clothes, letting the crumbs fall to the ground. Carly watched them curiously as the crumbs bounced onto the wooden floorboards. As she brushed the last of them off, the crumbs landed in a pair of hands peeking out from under the chair.


Carly jumped in her seat. "Maya!!" she called sternly.


A giggle came from under the chair as the hands disappeared. A small nibble was heard behind her, and Carly turned around, resting her head and arms on the top of the chair.


Maya covered her smile, pressing her palms against her skin. "Hi Carly!" she giggled, dropping her hands.


Carly sighed. "Hi. Maya," she stated.


Maya twirled a blonde curl, smiling. "Daddy wants you to help him put the lights outside away."


Carly wrinkled her nose. "I've only been sitting here for five minutes. Can't I get a break?"


Maya shrugged happily, grabbing two cookies off the tray and biting into the dessert. "Ask Daddy," she muffled, her mouth stuffed with cookie.


Carly glanced at the food in her little sisters' hands. "You beheaded Santa," she said, tilting her head.


Maya gasped and her cookies fell to the ground, a horrified look spread across Maya's pale face as her eyes fell on the body of the frosted Santa Claus. A Black Labrador trotted happily into the room, knowing exactly what he was there for. "Feru!" Maya screamed, as the dog began munching on the rest of Santa. "BAD DOG! VERY BAD DOG!"


Feru picked up Santa's legs, digging his teeth into the cookie and leaving the room. Maya picked up her other cookie, decorated as a Christmas tree, and tenderly bit into it. Carly smiled and slumped back into her seat, watching the fire once more.


Rick Johnson, the man of the house, walked into the living room, a battered cardboard box marked 'Lights' in his hands. Maya pranced over to her father and hugged his legs. "I failed, Daddy," she sniffed. "Carly won't come help you."


Rick let a small smile slip onto his kind face. "Carly isn't going to help me?" he asked his youngest daughter innocently.


Maya nodded, looking up at her dad, cookie crumbs covering her lips. Rick shook his head. "That will be a pity," he called loudly. "I'll have to work in the snow all by myself without my wonderful daughter Carlotta to help me take down the lights. Well, at least Mom is making some jumbo chocolate chip cookies for those daring enough to venture into the wilderness." Rick turned to look at Maya, who was giggling. "I guess I'll have the dreaded task of finishing those cookies myself."


Carly jumped from her chair and turned to her father, smiling sheepishly. "I never said I wouldn't help you," she started. "I just mentioned to Maya that I just finished putting away some Christmas decorations and I was taking a break."


Rick smiled. "Sure. Okay Carly, be ready in five."


Maya released her grip from Rick's leg and skipped into the kitchen, where her mom and grandmother were baking up a storm. From the living room, Carly silently groaned, and walked to the closet to put on her snow wear.


Maya jumped up onto a bar stool and watched her mom, a tall woman named Betty, knead some dough. She was twisting it so the dough resembled a French baguette. Maya licked her lips as her mother set the dough to the side and wiped her forehead.


"Hi, Maya, darling! The bread's gonna be done soon, honey," Betty assured, smiling. "Can I get you anything? A glass of water?"


Maya nodded, jumping in her seat. "Can I go outside and play in the snow while Daddy and Carly do work?" she asked excitedly.


Betty laughed, bringing Maya over a small glass of water. "Of course you can. But Maya, stay near the cabin, and don't go near Oak Lake. It never completely freezes over, and it's very dangerous," Betty added sternly. Concern flooded her eyes. "Well, maybe it's best you stay inside...."


Maya bit her lip. "But Mommy...."


Carly entered the kitchen, bundled up in her lemon yellow jacket and black snow pants. Her floppy hat completely covered her short hair. Carly's eyes widened as she realized she'd walked into an argument.


"Um, I guess I'll leave the room-"


"No, Carly," Betty interrupted. "Maya wants to go outside while you and your father take down the lights."


Carly shrugged. "Okay." she turned and peered out the kitchen window. The snow had stopped falling. "It's not snowing anymore, so..."


"No, honey, I want you to keep an eye on her. I don't want either of you getting near the lake," Betty turned to Maya, hesitating to speak. "Maya, you may go outside if you stay away from the lake."


Maya grinned. "Okay!!" she said. The little girl leaped off the bar stool and ran to the coat closet, giddy with excitement.


Rick entered the living room, bundled up in a warm black coat. "Ready, Carly?" he called into the kitchen.


Carly nodded, tugging fleece-lined gloves over her hands. "Yep," she responded, retreating from the kitchen. "Let's make this quick."


Maya quickly pulled on her snow boots and mittens. She shoved her pink hat on and turned to her dad. "I'm ready, Daddy!"


Rick laughed, raising an eyebrow. "Are you going to help with the grunt work?" he questioned.


Betty called from the kitchen, "Rick, she wants to play in the snow. Carly said she'll watch her, just make sure they don't go near the lake."


Rick nodded, turning to Maya and picking her up. Maya shrieked happily. "Well, pumpkin, let's head into the snow!!!" Rick said.


The threesome stepped outside into the bitter cold, tall mounds of snow piled on the ground. The ground was covered in the white stuff as the group trudged through it. Walking to the shed at the end of the driveway felt like walking through a cold Sahara desert.


As they reached the shed, Rick dropped Maya onto the snowy ground and opened the door of the structure. He retrieved a wooden ladder and set it against the side of the house as Carly shut the shed door behind him.


Rick began climbing the ladder, the blinking colorful lights that bordered the roof hidden under a brushing of snow. Maya shrieked and jumped into the snow, forming a snow angel. She sat up, laughing and pointed to something in the distance. "Look!!" Maya called to her family.


