2 comments

Fantasy

The electric cart was quiet, yet it broke the venerable, deep silence of the forest. It stopped, not in a field of grass, but of concrete. Lines marked parking spaces for cars long gone. 

 “Are you sure this is the place?” Bill asked. 

Sebastian answered, simply as always, “Yes.” 

They got out, walking past a faded sign that once had said Rainbow Springs State Park. No birds sang. Just the sound of insects buzzing. Bill wasn’t surprised, not these days. He took readings of the air and saw dark thunderclouds in the distance. “It will rain. In about two hours and fifteen minutes, by my calculations.” 

Sebastian spoke. “Let us finish this job then.” 

 They walked down a steep hill to a sidewalk overlooking a spring. Up ahead was a waterfall. But that was man-made and no longer flowed. Once it had in 2125. But things were different now. 

“There is not going to be any life here. I do not know why we came.” 

“Sebastian, one never knows.” 

“I know.” He stood, looking the clear spring water. Once he’d come with a young boy, long since gone. Jim had had blond hair and blue eyes. He remembered his laughter as the coldness of the water. He tried to get Sebastian to go in. Finally, he had waded in and they splashed each other. He’d seen Jim marry, have children. He’d been with his family many years. But that was a hundred and fifty years ago. Jim had died, Sebastian would not. Not unless he wished it.  

“You need to have a better outlook.” Bill stood, watching him. “There is much plant life here. We might find something.”  

Sebastian heard but didn’t answer. He was thinking about this place, how crowded it once was.  He had been told humans once numbered in the seven billion. That was before climate change had brought viruses. Before rabies mutated and went airborne. Along with malaria and bird flu. Most mammals had succumbed. Domesticated cats and dogs lived for a while, having been vaccinated. However, most of them had been neutered. So eventually they had died out. No one knew if wild ones lived. It was what they searched for. The only thing that seemed to live were insects. Not many mosquitoes, they began to die when the mammals did. Love bugs, as humans had once called them were still around. So were fire ants. Sebastian smiled at that.  

“Why call them thus?” he had asked Jim once. “They do not shoot fire nor grow flame.” 

Jim showed Sebastian the red welt. “This is why, brother. They hurt. And they are mean little bastards. The whole mound comes out and attacks. The burning bite is where they get their name from.”  

He realized Bill called his name. 

“Sebastian. The wise one has been wrong before. She willingly admits that. Therefore, she has asked us to check.” 

 Sebastian nodded and they walked along a cement walkway. “Well there is grass-wait, what is this?” In the rocks of the waterfall grew some blue flowers. “Perhaps there are bees after all. But no animals.” 

Bill knelt and took pictures of a small bush nearby. He held no camera, his eyes did the work and stored it in a hard drive. “I wonder if you are incorrect about that.” 

“Why do you believe I am incorrect?” 

“The leaves have been broken. See? It is as if something cut it. The tops are jagged.” 

“Curious, indeed. But not definitive.” 

“Yet still worth further investigation.” Bill walked along the banks of the river. He wondered if Sebastian didn’t need some filing and deletion therapy. He said as much to him. 

“I prefer to keep all my memories.” If nothing else, he could remember a happier time. Jim’s children only lived until middle age. But still special, full of laughter and tears. Then after there had been Susan. They had cherished each other. They held each other in the night, been together in the day. Painting or exploring. Working to keep the electric going that they needed, the internet they used to communicate with others. But eventually she had opted for death. That day she had begged for his forgiveness. She was exhausted she said, worn out in her spirit. Could not go on. He replied he did not blame her. He held her, shaking as she went into the darkness. After that he kept to himself. Sebastian worked with the others but no longer sought companionship. He was uncertain why he kept going when everyone else had left him. He could opt out as well. Others had done so, tired of what they ironically called living. Once he stayed for Jim, because of a promise. But now he was gone and wouldn’t know any different. There might even be an afterlife, a God. Jim always said it didn’t matter what Sebastian was. That he had a soul and don’t let anyone tell him different. In any event, he still was, looking for signs of life. His footsteps made scraping noises on the concrete. The wind blew back his brown hair that never grew. He wished it would rain. He liked the rain. When it fell on his face it felt like tears he would shed if he could.  

Bill was of a different mind. “Memories weigh you down, Sebastian. It is time to start afresh. I have. Why tolerate sadness? After all that was a human's burden. Let it remain with them. You should- “ 

Sebastian broke him off by holding up his hand. “Wait. What is that?” Up ahead, a cloud of blackness around a bush. “Why are those insects there?” 

“Probably after some garbage or other dead thing.” 

Here?” 

 Bill and Sebastian stared at one another. Then Sebastian ran to the cloud, nearly slipping. Bill was right behind him. Sebastian knelt, looking in the bush brushing away insects.  Back in it something trembled. Sebastian reached his hand in and drew out something translucent and green. It seemed to undulate.  

Bill looked over his shoulder. “Looks like a green plastic lawn bag, filled with water. We see them all the time. Plastic never deteriorates.” 

