2 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Drama

Nishant and Ravi run Guru Cookies and Fast Food Centre, a fast food and confectionery eatery point in Chandigarh. Their shop was started by their father in 1978.Now the two brothers have taken the charge of the shop with their father too helping out occasionally. 

Last month Ravi came across an add in Facebook in which there was a mention about a Cookie making competition in London, United Kingdom where the biggest cookie would be awarded with ten thousand pounds reward. Together with it they would get an international recognition from an acclaimed institution. This would make the winner famous all over the world! 

Ravi had decided to take part in it. He approached Nishant, who first hesitated a bit, but finally agreed. Their father also supported them. 

Hence it was decided that Ravi, Nishant and two of their employees namely Dinesh and Shekhar would accompany them. Till the time they are in London, the shop would be managed by their father Prashant, with Lokesh and Deepak, their other two employees. 

So Nishant and Ravi set out to London together with Dinesh and Shekhar. They reach at 5pm in the evening and reach out to the office of the organizing group. They then are given the keys to their room nearby as they were providing accommodating facilities there.

The competition was to start in two days time.Both the brothers began to make a plan so as to make the biggest cookie in the competition.They began estimating the amount of ingredients required,the equipments,time required,the right combination etc.Dinesh and Shekhar too gave their valuable advice.Both of them had been working in their shop since 7 and 9 years respectively.Thus both had a rich experience in making all types of confectioneries.

The competition finally started.There were competitors from as many as fifty three countries.Hence it was going to be a tough competition!

Nishant and Ravi named their team as Team Ahmedabad!They were given all the required ingredients and equipments and four hours time!

All the four started out!Dinesh and Shekhar began making the cookie dough.It had to be much as the cookie size was required to be big.It alone took one hour to make!

Meanwhile Nishant and Ravi were making and getting all the other things required for the cookie.

Then they began pressing the dough in a big pizza pan.They were making a cookie pizza! It was more than the usual size .The pizza pan they had used was especially made for this competition.It was huge!

Then they closed it and began to bake it in a huge oven, provided by the organizers.Fourty minutes time was set by Shekhar for the pizza to bake as it was unusually big size.They had used chocolate chip cookies dough for a tastier cookie pizza! Meanwhile all four began thinking about the means to decorate it.

They brought in coconut,m&ms, caramel bits,Oreos, chocolate chips,melted peanut butter,sprinkles, marshmallows.

Then the dough was allowed to cool completely.They put it in the freezer to let it cool faster.Then they put frosting on top of it.

Now their cookie pizza was ready!They did it in a little more than three hours time.They waited patiently for the invigilator to come and see it.

Meanwhile they saw other competitors also beginning to complete their cookies.They knew that it was going to be a tough competition.

Finally they final bell rang and the organizers gave the signal to all the participants to submit their work.They came to each table and began tasting the cookies.

One judge came to Team Ahmedabad's table.As he tasted their cookie, Ravi and Nishant could see the delight in his face.He asked a bit about the ingredients and the process of making it .Then he went to the other table.

The results were to be announced in the evening at 5 pm.All the participants were requested to head for lunch and come back to the venue at sharp 4:30 pm.

Team Ahmedabad also went to have their lunch.Ravi said that they had a fair chance to win the competition.Nishant, Shekhar and Dinesh agreed! After having their lunch they decided to go and see their surrounding area . They walked a km or two and saw the beautiful city of London.A Japanese team who were participating in the competition, were also walking the street.They began striking a conversation with the Indian guys.While talking like this, they reached the venue where the results were to be announced.

The organizers requested all the participants to take their seats.The celebrity guests began arriving soon.Now it was the time for the results to be announced.

The first name was of Team Kenya.They had won the third prize! The members of their team went to stage and collected their award.They won one thousand pounds reward!

Then the judges announced the second prize winners.It was won by Team Montreal of Canada.The members of Team Montreal were extremely delighted.They won five thousand pounds!

Now it was the time for the grand prize.Ravi was very nervous.Nishant began to comfort him saying let us see what happens.Even if they donot win, atleast they competed with so many teams of the world.Participation is more important than winning.

Then the final moment arrived.Ravi could not believe his ears.The judges announced Team Ahmedabad of India as the winners!

Nishant hugged Ravi.Shekhar,Dinesh were delighted!The entire team went to the stage and were cheered by hundreds of people.They had made it at last!

They were interviewed by representatives of Daily Mail,The Daily Telegraph,The Western Mail and many more.

Ravi and Nishant called back home to give the grand news to their family.All were highly excited.Their hard work had paid off.

Next day they had their flight in the evening.They decided to do a little sight-seeing.They visited Kew Gardens,Hyde Park,Madame Tussauds ,Big Ben,St.Paul's Cathedral.

They reached New Delhi at 3 am and took the connecting flight to Ahmedabad next day in the morning.The entire family had come to the airport in Ahmedabad to welcome them.There were also many local people including their neighbours and a small band to celebrate their win.

They had made their country proud and had an achievement to be proud of!

The aftermath of this win was good for all.Shekhar,Dinesh,Lokesh and Deepak,the employees of their shop were given a salary hike and Rs.15000 each.The sales in their shop began to grow as they had become quite famous after winning the competition.And have framed their photo receiving the award and put it in the centre of their shop 'Guru Cookies and Fast Food Centre' in Ahmedabad!

December 05, 2020 15:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Merel Cooijmans
11:06 Dec 17, 2020

The storyline is great :) only the story itself is moving a little fast for me. It only tells what happens. A good exercise would be if you rewrite the story for yourself once from the perspective of Nishant and once from the perspective of Ravi. Really get into what they smell, feel and think. the potential is really there. Keep writing :) you really have the fantasy to become an amazing writer

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hema Saju
06:22 Dec 17, 2020

was happy to read a story based in India. Nice try. Shows the Indian spirit of friendship. I would like to suggest that you make use of 'Grammarly', an app for grammar check. India is a country with so many stories, beliefs and customs. Why don't you try to move beyond the familiar and introduce the unknown India to the world? Expecting to read something really interesting next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.