Carly held the box for lights over her head as Rick began taking them down. "Yeah?" Carly called back.


"Look!" Maya repeated. "Burning snow!!"


Carly turned to look to where Maya was pointing. Near the neighbors' yard, a small fire was beginning to spark up. The orange flames danced against the snowy landscape, but died down in the cold air. The snow around it had been lightly melted by the small flames.


"Huh," Carly muttered. "That was kind of cool."


Maya nodded, then stood up. She squinted through the snow, and saw a sliver of purple poking through the icy land, near the top of the hill that led down to Oak Lake. "My bucket!" she said, smiling. "I'm gonna go get my bucket from the snow!"


Maya began trudging through the cold landscape, dragging her feet through the snow. Carly glanced over her shoulder and saw Maya heading toward the hill. "Maya!" she yelled, dropping the box of lights with a clatter.


Carly ran through the snow, breathing heavily as Maya reached her bucket. The little girl looked at the lake and forest below and smiled. She waved to some squirrels scampering up a tree that had long ago lost it's vibrant green leaves to the elements.


Maya turned, and came face to face with her sister. Carly roughly grabbed Maya's shoulder, skidding through the snow. "Maya, don't go near the hill, we don't want you getting-"


Carly tripped over her bulky boots and fell. She screamed as she became a victim of gravity and started rolling down the hill. Grabbing snow barely slowed her down, and the icy crystals stung her face as Carly rolled down, down, down.


Maya watched from the top of the hill, unsure of what to do. She bit her lip and turned to the cabin, running as fast as her little legs could carry her. "Daddy! Daddy!" she screamed. Tears began to stream down her face and freeze on her cheeks as the icy wind bit her face.


Rick turned and saw Maya running toward him, and Carly nowhere in sight. He came down the ladder and ran over to his youngest, gripping her shoulder. "What's wrong honey?!?"


"Carly fell down the hill!!" Maya sobbed.


Rick looked toward the lake and stood, breaking into a run. He reached the edge of the hill and watched helplessly as Carly rolled to the bottom and gasped as she slid onto the frozen lake.


"CARLY!!!" Rick yelled in panic. Maya came up behind him, hiccuping and wiping her eyes. She gasped as her eyes fell on Carly.


* * * *


Carly felt her eyes closing on her. She moaned and turned her head, looking toward the hill. She was at the bottom of it, and she could see Rick and Maya at the top. Carly put her hands in front of her and tried to push her body up. One of her hands slid in front of her, slamming forward. Small cracks appeared in the ground. Carly raised an eyebrow and looked around.


She wasn't at the bottom of the hill. She was lying on the frozen lake. Oak Lake.


Carly tried not to panic as she moved her hand back to her chest. She tried not to breath, not wanting her warm breath to melt the ice beneath her. Carly again pushed herself up, slowly inching her feet towards her hands.


Carly slowly stood up, brushing snow off her pants. She looked around the lake fearfully and glanced at the hill. Where ground was, where she would be safe. Land was only a few meters away, and thankfully the lake wasn't terribly deep- that didn't mean it still wasn't dangerous if she fell into it, especially in this weather. Carly shut her eyes, pushing back tears. She glanced down at her boots and took a deep breath. Carly tentatively took a step forward, a fearful expression on her face.


Then the ice cracked beneath her, and Carly screamed as she was submerged under the icy water and disappeared into the frozen lake.

January 22, 2021 17:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

21:49 Jan 23, 2021

WHY would you write a story that's so sad!?😭😢Very well done, though. I like your choice of words. And (the first sentence was meant as a joke) as you can see, you made me feel emotion.😁 Overall, great job

Reply

21:51 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks- I totally your feelings :) But a story that makes you feel something means it's good!!😄😊 Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
CA_pup Gamer
01:47 Jan 24, 2021

THE ENDING!!! WHY THE ENDINGGGG!!!!! good story tho. the end really a cliff hanger and i hope u cuntinue (or just tell me if shes survives or....ya know...☠💀.) i fell into a lake once (in my (stupid) defence, it tooked frozen over well) but being the (dumb) smart person i am i livedddd YAYYYYYYYYYY anways, she seems smarter then me so i think she will survive...but maybe that what i hope and i think she will die...cant ever rlly tell

Reply

12:49 Jan 24, 2021

The end is yours to determine😊🌹 -Lindsey

Reply

CA_pup Gamer
15:24 Jan 24, 2021

plz help me decide...if she dies im gonna be sad but thats a part of life (literly) but if she survives her familly will be very happy but might move away cuz they dont want that to happen...

Reply

Show 0 replies
CA_pup Gamer
15:24 Jan 24, 2021

plz help me decide...if she dies im gonna be sad but thats a part of life (literly) but if she survives her familly will be very happy but might move away cuz they dont want that to happen...

Reply

Show 0 replies
CA_pup Gamer
15:24 Jan 24, 2021

plz help me decide...if she dies im gonna be sad but thats a part of life (literly) but if she survives her familly will be very happy but might move away cuz they dont want that to happen...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
CA_pup Gamer
15:25 Jan 24, 2021

plz help me deside, if she dies im gonna be sad:( but its a part of life (legit) but if she survives her family will(maybe)be happy she survived, but they might move away cuz of what happend

Reply

Show 0 replies
CA_pup Gamer
15:25 Jan 24, 2021

plz help me deside, if she dies im gonna be sad:( but its a part of life (legit) but if she survives her family will(maybe)be happy she survived, but they might move away cuz of what happend

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 12 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.