That Is The Way It Is

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write a story about someone losing faith in an institution.... view prompt

0 comments

Black Fiction Crime

Yesterday evening, I got an email from the FDDC the body responsible for economic and financial crime in the country. I have been contacting them since one year now, asking me to reapply for the recovery of the tuition fee I paid to a school in London. In the mail, I was asked to follow application format as if I am in the exam hall taking examination. I just knew what that nonsense instruction means, they were looking tor excuse not to attend to me or one for not contacting me since one year now. 

Then they ended their diatribe that I should be aware that they don’t take commission or percentage from the recovered money. Imagine thought like that, it could only mean one thing, they have plan already to deep their filthy hands into the money. Is there any other meaning of that filthy line in the mail?, maybe, they were still trying to prove that I am not who I am, I didn’t meet the picture some of their collaborators painted of me while away.

Why did it take them a year to reply to my request and was laying trap with the reply?

This commission has changed their leadership not less than four times since I started following them, recently, they replaced their leader with a 32 year old man, where he garnered experience to lead that commission that were as corrupt as the police force, no one knows. Since he came on board, he had been talking the talk without corresponding action as if noise alone will do the work. 

The tale following the tuition I paid silently when I paid it is now generating unnecessary noise in the police and FDDC that I knew instantly that another branch have grown out of the tuition I had no knowledge of. 

You see, this money was paid about 17 years ago, and was told to forward my bank details when student visa was denied me, I did after returning all their documents as they requested. I waited for months checking and re-checking my account without any money in it, I sent mail upon mails without reply, the phone calls were unanswered and I later in the year went to Asia continent China to be precise for business where I spent years. 

When I finally returned to the country, I went to my bank, low and behold, there was no money in my account even though they refused to tell me how much inside there then. My first reaction was to search for the school contact information in the Net and started sending email to them again and when none was coming from them, I sought the help of London police without success, contacted the London education board without success and also their Parliament with instruction to chose any member of the house and forwards my complaint through him. According to the instruction, if he or she refused to forward my request to the house, then that would be the end of the issue. 

Imagine scenario of such nature. It sounds manipulative and dismissive to me. From the members they presented me, who I chose never got back to me. I refused to close my file on the issue. I started emailing the school again without reply. 

Then, I decided to get the Nigerian police involved and when nothing was fort coming from them, I contacted the FDDC since I was treating the issue as a scam by then. The commission would send back the machine generated reply that my message got to them without getting back to me. For a year, it was so. I was spamming them on the hope of getting their attention without success. I got angry and contacted INTERPOL in many occasions without hearing from them. 

I got confused, “this is global conspiracy” I shouted one morning in anger. I can't just believe they were all ignoring me for nothing. 

What do I do now?

I faced the bank again and they were playing games that were confusing to me. that made me to pay extra attention to them. Could you imagine telling me that the account didn’t belong to me that they suspected that I am imposter and was even expecting me to cower and when I stood my ground, they started giving me funny excuses about new federal guide lines and when I met all, they came out with even more reasons and finally, I was old hat the balance in the account was only three thousand naira. Those their acts raised my suspicions a notch and I began sending emails to their headquarter detailing my encounter with them. On each mail, the reply I was getting was that they had faith on their staffs account of the incident more than mine. Only God knows what they were told.

Imagine how that statement sounds, as if I was looking for work from them or something. See, the funny part of the whole issue is that they invited the police to frighten me with their presence as if I was truly an imposter they were trying to label me.

Wouldn’t you think that the bank was playing funny game?

The officers were on their side, the FDDC was on their side, the school wasn’t replying to tell me whether they have actually forwarded the money back or not. You see the quagmire I found myself?, I can’t face the bank with hundred percent assurance that the school have returned the money. The police and the FDDC that supposed to act in situation of this nature were misbehaving and they were all openly behaving like hooligans most citizens label them.

So, where do I turn for help now?

United nation?

African union?

Ecowas?

I had also contacted central bank of Nigeria on many occasions without success. 

“We treat cases police and banks have closed file on, if they are still investigating the issue, central bank can not get involved”

This was the first reply I got from any institution in the country that was closer to reply since more than a year. My fellow up mails to detail them on the activities of the bank, police and FDDC were ignored. 

Please, I need your help, do you know of any other institutions any where in the world that can help?

Get in touch immediately and your contribution would never go on noticed. The name is Philip, double Philip that is what I am known around here.

July 10, 2021 07:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.