A Harrowing Halloween

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

0 comments

Holiday Fiction

October 31st, a time of spooks, scares, tricks and treats. It was Henry’s least favorite time of year and holiday, it was even worse that now he was a ghost. 

“Everyone just looks idiotic and get a laugh at other people’s expense!” Henry floated around the room and vented. “Everything is overpriced so people can make a quick buck!”

A calm voice responded “Now, how does that make you feel?”

“Infuriated, frustrated just- AUGH!” Henry’s anger burned bright.

“Very good, let it flow out.”

“How do you deal with it? Don’t you have something that you despise with a passion?”

“I think you are ignoring the real problem and reason why you hate Halloween.”

Henry went silent.

“It’s obvious you and I haven’t moved on like other ghosts. So, what is keeping you here?”

Henry turned to face the old ghost, he had the appearance of an older man, wearing a black vest and white button down shirt.  

“You already know why. I lost my daughter.” Henry quaked with anger “All because of stupid, idiotic, selfish, KIDS!”

“They were young adults-”

“Well they certainly didn’t act like it!” Henry shot back. “Driving recklessly on one of the holidays where there is the most foot traffic, without a care in the world, and feeling ‘invincible’ no doubt!”

Henry turned to the window in the abandoned house and looked at the neighborhood. Houses were decorated and prepared for the evening’s festivities. “Those kids got to live and walk away while my daughter died! Now I get to float around and maybe see it happen to someone else!”

The older ghost sighed.

“Do you want to see your daughter?”

Henry snapped to face the old ghost.

“You heard me, do you want to see her? And more importantly, are you willing to do what is necessary to see her again?”

“Why didn’t you tell me this sooner!? You knew there was a way all this time didn’t you!? Why!? Why would you not help a father see his baby girl again!!?” Henry began to quake and felt sadness overwhelm him, he drifted down into a seat and began to cry. The older ghost remained silent and waited, still seated. Henry felt just sadness and pain, it was worse without a body. No true sense of touch or physical feeling to distract from the invisible, searing, emotional pain. What felt like an hour passed before Henry pulled together.

“What do I need to do?” Henry asked, determined. 

“Cliché as it is. You must forgive those that wronged you. And before you ask, you know why, no, I don’t know if they ‘deserve it’, and no there is no other way. You want to see her again, you have to move on to where she is, simple as that.”

Henry turned back to look out the window. The sun was setting on the neighborhood. Henry imagined he saw himself and his daughter Kiara on the sidewalk heading up to the first house. The last Halloween they did together Kiara was dressed as a pony, and he wore a simple cowboy outfit, it made her so happy. Henry felt happiness followed by a wave of grief. It wasn’t long until she was “galloping” all around the neighborhood, onto a street, and was taken by an oncoming car. The court proceedings were hard but swift. The driver plead guilty and Henry burned his face into his memory. Henry felt anger start to simmer again. Henry remembered getting a few letters from the driver but he never read them. He did not want to hear or read anything he had to say. 

Henry looked away from his memories and back at the street, empty but now it was nighttime. Families would soon be out and about or older kids in their packs exercising greater independence. 

“I am heading out Leo” said Henry, and floated through the window and began gliding over his old neighborhood. Henry soon saw the wide array of costumes of all ages. Henry imagined his daughter being among them, her wide smile and gaily skipping along. The thought was sweet until he saw him, the driver that took his daughter from him. Apparently the monster decided to stay near the scene of his murder. Enraged Henry flew close and saw the young man was now leading his little family along hand in hand, one boy and one girl. Henry felt his anger boil at how unfair the universe was. Henry tried tackling the man but phased right through him. “A bit cold tonight huh?” said the man “don’t worry dad, we’ll be fine!” replied the son. Henry tried tackling the man several more times, but Henry was just as empty as before. Henry bored his gaze into the man hoping that maybe he could set him on fire or something, anything. 

“Daddy what’s wrong?” asked the daughter.

Henry realized the man had stopped and was looking at the street. Then Henry saw it, the kind of face he would see when he looked in the mirror.  

“Jared” the man’s wife nudged him on “Its okay, we’re here, let it go.”

Jared nodded and gave a smile to his kids trying to hide his pain.  “Come on kiddos! Lets go to the next house!” the two kids giggled and laughed with delight. Henry was stunned and felt uneasy. This boy felt pain for what he did? Henry then felt guilt, why do I feel guilty? Then it hit him, Henry remembered the letters and conversation he rejected to feel rage and anger. The man, Jared, had tried to express how sorry he felt but Henry refused to listen to him. 

The old ghost’s voice came to mind, a conversation they had several months ago. “Will you feel any better if you knew he suffered just as much as you did?” Henry recalled his reply

“Yes, he must feel it, it’s justice, I will feel better knowing justice was served!”

Henry looked back and saw the family walking along and the son dressed as a superhero zooming around, the child reared back and was racing towards the street. Henry cried out “No! Not again! No!” Henry zoomed towards the child determined to keep him from the street. Jared got there before him, picked up his boy and gave a stern talking to about not playing in the street. Henry saw the pain, the deep fear and concern in Jared’s eyes. Henry floated there taking in what he saw and what he felt. He floated towards Jared. “I forgive you Jared, I was wrong, you don’t need to know what I felt. A child does not have to die for you to be forgiven. I sincerely hope you can be a better man and forgive yourself sooner than it took for me to forgive you.” Henry felt his soul become warm and felt his ethereal form slip away. The old ghost Leo had a wistful smile and watched another soul move on. “Good on you Henry, say hello to your daughter for me. Maybe someday I will join you all.” 

October 30, 2020 18:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.