The 'Road Trip' that Changed Her Life

Submitted into Contest #6 in response to: Write a story about someone who started a road trip ten years ago and hasn't stopped since.... view prompt

0 comments

General

The day was a warm fall day in the month of October just ten years ago. She had reached her lowest low. Her life wasn’t going the way she had envisioned it to go. But, she knew that her choices had landed her there. She had been traveling in the wrong direction for way too long. She made stops where she knew she shouldn’t have stopped. She paid for services that were not in her best interest. She befriended people who were not good for her. She made choices that put her life in danger.

She could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it seemed further and further away with every choice she made. She wanted so much more for her life. She could have been in places so much better than where she found herself at the time. She had to make a change. Go in a different direction. So, she decided to take a one-way ‘road trip.’ She vowed that she was not turning back. She would not return to her old self. Nor to her old life.

She made this change of direction her mission. She knew this change would only happen by traveling over and through the crossroads, dirt roads, rocky roads, potholes and dead ends, smooth highways, speed bumps, construction, traffic lights, and treacherous roads of life. She was willing and ready to turn her life around for the better. She was determined to start driving in the right direction.

But, first, she needed guidance and direction from the only One who she could trust. She sought Him out, and He heard her cry for help. She heard His words, so clearly. “I’m with you,” He said. She knew she would never forget hearing His still, small voice. She felt renewed and released of all she had done and places she had been. She felt like a new person, and ready to start anew. She had the permission and directions she needed for this ‘road trip’ that she knew would last a lifetime.

She, then, realized that here is where she was at a crossroads. She could move forward on her own, or be led by the One who gave her the right-of-way to proceed. She decided to be led by the One because she knew she would be better off with the One who knew and could see everything from a higher perspective than if she were to go on her own. So, she sought Him out on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis. She discovered that seeking Him out, regularly, was more difficult than she anticipated because there was another who was out to steal her newfound freedom and change of direction. But, she persisted in seeking out the only One who knew her and would guide and protect her.

She, also, knew that she needed to leave that treacherous wrong way street behind. She knew she had to put an end to this relationship that was tearing her down, verbally, physically, and mentally. This kind of abuse was intolerable. She had seen it done to her own mother, and so she vowed to never let it happen in her own life. Yet, here she was. He attacked her just that once, and that was all it took. She would never let it happen, again. She ended that abusive relationship by sending a ‘signature-required’ letter and never spoke to him, again. She had left a lot of her personal effects at his place, and she knew she would miss some of them; but, to her, they weren’t worth being in his presence for. She could live without those things. So, she did. She headed out and never looked back in her rear view mirror.

While traveling this newfound highway of life, she decided to take a detour that would lead her to the dirt road she had left for that bad relationship. These were her friends, who had cautioned her against this relationship. Yet, she didn’t listen to them. Now, she was returning to them to let them know they were right. She missed these friends that she could lean on. They were so much fun to be around. But, most of them didn’t know the One she decided to confide in. So, though the One was still with her, she had placed Him on the back burner to be with her friends and join in on their fun times of dancing and drinking and partying. It’s sad to say, but they influenced her more than she influenced them.

Then, that dirt road turned into a rocky road. This road was extremely rough on her, mentally and spiritually. Her mom passed away. Suddenly. Unexpectedly. Deep down inside, she couldn’t bear it. She had to, though, in order to appear strong for the rest of her family. She knew she was the next best thing to her mom, who was the rock of the family. She pushed through and made the necessary arrangements. She cried, nonetheless. Her heart was broken. She couldn’t understand why the One would take her mom so soon. Her mom was so young. Only 51 years of age. In the midst of her sorrow, He forced her to stop on this road and put everything in park. His presence forced her to choose between Him or the dirt road she had been on that was taking her down a steep slope. She took time to refuel, and decided to choose Him.

Because she pulled over, refueled, and chose the One who saved, redeemed, and restored her, her life was changing for the better. She had pulled back onto the feeder of life that would help her merge back onto the highway that would lead to her final destination. Though there was a new hole in her heart, the One filled it with His love, mercy, and grace. She could move on.

As she traveled the highway that would lead to her final destination, she found herself wanting to change lanes to look for love. She desired companionship on this ‘road trip.’ So, she turned to the internet. She knew she needed to be direct about her intentions, because the first hit was a dead end. It directed her into a valley full of potholes where she didn’t want to travel. So, she crossed back over into her lane, let the One take the wheel, and tried again. This time, she chose to merge onto the smooth highway. Here, she was able to set the cruise control and just focus on the road ahead. She had met the one whom the One had created just for her. This one was an answer to her prayer.

She knew that life would not always be a smooth highway, and she expected there to be potholes, speed bumps, and construction in this relationship. Some potholes proved to be more treacherous and damaging than others, and there were speed bumps that forced her to slow down, significantly. Then, there was the construction that changed them both. But, she wouldn’t change directions for anything in this world because she knew this is where she was supposed to be. She was so happy and in love with the man that is now her husband. They were traveling through life together, and she knew there was so much in store for them on the horizon.

What she didn’t know was what that green traffic light up ahead would hold for them both. “Green is good,” she thought to herself. He had two grown kids of his own, and he was fine with that. She had none. She wanted one of her own, so he agreed. That construction that changed them both? Their first child together they lost through a miscarriage. It was a boy. They were devastated! Heartbroken! Angry. But, they pressed on. Through many stops, yields, and goes, nine months later, they had another son. Such a beautiful gift after such sorrow.

Now, here she is, ten years later, still on that ‘road trip’ of life. Yes, she is definitely driving in the right direction. It is daylight where she is now, and the drive is so much smoother and easier to enjoy. She knows there is still so much road ahead, but knowing she is in the shelter of the One who saves and that she is in good company with her husband, she thinks, “What a ride this has been and what a ride it’s going to be!”

September 12, 2019 16:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.