“Not a bag,” Sebastian’s voice was emotionless as always. But his next words stunned Bill. “It bleeds.” 

What?” 

Sebastian merely arose, holding the bag looking thing. It twisted in his grasp, biting at him, grabbed his hand in its mouth. He simply pulled it free and laid it on a nearby table. He held it down with both hands. Now Bill could see it didn’t quite resemble a garbage bag. It had a thick long body, a head with strange orange eyes. It looked more like a snake than a bag. He touched it. It felt like plastic mixed with a snake’s reptile skin. It hissed again. It reminded Sebastian of the sound a plastic bag rustling in the wind. He gently turned it and showed Bill the cut in its side. Blood leaked from it.  

“By the wise one what manner of being is this thing?” 

“I do not know.” 

“You are damaged, Sebastian. Your skin is torn.” 

“I do not matter right now. We must tend to the creature.” Sebastian pulled a backpack off his back. He found a towel and pressed it to the wound. It seemed to moan. It also twisted and flung itself about. Sebastian pressed harder.  

“Easy now, easy friend.” Sebastian said, as gently as he could. “I know it hurts. But we must put pressure on you to stop the bleeding.” To Bill he said, “help me hold it please. “ 

Bill held it behind its head so it couldn’t bite again. “Sebastian do not be irrational. It does not…” Bill stopped because the creature did seem to understand they were trying to help it. In any event it stopped struggling. It still moaned but laid still. After five minutes Sebastian moved the towel. The bleeding had slowed. 

“Bill please bring me glue,” he said. 

Bill searched the backpack. He found a tube of glue. Sebastian ran it along the edge of the cut. “I fear this will hurt, my friend.” Quickly he pressed the edges together. The thing made a sound like a screaming teakettle and then laid still. Sebastian scanned it. 

“The temperature is 95.0 F. It has a heart rate of 150 beats per minute. I do not know if that is normal. Given the loss of blood it has sustained I do not believe it is. Heartbeat is weak, but regular.” Sebastian pulled off his shirt. He gently wrapped the animal in it. “Let us bring it back with us, Bill. We might be able to heal it.” 

“If we cannot at least we may study it.” 

“Indeed.” The first drops of rain were beginning to fall. Usually he would stop, look up, let it hit his face. For once he hastened back to the cart, Bill following. Bill drove while Sebastian held the creature in his arms. They went back to the building where they stayed. Their home until they decided to move on, seeking biological life. 

At what once was a superstore everyone came to marvel at the creature. So did the wise one. She was so old she didn’t look human. She was metallic, squat. Once she had defused bombs for the police. They called her Einstein. She examined the creature gently. Finally, she looked up at Sebastian. She had no ability to speak, which is how no one knew she had obtained sentience. It was only when others came, able to read and decode her thoughts did they realize what she had. She spoke to Sebastian and the others via Bluetooth. 

“010101000110100001101….” she spoke and finished. 

“Yes, a combination of plastic and carbon-based life. That was my conclusion too.” Sebastian told her. 

Einstein spoke again. 

“How to feed it? I am not certain. It might eat leaves. We found some of it chewed. Nor do we know if it drinks although I think it would, having blood. We will find out.” 

Bill smiled. “Well we must care for this creature at least until it is strong enough to be freed. Hopefully this means there is animal life after all. If this creature has adapted, so may others. Now,” he looked at Sebastian, “Let us fix your hand please, before dirt and dust get inside.” 

Every two hours for the first day Sebastian brought it water and leaves. It was very weak, so he fed it by hand, holding out leaves, then water in an old eyedropper. Soon it, or he, as they discovered, was able to forage on his own. Sebastian named him Plas. It got around by slithering on the floor. One day Sebastian found it eating a box of polypropylene screws that was on the floor. He took the box. “You cannot eat that,” he told it firmly. It whined. Amazingly, the plastic did it no harm. He just digested it and excreted oils instead of urine. They discovered he needed both plants and polypropylene to be in good health. They thought its ancestors adapted from being infected with bacteria that humans had created to ‘eat” the plastic floating in the sea and the air. Plas also seemed intelligent. It was quickly housebroken. It was also affectionate, seeking out anyone who would pay it attention. He sought out Sebastian the most. When he went into his dream-state, Plas stayed with him. At first, he slept on the floor. One night Bill found the animal snuggled on Sebastian’s chest. As if it enjoyed the heat Sebastian gave off. When he awoke, Bill tried to reason with him. 

“You cannot get this creature used to you. Put it in its cage when you are dreaming.” 

He likes my warmth, I believe. Besides what harm does it do to me? To him? None.” Sebastian stroked Plas gently. It turned and flicked his tongue out, licking his hand. Sebastian smiled. Bill shook his head. Still, he could see Plas had an effect on his friend. He smiled more, talked to his colleagues. He even began to paint again. One night he played Parcheesi with Plas at his feet. He had not done that in a very long time. 

