0 comments

Fantasy

 

I hate daylight savings time. It is always right before the end of my school quarter, and we have a lot of tests. So, of course, I want all that time to study. But, nope, spring wants to start and that leaves me with less sleep and less time. And I know, you might think I’m overreacting, but you’re going to have to get used to it.  

I am Phoebe Tala Reyes. I am a junior in high school, and this year has been the hardest of my life. Sometimes I which I could just travel in the future, so I can skip all this college application stuff. And I haven’t even gotten started on the ACT and SAT, which I've been preparing for since 7th grade. My sister, Eleanor, is a freshman in college, but we’re twins. She’s practically perfect and is the smartest person in our little Tennessee neighborhood. She’s going to grow up and become a doctor, have 5 kids, and have a perfect life. Me, on the other hand, well, I want to be an artist. My parents being Philippine immigrants, want me to have a better life than that. They want me to do what they did and start a business.  

Anyway, I just set my clock ahead an hour. Good night! 

I just woke up, and my house looks completely different. I look completely different. I have wrinkled hands and white hair. I see children moving around with VR simulations attached to their heads. The mirror is a smart mirror. I tap it, and it shows me the date. March 9, 2090. I silently scream not able to believe what happened. Somehow, someway, I willed myself to travel 70 years in the future. Now I understand why this house is so technologically advanced, why I am so old. But out of all places to live, why would I still live here? I laugh at the thought. I have always wanted to travel to NYC, but in 60 years I am still here. I want to ask questions, maybe I can fake amnesia? No, that won’t work. I will have to figure this out myself. I look around the bedroom, and I see pictures. But they’re not printed, they are all on screens, changing before my eyes. I look over to the nightstand and see a slim metal rod. I pull it apart and a screen comes out. It seems like the 2090 version of a cell phone. I see apps and I press on the phone icon. Huh, though the technology is so different, apps still look the same. I see many names now come up. First, I see my sister’s name, and I press on messages. I scroll back as far as it can go and start reading, trying to figure out my history. 

After about 10 minutes of reading messages, I hear a knock on my door. I say, “come in”, and I am surprised by my voice. It sounds scratchy and old. The lady at the doorway says, “Hi Aunt Phoebe, would you like some breakfast?” I HAVE A NIECE! “Of course," I say surprised at how easily that came out. “Okay, the usual?” She asks. “Yes, please,” I respond. Obviously, I don’t know what the usual is, but I am going to figure out. 

I follow her into the kitchen. I see smart fridges, smart microwaves, and an extension onto the kitchen. Instead of our usual six-person table, there is a very large circular table right in the center of the kitchen. I see my sister and notice the resemblance from the lady who came to my room to her. In the Philippines, they loved multiple generations living in one household, so I guess that’s what is happening nowadays too. I can tell that my nice is the head of the household, and for some reason her mom, AND I live here too. I see three kids' stull running around, which my niece is scolding. I also see a man, eating fast, in a suit and an old man next to my sister. I guess I have no husband, even now. That’s what I've expected my whole life, but it’s so weird to see it come all into play. Or maybe I did have a husband, but I don’t know him now. I just need to figure out more about this world and how I can go back. I can't live for this short!

My niece, (whose name is Millie) gave me a blueberry bagel with cream cheese. Nice to know that at least my sense of taste hasn’t changed after all these years. I feel like I am living in a different world Even in 70 years, everything is so different. I just want to explore it all, but I can’t seem suspicious. As I was staring at the smart fridge, Eleanor said: “Phoebe, what’s wrong?” “Nothing”, I croak out, afraid to give myself away. “Even though we’re old lady’s, I can tell when my sister has something on her mind, so what’s up?” “I’m telling you; I am fine.” Now I sound like my old self again. Phew! Wait, maybe that’s not the best. Eleanor might get a bit suspicious. But I don’t know what she’ll think. Maybe time travel is common these days. Maybe that’s how I got here. 

At least in the future, I am still myself. Imagine if I had traveled to some time when I wasn’t alive. Then what would happen? Maybe I will want to be a scientist now. Just to figure out I had gotten here. If I ever do come back in the present.  

Anyway, that morning was as normal as 70 years in the future could ever be. I figured out some information on why I live with my sister’s family. Apparently, I had a husband who dies about a year ago. I was always sad, and everyone had to check on me. About six months ago, I moved in here, but I am still a bit crabby. I have no kids, and my husband died of a heart attack. I still don’t know his name though, it seems forbidden to speak his name in this house like they’ll offend me. 

After breakfast, Millie said “I am going to head to the grocery store today. Mom, Aunt Phoebes, do you want to come?” “Sure, sweetheart,” I said. It was like I was playing a role in a movie. Everything felt so serene and unreal. “OK, grab your cell.” I am assuming this means the phone, so I go back to my room to grab it. I walk so differently than I did when I was a teen, only about 2 hours ago. Old age has really hit me like a brick, and my joints hurt after walking 50 feet. I meet Millie outside and get a first glance at the car. 

Millie’s car is a sleek black vehicle, with pop' out wings. Yep, in 2090 flying cars are the reality. She walks over to the drivers’ seat and starts the car with her brain. I hadn’t noticed this before, but everyone has to little earplugs, that control everything with their neurotransmitter signals. Everything had been brought to me, so I hadn’t had a chance to use it. No more keys, handles, or anything of the sort. 

I stayed in that future world for the rest of the day, and at night Eleanor said “Phoebe, you’ve seemed off today. Are you sure that everything’s all right? Are you missing Daniel again?” I finally figured out his name! Yay! Now I have got to find the love of my life someday... and his name will be Daniel... because that is how time played out. “Yes,” I reply, nodding slowly. “It’s ok, you’ll always have me,” Eleanor replies with a sad smile on her face. “ I will always remember that,” I reply, thinking back to the present. Sometimes I really hate Eleanor, but is that the right thing to do? In the future, she is so nice to me. I now need to go back to the present and apologize. Right as I say I'm going to sleep, I silently wish I was back in 2020, filling out college applications.  

When I woke up, I was back in the present. I went and found Eleanor and gave her a big hug. I was so happy all day! But what I didn’t know is that my trip to the future.... was all a dream.

Now that I am studying this, years in the future, I know there was no time travel. I have no husband named Daniel, and I live in NYC. I wanted to share this story, because what you wish for... sometimes might just be in a vision. That was what happened to me.





JUST KIDDING____THIS IS ALLLLL FICTION 

April 03, 2020 15:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.