A bird named Calm

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write about someone who’s been sent to boarding school.... view prompt

2 comments

Friendship

Menes perched glumly in the small taxi that was taking him to his boarding school. He never really wanted to go, but his parents insisted. Why now? Couldn't I wait a few years? Menes thought. His sister, Valeri was next to him in her pink hoodie. The hood was over her face, so Menes couldn't see her face, but he could tell she was crying.

"It's not going to be so bad," Menes said reassuringly. "You'll make friends. Then we can see mother and father again." Valeri sniffed and lifted her hoodie. Menes could see she was sad and fatigued. "Did you even sleep last night?" Menes inquired of her. Valeri shook her head. Her brown hair was a chaotic mess, she had red eyes, and her face looked a bit shiny from all the tears.

"We're here!" The taxi driver said cheerfully. "Thank you," Valeri and Menes said at the same time. 

Menes handed the taxi driver money and looked up at the big boarding school. The school was big and colorful, unlike the one in his nightmares that was big and grey. Students mingled all over the place, on the playgrounds, the picnic tables, the balcony, and the basketball and soccer fields. Valeri gasped. "Let's head inside!" Menes said eagerly. As they walked into the school, Menes saw there were plenty of outdoor activities.

There was a huge lobby, with a desk in the middle. Two waterfalls streamed down both sides of the desk. There were comfy lounge chairs by the walls. A large sign hung above them that said, Welcome students!

"Hello, young learners!" Said a lady across from the desk. "I haven't seen you before. Well, here are your Maps. Your first-class is tomorrow, here. What are your names?" "I'm Menes, and this is Valeri," Menes said nervously. "Ah! Your rooms are right next to the art room. Announcements at lunch, don't be late! My name is Mrs. Jem by the way." Mrs. Jem said. "Thanks, Mrs. Jem!" Menes said cheerfully.

"I want to see my dorm room," Valeri said. "I want to get settled first. Then I'm writing letters for Mom." "Okay Val. Just, have fun okay?" Menes said. Valeri nodded before skipping off.

Menes stepped outside the school building and met up with some kids that looked like his age. "Hi." They all said. They were playing some game with rocks, and there was a large pile of random things in the middle. Are they gambling? Menes thought. Surely not. They were too young to know how to gamble. "What are you playing?" Menes asked. "It's called none-your-business." One of the kids said snootily. Menes frowned and sat down. "How do you play?" Menes asked the snooty boy. "Didn't you hear me? I said none-your-business!" The boy practically yelled. Menes sighed and got up. Making friends was going to a lot harder than he thought.

(Time skip by two months)

By now, Menes was fed up. He had no friends, unlike Valeri, who was constantly getting swept away by girls. Menes sat alone at the lunch table and sighed. He liked the school. Being friendless, wasn't new to him. He had never made a friend. It's just, he was so lonely. His teachers could tell too. Menes' grades were constantly dropping, going from -A, to -B, to -C, to -F. He sat alone at a corner of the class, doing classwork. Menes never raised his hand or volunteered. He was just simply quiet.

As Menes sat in math class, there was a quiet Tap, Tap, Tapping on the window. A small bird was perched there. Menes looked around to see if anyone was eyeing him. Menes carefully opened the window, and to his surprise, the bird hopped right on his arm. Menes gasped with surprise.

"Menes? Can you answer the question on the board?" Mr. Galivosky, the math teacher. "Huh?" Menes said looking up. A few kids giggled. Mr. Galivosky, however, was not amused. "Menes, can you solve the equation? 33+20(15-10)?" "Um, 133?" Menes asked. Mr. Galivosky scowled at him. "Correct Mr.Menes, pay attention next time."

Menes checked his arm where the bird was perched. "Can they see you? Wow, what am I doing? Talking to a bird!" Menes mumbled to himself. The bird chirped in answer. The bird was brown, with a yellow chest, and specks of white on his eyes and wings. Menes stroked the bird, and it contently snuggled on his arm.

After class, Menes met up with Valeri. "Look at my bird," Menes said, showing her the small creature. "It's cute!" "What bird. Menes, are you okay? I don't see anything." Valeri said. Menes felt sick. Was the bird real, or was it just his wild imagination? The bird nuzzled against Menes. "Oh, okay. Just gonna go do homework! Yep!" Menes said in his most cheerful voice. "Are you sure if you nee-" "Nope I'm fine!" Menes said. Valeri grabbed his arm, the bird jumped away and landed on his head. "Menes, you're not okay." By this point, there was a circle of students around them. Menes jerked away from Valeri. "I'm fine. I don't need your sympathy." Menes said fiercely.

Valeri looked hurt. Guilt spread through Menes like a wildfire. A black-haired girl swept Valeri away. "He's such a freak," Menes heard the girl say. Valeri laughed and walked away.

Menes ran off, but he could feel the cold stares. They were watching him. Judging him. The small bird on his head seemed distressed and squirmed. Menes picked the bird up and held it in his hands. The warm steady heartbeat of the bird calmed Menes. "What should I name you, little one?" Menes asked the bird. The bird chirped and snuggled into his hands. "Well you're no help," Menes said with a laugh. "I'll name you calm. Would you like that?" The bird chirped sleepily. Menes smiled. Menes finally realized, he was outside. The clouds were grey and stormy, and the pitter-patter of rain hitting the floor, echoed around the school. "Hi." A voice said from behind Menes. He whipped around, waking Calm in the process. "What's that in your hands?" A girl asked from the doorway. Menes slowly opened his hands, to reveal the sleepy creature. "Aww! Is it injured?" The girl asked. "Y-you can see him?" Menes asked. "Of course I can silly. What's your name?"

"Menes."

"Cool. My name is Sophie. What's his name? I-I mean if you named him."

"His name is Calm."

Menes walked inside with Sophie. "No one else can see him. Look." Menes called to a student who was passing by. "Can you see what's in my hands?" Menes asked. "No. Your hand is completely empty." The student said with a skeptical look. "Well, that's weird," Sophie said. The student walked away.

"Let's make calm a bed. I know the best materials in the art room!" Sophie said eagerly. Menes smiled.

Then it hit him. He had just made his first friend ever.

October 20, 2020 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zunairah Irfan
17:11 Oct 23, 2020

Wow Esther! I love it. How do you come with these awesome stories!

Reply

Esther Ojifinni
14:29 Oct 27, 2020

Thanks, Zunariah Irfan! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.