But as Plas became stronger he became restless. He began to whine more, staring at the windows, trying to escape. If Sebastian took him outside, he struggled in his arms. Finally, Bill and Einstein came to him. She put his hand on his waist and spoke. 

Sebastian nodded, looking at Plas. He was at the window. “I know, wise one. It is a wild animal. It has healed and must live free. The time has come to let it go.” He put Plas in his cage and brought him back to the river. When he opened the cage, the animal stared at him. Sebastian could almost hear his thought. I can go? Seriously? 

“Go, my friend. I will miss you. But it is time now.” 

Plas swiftly slithered away on the grass and soon disappeared, blending into the brightness of the summer day. Sebastian watched it go, then went back to his home. When he arrived, he found Bill and Einstein talking. 

“I heard my name. What do you discuss behind my back?” 

Bill shook his head. “Fine. I will tell you. You need deletion therapy.” 

Sebastian looked him in the eye. “Why? Because I have cared for Plas and will miss him? I have, after all, set him free.” 

“You do not seek out companionship. Instead you bonded with an animal that will soon forget you. It is irrational.” 

Sebastian raised a hand. “I do my work. That ought to be sufficient for you. However,” he looked at Einstein, “if the wise one deems it necessary then I will do the therapy.” 

Einstein spoke. In their minds they could feel her anger for putting her in this position. She finally finished. Sebastian answered her. 

 “I do not wish it. These memories have made me who I am. If I have a soul- “ 

“That was a human idea and irrational.” 

“So be it, Bill. These memories of whom I loved make my existence worthwhile. It does not matter if Plas forgets me. He needed care, so I gave it to him. This gives me a soul. I need to believe that in order to continue on.” He looked at Einstein. She waved, acknowledging his decision. Bill stared at both, then strode away. 

Ten months went by. Sebastian continued painting. There were no canvases, so he did it on the walls or the sidewalks. However, he became quiet again. Often Bill watched him. Thinking of him playing with Plas, talking to others. Now he had withdrawn back into himself. However, Bill said nothing more. They searched the area but found no more animals. They did find aqua-life in the river that had adapted to plastics. One fish was clear as glass, even its organs. Another was the color of an old milk carton. Bill was pleased. 

“The world is renewing,” he told Sebastian. “Strange species, yes. But renewing.” 

“Agreed,” was the simple reply. Sebastian took pictures, labeling the fish they found. They stood in the water, watching, Once, they saw a turtle carrying its offspring in loops attached to its shell. It looked like a six pack Sebastian had seen once. Eventually the babies ate through the loops and swam free. It didn’t seem to hurt the turtle. Sebastian smiled, pointed them out. Then he became silent again. 

 Rains came, bad enough to flood. One night Sebastian went into it, as he often did. Bill stood, undecided what to do. What is the use? he thought. He will only come in when he is ready

There is lightning. As if that would stop Sebastian. Bill decided to try anyway. Suddenly the night became day. He thought he saw something near the back door. 

It is nothing. How many times have you seen bags blow by? 

But this bag didn’t blow away. Another bolt of lightning lit the night. Now Bill could see there were more than one bag. 

Probably stuck on something. Bill went to look. Something hissed, struck out at him. Another form mewed. The first backed away so he could see the two wet, shivering creatures they protected. Bill pulled off his shirt and lifted the small ones into it. He cradled the bundle. Behind him, two shadows slithered along. When Bill opened the door they flowed inside. He found a dry blanket and a box for the creatures. They mewed softly. The father slid into the box and curled around them. The mother stayed outside, as if guarding them. But she allowed Bill to check the father. He found a scar. After, he went looking for Sebastian. He was dressing in front of a mirror. Most of them had kept human habits. 

“If you seek to lecture me,” Sebastian said, looking at Bill’s reflection, “you may leave now.” 

“No. I bring news.”  

“Is it important, Bill?” 

 “Yes. Apparently in the  Plastikos species the father feeds the young as a mammal would. The mother guards the father and the litter. Nearly bit me too.” 

Sebastian turned around. “What are you speaking of?” 

Bill smiled slightly. “Plas came home with his mate and two offspring. I saw them outside, near the back door. I brought them inside.” 

Sebastian walked swiftly to him, stuttering like he sometimes did. “W-Where?” 

“In the back office.” 

Sebastian ran to the office, Bill behind him. Sebastian opened the door, knelt. Plas saw the android, slithered out, and rubbed against his outstretched hand. He licked it. Then he flowed back into the box. The mother watched, calm now. 

“They do remember those who love them,” Bill said, kneeling also. “Intelligent.” 

 Sebastian looked at the two tiny creatures and the mother. He put his hand on Bill’s shoulder. “Thank you, my friend,” he said. 

Bill smiled at him. “I am glad to see them too.”

May 12, 2020 16:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hayley Eden
21:47 May 16, 2020

This gripped me from start to finish, I loved it! Really intriguing characters and world, too.

Reply

Michele Duess
19:13 May 17, 2020

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.