37 comments

Creative Nonfiction Suspense Funny

Cinnamon Cookie Cure All

I remember Granny, my mom's mom, being about as round as she was tall. She was a fireball of energy carrying a big stick. Usually a yard stick she wasn't afraid to use on your backside if you didn't stick to the straight and narrow. She mostly aimed it at my younger brother, 'the Little Scheister'. He especially would get in trouble for hiding her yard stick.

Granny lived with us on and off throughout my childhood. Most of the time she lived in our house where ever that was, in Texas when I was very young, or later in junior or high school in Northern Illinois. But for a few years we were in her house in Southern Illinois. That's where I remember her doing the most baking. Mostly it was bread she baked. We so seldom had store bought bread we thought it was a treat. However, we loved the aroma of the freshly baked bread emanating from the kitchen.

Sometimes it was pies she baked. Usually apple pies made from the apples of the orchard between the house and her Airstream-wanna-be trailer she had moved into while my family of eight occupied her two bedroom house. Whenever she did pies she always had a little left over pie crust she would roll out, spread with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and give it to us kids warm out of the oven while we were drooling for the pies which were off limits until deemed otherwise. It was one such occasion that I remember helping her...

“Hey, Sweetie, go into the pantry and bring me a jar of apple preserves and the big can of cinnamon for me, please. Maybe I'll have enough dough left over to make some pie dough cookies but my cinnamon shaker is almost empty.”

“Be happy to, Granny.”

Well, 'happy' may not have been the right terminology to use. 'Willing to' for the promise of sprinkle cookies may be more accurate. Her kitchen space was very limited so going 'into the pantry' meant going to the glass-enclosed back porch and down into the cellar. The cellar with extremely steep, narrow concrete steps and dungeon-type ambiance.

Granny climbed up and down those steps all the time on wash day to use the wringer style washing machine down there. With us six kids and Mom and Dad living there her wash day was nearly every day. I helped her hang clothes on the line outside but usually avoided that cellar as much as possible. That cellar also swallowed the coal used for heating the house through a small side window chute. It was a dark, dank, deplorable and daunting hole under the house.

So as I was happily going after apples and cinnamon I was praying with each precarious step downward that the light switch would work. Please let there be light, please let there be light.

Of course, no such luck. The God of Light did not see things my way. It must have been His day of rest. I flicked, it faulted.

I knew the washer was straight ahead a few paces and the 'pantry' room or more commonly referred to as the 'root cellar' where produce and excess kitchen supplies were stored was over to the left. Behind that room would be the coal storage room next to the furnace.

Oh, how I wished I had asked my statuesque sister to come along on this expedition. What if the light inside the pantry won't work either or I couldn't reach the string to pull in the middle of the room? I should have brought a flashlight. Think cinnamon-ly thoughts. This will all be worth it soon. I can almost taste and smell the apple pies baking. Like Pavlov's dogs my mouth is watering.

Ooph! Yep, there is the winger to the washer. Right where I knew it should be. In the middle of my path. “Ouch!” That is gonna leave a mark. Oh, Cinnamon, where are you?

“It's okay, Granny, I am halfway there...” I shout back to her questioning call.

A few steps to the left and there is the guardian door to the riches of the household. Of course, being so damp-ish down here it does not give up its duty easily. I have to put my shoulder into it and “Ouch!” again.

That hurt! But at least I am inside. Right where we keep our abundant supply of spider webs. I frantically brush through the curtain of them inside the doorway searching for the hanging cord for the light. The pain and suffering I am enduring will surely all be worth it in the end. How does Granny manage this so effortlessly? Oh, right. She sends unsuspecting children into her dungeon to retrieve essential treasures. How many has she already sacrificed? Where are my two older sisters anyway?

As I bounce up and down hoping to miraculously snag the light cord my foot glances off something below me and my twisted ankle sends me crashing to the floor. Ow! Insult to injury! What is all over the floor? I feel around me and it feels like gravel. Am I in a gravel pit? I swipe my forehead in wonder.

