Elon Musk was right about Mars... /Part 1 of the "Space Billionaires Series/

Written in response to: Start your story with a character saying “Listen, …”... view prompt

14 comments

Science Fiction

“Listen…”

I can’t move.

Why can’t I move?

“Jaylen. Calm down. You are safe here.” a man’s voice says from around me.

As I calm myself, I take in my surroundings. I'm in a lighted coffin?

“We are attempting to rescue you Jaylen. Once you are out, you must listen to my instructions to survive.”

“No! NO! LET ME OUT!” I scream at the top of my lungs. The “Lighted Coffin” flashes red. 

“Loud noises detected. Set up a force field from outside?” a robotic voice askes.

“Jaylen! Don’t say yes. Say no.” the man tells me.

I think for a second. I don’t trust this man or this “coffin”. I just want out.

“No.” I say, still unsure of my decision. 

Maybe the man is telling the truth? The red lights flash back to white and I sigh. I’m not going to explode today.

“Help!” a woman’s voice screams, and I know it's not mine.

“Excuse me, what’s your name?” I ask the man quickly.

“Ethan.” he replies, and I imagine a tall, dark haired guy standing outside of this death coffin. 

“Well, Ethan. I need you to tell me who was screaming.”

“Uh,” he pauses, and I can only hear his breathing now. “Someone else from the project.”

“The project? What is-?”

“SHUT UP!” he yells and my ears start to ring. I guess he doesn't understand how loud it is here. “Stop asking questions.”

I stop, not wanting to get yelled at again. Staring up at the ceiling of the “lighted coffin”, I drift off to sleep.

------------------


“Jaylen! Get up!” 

My eyes fly open, and I try to sit up, but I still can’t move. I look around, checking for any signs of escape. Not yet.

“What?” I ask, angered by how loud Ethan is. He doesn't respond and my heart beats in my chest. “Ethan?”

“Relax. Your heart rate went up, and that's not good. Especially not right now.” he responds. 

How can he see my heart rate? I wonder. 

Why am I wondering about this? He says that’s not good, especially not right now. 

Why is it not good right now?

“Ethan, what’s going on out there?” My voice is strained, because I am extremely nervous right now. I want to see what’s happening outside of this coffin thing, but I’m stuck in it, and he still hasn't found a way out yet!

“Jaylen. Let me work.” he tells me, sounding frustrated. 

In the background, an alarm goes off that reminds me of one I’ve heard before. One I had heard when everything was…

Normal?

I think hard. When I first woke up, I didn’t remember anything except my name. Something must have happened to the place I was before, because I thought the word normal. What was normal? Where was I before this?

“Ethan. I need you to tell me. I don’t remember a lot.” 

I hear him inhale.

“Fine,” he says. “Your name is Jaylen Bassinger, you're 22 years old. You used to live on Earth, before we were attacked. You were part of a select group of people chosen to live on our new world, Mars.”

Mars? I thought that place was inhabitable…

The thought of me, being on Mars, because of some attack that happened is kind of nerve wracking. It feels weird, because years ago, I remember they never thought that they would ever make it to Mars. Well, except for Elon Musk and the shit he was on…

           ELON MUSK! I actually remembered that!

           “Jaylen, I need you to stay quiet. Something just got into the ship. You’re safe, but I’m not.” Ethan says quietly. Oh gosh.

          If Ethan dies, I’m never getting out of this thing. 

          Shit, now I’m hyperventilating. 

The coffin thing flashes red and tears start to gather in my eyes.

         “Oxygen levels low. Please leave the chamber.” The robotic lady says. I can hear Ethan cursing in the background.

         “Jaylen, I’m almost done opening the chamber. Give me one…..”

         The chamber opens and fog clouds my vision. 

         “Ethan? Where are you?” I call out. A hand reaches into the chamber and helps me up.

         He is nothing like I expected. Blond hair, and golden eyes. He smiles.

         “Welcome back Jaylen. Turns out the thing that got into the ship wasn’t a thing at all, it was one of the boxes that held our food rations. It fell and triggered the alarm."

         I get out of the chamber and start to float. Zero gravity.

        “Are there others?” I ask quietly. Ethan nods.

I float around without any control.

        “Jaylen, you’re part of the New Earth project. The future of everyone on this ship is in our hands right now because, for now, you are the only one I’ve gotten out of the chamber. Everyone else is still unconscious.”

         “How did I get to be part of this project?” I ask him.

         “Well Jaylen, where should I start?”



November 12, 2021 23:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Nicole Of 2022
22:38 Jun 04, 2022

This was really well written, and this prompt is way too good LOL. YOU'RE ALMOST AT 1K KARMA POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:52 Jun 07, 2022

AWWW tysm, I loved writing this one, mostly because i have this obsession with elon musk...lol im weird I KNOW I WANT 1K KARMA POINTS OMGGGG

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
20:14 Jun 07, 2022

LMAO FRRR XD YASSSSSSSSS if you keep responding in a conversation on your stories it'll bump it up.

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:49 Jun 08, 2022

OMG OMG YESSSSS

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
17:56 Jun 08, 2022

Lmfao lol hru?

Reply

Jexica Marcell
18:46 Jun 08, 2022

im gooddddddd just stressing over this dress im wearing to graduation lol hbu

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Matt P
04:51 Nov 24, 2021

This was well written. I'm reading Leviathan Wakes right and this story reminded me of it. Since you started the story with the main character not knowing much and having the memory loss caveat thing, this will be a nice tool to bring the reader up to date with your next scene. Jaylen can know more than the audience and can guide them through. So if Jaylen is the guide this next scene will set the stage and make or break shit. So I'm excited to see where it goes. I know you building towards something so keep rolling with it. Also space...

Reply

Jexica Marcell
14:26 Nov 29, 2021

Yesss I love space stuff!!!!! And thank you so much for your comment. I know this part should come first, but I absolutely love space and futuristic stuff! I honestly am so scared to write the next part of this, because if I do, and it's not good, I'll feel bad because you guys were expecting so much. Once again thank you so much! xxx, Jex (hahahaha that last part rhymes)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
18:47 Nov 15, 2021

Okay, I want more... :)

Reply

Jexica Marcell
18:49 Nov 15, 2021

Do you mean, of the storyline? I mean, I could make a part two....

Reply

Kendall Defoe
18:52 Nov 15, 2021

Oh, yes! Keep it coming. Maybe you will end up with a book one day... ;)

Reply

Jexica Marcell
18:56 Nov 15, 2021

Yes, oh my goodness!!!! I'll try, and actually right now, I'm almost finished writing my novel.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
19:02 Nov 15, 2021

Cool...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.