1 comment

Romance

I stared at my reflection in the mirror and scrunched my nose. My damn hair didn't want to keep in place! I ran my fingers through it, trying to calm it down, but it still ended up looking like I had just gotten out of bed. And not in the bad boy way rock stars wore it.

"Stop it right now," I commanded.

It was not shocking when my hair didn't obey, but it was no less frustrating. I let out a scream. Why was this happening now? I had my jacket on, my best shoes on my feet, and ten minutes to spare before leaving so I would be fashionably late. This was the last piece of the puzzle.

I opened my laptop sitting on the bathroom counter. As soon as it was turned on, I found a pair of brown eyes staring at me. I immediately felt more at ease. Her dark curls looked amazing in the picture, her legs long and flawless in her red shorts. She looked older, of course, she did, but not at all less beautiful. I longed to see her, feel her, which I could not do if I didn't manage to make myself presentable.

Opening a jar of gel, I smoothened my hair, pushing it back. Elle had always said my hair looked awesome when I did that, so I decided to go for it. It looked decent, which was all I could ask for right now. With a final look at the mirror, I concentrated my attention on the beautiful girl in my computer. As I had done a thousand times before, I went past her profile pic and began scrolling down. There she was, smiling and serious, with friends and alone, but always gorgeous. 

Fifteen years. I couldn't believe it had been that long since the last time we had talked to each other. It had been even longer since the last time we had kissed. God, I wanted to kiss her now. Grab her as soon as I saw her and let her know how much I've missed her. I couldn't, though. I knew that, no matter how hard I wanted to forget it.

With that last grim thought, I closed the laptop and left the bathroom. The ten minutes were up. As I walked out of my home, I touched the piece of paper inside my pocket. A grin formed in my face. Everything was going to be okay. 

Once inside the Uber—my damn car just had to break down—and well into the road, my mind wandered somewhere far away. I was in my junior year, my hair effortlessly great, unlike now. Elle sat beside me; our hands intertwined under the table. Miss Smith, our awful Chemistry teacher, went on and on about acids and bases. I sighed, wishing I could escape from here. I stared at the girl to my right, taking notes and listening to every word that dinosaur said. 

"Are you really paying attention?" I whispered in disbelief. Though I pretended to be shocked, I knew the answer. Elle loved learning. Smart and pretty; I couldn't ask for more. 

"It wouldn't kill you to do the same, you know." She shot me a playful smile before returning her attention to the formulas on the board. 

But I knew it would. Chemistry was pretty much the worst subject in the world, a science designed to torture me. I had only signed up for this course because Elle was there and I wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.

"I like paying attention to you better." I winked and she laughed softly.

A honk drove me back to reality and I realized startled that we were almost there. I didn't feel startled about how much it had changed. I lived half an hour away, so I drove past it at least once a week. I did feel nervous, though. My stomach turned and I had to fight the urge to fix my hair once again. 

Thanking the driver, I got out and walked inside the school. Before I even got to the gym, I saw people talking in the hallways, as we had never left. Bethany and Robert waved at me; Alice’s laughter echoed across the place. 

I entered the gym and scanned the room. No black curls on sight, not the once I was looking for anyway. I put my hand in my pocket and caressed the piece of paper inside. Don’t worry, I told myself. She’s going to come. 

“Hey, Jeff. How’ve you been?” A hand clapped my shoulder. I turned around to find a short man that I’m pretty sure had been on the football team. I was pretty sure his name was Adam.

I nodded and smiled, though my eyes were glued to the gym door. “Can’t complain. How are you?”

He launched into a story about an existential crisis, a party, and a baby. I heard about twenty percent of it. He didn't notice, though. His hand gestures got bigger and bolder as the story went on and his amount of words per minute shot up. He was clearly excited about what he was talking about.

I couldn't bring myself to care. 

"Well, yeah, and that's how I met my wife. Crazy story, huh?" 

"Yeah, insane."

"And have you had any contact from anyone from high school since the good old times? I see Christine all the time because our daughters are best friends and I play poker with the guys from the football team once a month... Oh, and I occasionally run into Elle at the store; we always find each other in the cashier."

My mind cleared and, for the first time, I devoted my full attention to Adam. Not wanting to seem too eager, I pretended to think for a second. "I didn't really keep in touch with anyone. But tell me, how's Elle? I haven't talked to her in forever."

Though that was technically correct, I failed to mention that also I browsed through her social media at least once a week. And, sometimes, when I was feeling a bit lonely, even went to this little coffee place I know she likes. 

The first time I was there, it was by accident. I had been at a business conference and in desperate need of caffeine before hitting the road home. The shop had seemed nice and less pretentious than the usual Starbucks, which was always a plus. So I stepped inside, smelling that familiar scent of coffee and warm pastries. Licking my lips, I placed my order. I could already taste the chocolate chip muffin.

With my cup and plate in hand, I walked to one of the tables in the back of the place, ready to enjoy some sugar before the trip. I had just sat down and was taking my phone out when I saw her. She was wearing a tight tube skirt and a blazer, her curls tamed in a bun. Before I realized what was going on, I had already gotten up and was walking closer to where she was. But then I noticed the shadow standing behind her, his hand on her waist. 