Oh, no! I floundered into the wrong room. This is the coal bin as I can make out by the weak light barely filtering in through the grimy window once my eyes adjust. I better get out of here before someone decides now would be the perfect time to deliver a yard of coal. I scamper out as fast as a twisted ankle and sore rump allows and struggle to yank the door shut behind me.

Feeling along the wall I locate the other door and get it open much easier. A step or two inside and the light cord hits me on the nose. Searing white light blinds me when I pull on it. Ah, at last I have found what I have been looking for. Rows and rows of neatly stored canned preserves and boxed goods. I find what I need and carefully map my way out again before switching off the light.

Back in the welcoming kitchen Granny surveys my uneven gimp, bruised hand, cobweb veil and blackened face and asks if there was any trouble.

“Nothing a little cinnamon cookie couldn't cure, Granny.”

October 20, 2023 00:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Kevin Logue
08:36 Oct 20, 2023

This was a lot of wholesome fun. The dark descent into the cellar was pure comedy, the bangs, the bumps, the coal room, all heighten by great lines such as the storage of your abundance of cobwebs.😆 The story of your brother in the beginning gave me a nostalgic feeling, my own granny proffered a wooden spoon for use on the back of the legs, so I hid it once. That was the day I discovered a spatula is the superior attitude adjuster! Ha!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:27 Oct 20, 2023

So glad you enjoyed it and it brought back memories even if they were somewhat painful:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
00:41 Apr 22, 2024

Your story is engaging! I love how you've captured Granny's vibrant personality and the contrast between the cozy kitchen and the intimidating cellar. The details about navigating the cellar are so vivid and relatable, adding a touch of humor to the adventure. The ending, with the cinnamon cookies as a reward, is a heartwarming touch that ties everything together. It's a wonderful tale that brings to life the memories and bonds of family.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:39 Apr 22, 2024

So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
17:03 Nov 15, 2023

Hey Mary! How wonderfully heart warming. I loved that this story relied on the scent of cinnamon. It’s such an icon in our world and I’m glad this piece paid homage to it. I also appreciated the way it showed the deep love that the narrator has for her grandmother. Courage can be hard to find in the dark, but easily spotted when it’s for someone you love. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:22 Nov 15, 2023

Thanks for the heart warming comment. And liking 'When Falls the Night'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
15:56 Nov 14, 2023

Really enjoyed the memories this conjured! My Hoosier grandma whipped up scratch puddings and pies whenever we were over — yom! And those hazardous recesses in our old homes. I was deathly afraid to mount the extremely narrow stairway to our dark, rickety attic. After Dad’s death, that’s where we found the paintings he did as a kid in the Depression to sell to migrating travelers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:48 Oct 31, 2023

Love it, Mary. Thanks for reading mine. Every prompt had Halloween written under it, I believe. Probably should have submitted it. It was a better story than the last one several weeks ago that this one sort of followed on from. What an adventure your story is, with no light and hazards galore, fumbling around until the pull cord 'appeared'. Love the statement at the end. Hanging out for your reward of a cinnamon cookie! My grandma's didn't bake. One sewed and did embroidery. Taught me and I still sew today. When I visit my Mum (not really ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:59 Oct 31, 2023

Glad you liked it and it brought back pleasant memories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miriam Esessien
00:53 Oct 26, 2023

When I was a kid, with tasty treats on the line I was willing to go through hell for it. 😄 This is a warm and lovely story you've got here, Mary. I was completely drawn into it and the world building was stellar. I was even reminded of the great love I have for my own Grandma. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ralph Aldrich
22:45 Oct 25, 2023

Great story Thos were the good old days.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:30 Oct 26, 2023

Ad tasty ones. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
15:07 Oct 25, 2023

