0 comments

Adventure Funny Friendship

This story contains sensitive content

(Warning, Very Adult Language, Rated-R humor. Cussing.)

In a city that never sleeps, the bonds of friendship can transcend the barriers of time and space. Allow me to introduce two long-lost college friends who reunite for a whirlwind tour of New York City. However, even a happy story can sometimes become twisted in… Maxwell’s Morbid World.

####

Jack stood outside Vinnie's apartment building with a phone to his ear. "Hey, Vinnie! I'm here, man. Where are you?"

Vinnie answered, "Ah, Jackie boy! Good to hear your voice. I'm right here, buddy. Give me a sec." And then, he appeared at the entrance.

"Jack, my man!" Vinnie said, greeting him with a big, exaggerated hug. "It's been too long! Let me look at you. You've aged, my friend. Seriously, what the hell happened? Life got you down?"

Jack laughed, "Ha! You dick, you haven't changed a bit. Still cracking jokes. So, what's the plan?"

Vinnie grinned, "I thought we'd grab a bite at this legendary pizza place I know, and then I'll show you around the city. We'll do some sightseeing, and I'll introduce you to some of the weirdest people you'll ever meet. How's that sound?"

"Sounds like a perfect day to me," Jack replied.

As they walked through the bustling streets of New York City, Vinnie regaled Jack with stories of his adventures in the Big Apple. "You know, I once saw a guy juggling flaming swords while riding a unicycle down Fifth Avenue, just butt-ass-naked. Craziest thing I've ever seen!"

Jack laughed, "Jesus Christ, thanks for painting a picture."

"Oh, you don't even want to see the picture!" Vinnie added.

They arrived at the pizza place, and Vinnie insisted on ordering for both of them. "Trust me, Jack. I know pizza. We're getting the 'Vinnie Special' – half pepperoni, half anchovies, and extra cheese. It'll change your crappy life forever."

Jack raised an eyebrow, "I thought a Vinnie Special was getting your balls caught in a vacuum cleaner.

As they waited for their pizza, Jack leaned in, eager to catch up on their lives since college. "So, Vinnie, what have you been up to all these years? Please tell me you're doing something more than juggling naked in the street."

Vinnie laughed, "Well, my friend, I've been doing what I do best – showing tourists the 'real' New York. You know, the stuff you won't find in guidebooks. It's my mission to show them the exact spot where dreams go to die."

Jack raised an eyebrow, smirking, "Oh? Do you mean Wall Street or Times Square?"

Vinnie grinned, "Both, actually. Anyway, there's this old speakeasy hidden behind a secret door in a laundromat. They serve the best cocktails in the city, with a side of crushed hopes and drug addicts."

Jack's eyes widened, "Wow, you always did have a knack for finding the places where people's regrets gather."

Vinnie laughed, "That's me, Jack – always seeking out the road less traveled, or in our case, the road less crawled. But enough about me. What have you been up to? Living in a small town must be a real thrill ride."

Jack sighed, "Well, I've been working as an accountant. It's a good job, but it's not exactly… thrilling. In fact, it's like watching paint dry – if the paint is spreadsheets and assholes in khaki."

Vinnie leaned in, teasing, "Ah, Jack, living the dream, huh? Crunching numbers and making sure the books are balanced. You must be the life of every party."

Jack chuckled, "Yeah, well, someone's got to do it. But I gotta admit, it's not quite what I envisioned for myself when we were in college. I thought I'd be exploring the world, not double-checking tax returns."

Vinnie patted his buddy on the back, "Hey, life takes us in unexpected directions sometimes, like how I ended up in New York, the city that swallows people whole and spits them out as empty husks. But look at you now, here in the city that never sleeps. Maybe it's time for a little excitement, huh?"

Jack smiled, "I guess it's never too late to start a new adventure. Or, you know, to finally hit rock bottom."

Their pizza arrived, and Jack hesitantly took a bite of anchovy. His eyes widened, and he exclaimed, "Dammit when you’re right - you’re right! This is good! I never thought I'd like fish and pizza."

Vinnie smirked, "Hey, that's funny. I told your mother the same thing."

Jack gave a disgusted look. "The fuck's the matter with you?" 

Vinnie replied by bursting out laughing with a mouth full of pizza.

After they finished eating, Vinnie took Jack on a whirlwind city tour. They visited famous landmarks like Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, and Central Park. Along the way, Vinnie introduced Jack to some of the colorful characters he had promised – a street magician who could make pigeons disappear, a mime with a penchant for breakdancing, and a woman who claimed to have been abducted by aliens.

Jack and Vinnie found themselves in a small jazz club in Greenwich Village as the day turned into night. The atmosphere was intimate, the music soulful, and the drinks flowed freely. They settled into a corner booth and continued to reminisce.

"You know," Jack said, sipping his whiskey, "I've always admired you."

Vinnie smirked, "Well, Jack, life's too short to play it safe. You've got to take risks, follow your passions, and embrace the world's weirdness. That's what makes it fun!"

"You're right, Vinnie. Maybe it's time for me to shake things up a bit." Jack smiled, nodding in agreement.

Vinnie raised his glass, "Here's to shaking things up, my friend!"

As they clinked glasses, a sultry jazz singer took the stage, her voice filling the room with a haunting melody. Jack and Vinnie listened, captivated by her performance.

After the show, they returned to Vinnie's apartment, the city lights reflecting off the wet pavement from a recent rain shower. Jack turned to Vinnie, "Thanks for showing me around, Vinnie. I've had a blast."

Vinnie grinned, "No problem, Jack. You’re my best pal for life; you know that. And remember, the world is your oyster. You've just got to go out there and find the pearls, brother."

Jack smiled, "I'll keep that in mind. I'll come back to visit again soon."

As Jack hailed a cab to take him back to his hotel, he couldn't help but feel a renewed sense of adventure. His day with Vinnie had reminded him that life was meant to be lived, not merely observed from the sidelines.

"Hey, Jack!" Vinnie called out just before the cab pulled away. "I almost forgot to give you this." He handed Jack a small envelope with a mischievous grin.

"What's this?" Jack asked, curious.

"Just open it," Vinnie winked and stepped back from the cab.

As the taxi pulled away and the New York City skyline faded into the distance, the cab driver glanced at Jack in the rearview mirror. "You okay, buddy? Talking to yourself or?" he asked.

"Vinnie, my old friend," Jack replied solemnly.

The cab driver shook his head. "I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to pry. Terrible thing, that fire."

He looked down at the envelope in his hand, trembling as he opened it. Inside, he found a photograph of Vinnie, standing next to him when they were kids, both grinning wildly. On the back of the photo was a handwritten note:

"Remember, Jack: Sometimes shit happens, but life is full of magic and surprises. Embrace every moment, even when things seem bleak. Live a life worth living for both of us. - Vinnie"

####

As we leave behind New York City and the echoes of laughter between two friends, we are reminded of the importance of embracing life's wonders when one is faced with unfathomable loss. 

Though the path may be uncertain and the journey fraught with challenges, we are never truly left alone. Remember to cherish the connections you make, for they may guide you through the uncharted territory of… Maxwell’s Morbid World.

March 21, 2023 01:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.