"What are you in the mood for?" The guy asked her, and she smiled. My stomach turned; my fist curled. 

"You." Elle kissed his cheek and the edges of my vision darkened. She was mine. I willed my breath to stay steady and, without a second thought, abandoned my food and left that damn place. I was walking to my car, my eyes set on the pavement, when someone ran into me, making me stumble. I looked up, to find a man with an apologetic look, cellphone in hand. 

"Sorry, buddy. I didn't see you there."

My jaw clenched. All I could see was his clothes, black suit with a blue tie, like the guy touching my Elle had been wearing. 

"I'm not your buddy."  

With one swift move, my fist knocked him square in the face. I heard a crack and a scream. I didn't wait around to see the damage. Instead, I continued walking to my car and got in as fast as I could. 

On my way home, I analyzed the whole afternoon. I couldn't believe she had found someone. Someone who wasn't me. I wanted to forget her, but something in me knew I could never do it. So I came back. Just once every few months, to check on her and her relationship. Elle always came in around five. She ordered a chai latte and sat with her laptop in front of her. And, to my misfortune, the guy was usually with her.

"She's doing fine," Adam said, bringing me back to reality. "She has a great job and seems like she's pretty happy. Actually, Elle said she was coming tonight so you can ask her yourself later."

I knew that already but it’s always good to hear confirmation. “Yeah, I will. But now I have to go to the bathroom. Excuse me.”

I walked away from the chatterbox and out of the gym. Forty minutes since the party began and still no sign of Elle. I checked my phone and realized there was a new post from the girl I had been seeking so desperately. She was sitting on the edge of a bed, smiling with her eyes bright and a glass of champagne in hand. “Living my best life” read the caption.

Living her best life. While I waited for her like an idiot in a high school reunion. 

Another look at the picture gave me an insight into her location. Behind Elle was a brochure with the crest of the East Hotel, which was, coincidentally, the only hotel close to the school. She had come after all. In less than two minutes, I was out of that stupid gym and jogging to her. I cursed myself again; why couldn’t I have driven here?

I barely remember the walk. I don’t know how long it took me to get there; didn’t feel the cold or the way my jaw tightened. My blood was running hot, my fist itching for some action. Before I knew it, I found myself in front of the hotel. Looking at the tall building in front of me, I realized I didn’t have a clue what to do next.

“What are you doing, Jeff?” I asked myself out loud.

I put my hands in my pockets and turned around, ready to go home. But then I felt it. I took out the piece of paper, slightly crumbled and turning yellow. I opened it and saw the words I had memorized so many years ago.

Meet me after Bio. Let’s ditch and go have fun. Just you and I, like it always should be. xo, Elle.

I remembered that day. We had held hands as we walked out of school, laughing like children. We ate ice cream and kissed and talked. I could still taste the strawberry on her lips. It had been just the two of us, like it always should. She had said it herself.

My resolve faltered and, without hesitating, I went inside. It took me about twenty seconds to bribe the concierge and find her room number. Another thirty to get to her floor. I knocked once, twice, thrice.

“What’s going on?”

A man opened the door. He was wearing a robe and looking flustered. I didn’t care about him, though. I only had eyes for the person behind him, laying on the bed with a shirt that clearly wasn’t hers. If I squinted, I could see her underwear lying on the floor.

That did it.

I raised my arm and punched the boyfriend straight in the face, as I had done than time in the coffee shop. Except, this time, I didn’t stop. He staggered backward, holding his nose with one hand, and I stepped inside. I landed a blow on his stomach, hard and fast, taking his breath away. The force of the impact made him fall down.

“What do you think you’re doing with her?” I yelled as I kicked him. “She’s mine!”

I punched, kicked, and yelled. Hit by hit, his face got bloodier and his attempts of defense grew weaker. I could hear movement around me, someone screaming for help, but I couldn’t stop. All I could see was her, laying on that bed, taking her panties off for him. Kissing him like she had once kissed me.

“Get off him!” Multiple arms went to grab me, pushing me away from the sucker that stole my girl.

“Let go of me!”

I struggled to free myself, to no attempt. Four hands pushed me towards the wall and held me there. I stopped moving and raised my head, locking my stare with a set of brown eyes I had been dreaming of for the last decade. She was kneeling in front of the guy, murmuring something I didn’t understand. But she was looking straight at me.

“Jeff, why are you doing this?” Tears ran down her cheeks.

I smiled, content to be finally reunited, no matter the circumstance. The way my name rolled off her tongue was perfect.

“We belong together, Elle. You are mine.”

August 14, 2020 21:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jacob F
18:12 Aug 20, 2020

Interesting. You did a good job with taking this prompt and elevating it to something interesting. The whole story is strange in a sense and that makes it interesting, but I'm not crazy about the tone and writing. I really liked the crumpled paper and then the revealing of what it was; that was great. The ending was funny and strange, not what I had expected. My only gripe with it really is the writing. I just didn't find a lot of it interesting. It just flows along for me, not bad, but again, not great.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.