Loved this Mary, Our grandmothers were the same! My grandma was always making us go grab things for her. Found this bit very relatable. Loved our protagonists sense of humor. <3 "How does Granny manage this so effortlessly? Oh, right. She sends unsuspecting children into her dungeon to retrieve essential treasures. How many has she already sacrificed? Where are my two older sisters anyway?" - gold Best, Danie

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:42 Oct 25, 2023

Thanks. Glad you could relate.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
22:56 Oct 24, 2023

I was reminded of my in-laws basement as I read. Obviously, I was a "rational" adult, but the first time my mother-in-law sent me down to get potatoes from the bin, I was so creeped out. And, cinnamon cookies really do cure everything :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:03 Oct 25, 2023

Thanks for reading ad liking even if brought back creepy memories:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
PM McClory
15:54 Oct 24, 2023

"How does Granny manage this so effortlessly? Oh, right. She sends unsuspecting children into her dungeon to retrieve essential treasures. How many has she already sacrificed? Where are my two older sisters anyway?" How funny are these lines? The answer for me is very, very. Haha. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:01 Oct 24, 2023

The spider web storage made me laugh out loud. “Nothing a few cinnamon cookies can’t fix” was totally relatable!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:31 Oct 24, 2023

That's the way the cookie crumbles. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:40 Oct 23, 2023

Dark basements and childhood horror seem to go hand in hand, but yeah, when cookies are the prize, the imagination can endure all sorts of things :) Not just imagination, in this case, with the bumpy trek, but I think the last line really does sum it up. When we want something, nothing will get in the way. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:25 Oct 24, 2023

My pleasure, thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
14:06 Oct 22, 2023

Adventurous, beautiful, and innocent point of view, bringing a bit of nostalgia and taste for cinnamon cookies. Well-written, and fun to read!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:19 Oct 22, 2023

Thanks for the fun comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
07:41 Oct 22, 2023

I enjoyed the nostalgic mood/childhood memories you evoke so well. Great descriptions of the journey into the cellar. Loved all the inner dialogue here too: Especially liked « How many has she already sacrificed? Where are my two older sisters anyway? »

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:54 Oct 22, 2023

Thanks for liking and the detail comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
00:58 Oct 22, 2023

I share some of your memories, Mary. I was one of six kids in a neighborhood where a family with only three or four children was considered small. No seatbelt laws, so everyone just piled into one car. My grandmother also baked bread and apple pies which we ate hot from the oven in bowls with cold milk poured over it, whenever we moved in with her from time to time and I loved helping with that wringer washing machine. Thanks for bringing it all back.😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:00 Oct 22, 2023

Glad you can relate.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KG Green
17:37 Oct 21, 2023

This is a lovely adventure Mary !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:45 Oct 21, 2023

Well, thanks for catching up on several of my entries. Glad you liked them and thanks for commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:42 Oct 20, 2023

Lovely little tale, wholesome and innocent. Love this: The God of Light did not see things my way. It must have been His day of rest. I flicked, it faulted. Everything seemed like a huge adventure and quest when we were kids. Imagination Played a big part. I miss those carefree days. Thanks for sharing this Mary

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:40 Oct 21, 2023

Loved your comment. Thanks for reading. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
17:53 Oct 20, 2023

Good job reminding me why I hate basements!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:38 Oct 20, 2023

Me, too! Thanks for reading and liking. I am way behind on my reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
14:18 Oct 20, 2023

I always enjoy your stories that venture down the path of reminiscing. Your voice shines through in these tales. I particularly enjoyed the line Right where we keep our abundant supply of spider webs. I can almost feel them in my hair and I can imagine the frantic hand motions trying to remove them.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:33 Oct 20, 2023

Oo. I remember your dislike of those eight-legged fiends:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
13:50 Oct 20, 2023

I remember being a kid and such innocent little errands turned into an adventure. I always hated bumping around in the dark because the basement light only worked when it wanted to. Cute story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:30 Oct 20, 2023

Glad you could relate! Thanks for the like and follow. I am way behind on my reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.