0 comments

East Asian Fantasy Fiction

Darkness shrouds the forest. A stifling silence seeps through the winding trees and shadows dance in the sliver of moonlight that makes its way through the large canopy of leaves and branches. The clouds part into two, revealing the golden light of the moon. It’s more beautiful than the sun, because amongst the darkness, the golden ball shines like an enchanting fairy.

Zheng Yun looks around him, his eyebrows joining together in a frown. Was it just his illusion? He closes his eyes and takes small, short breaths, keeping them as quiet as possible. Even though his body looks at ease, Zheng Yun is actually scanning the area with his senses. Just now, he definitely felt someone behind him.

One second passes, then another. The seconds seem to pass as slowly as the dropping of liquid pitch. Slow, sombre, and… there!

A cold wind brushes past his back and Zheng Yun’s eyes fly open. He only manages to catch a glimpse of it, but now he is sure. There was a shadow behind him. It was the outline of a man. Zheng Yun turns around, hoping to catch a glimpse of the mysterious stranger, but all he can see are trees, trees, and trees.

Zheng Yun can’t help shivering as goosebumps appear on his delicate white skin. He had heard stories of ghosts and evil spirits coming to haunt the living. In his heart, Zheng Yun couldn’t help but feel cold and tremble.

He wanted to scream in fear, but since he was a prominent martial artist, how could he bear to lose his dignity? If he started screaming and it turns out all of this was just his imagination, where would his dignity be?

Therefore, against his primal instinct, Zheng Yun kept quiet and simply turned around in search of the shadow he had seen. Only the tremors of his hands and the whiteness of his face betrayed his real feelings.

Feigning bravery, Zheng Yun called out in a hoarse voice. “Who are you? Are you playing tricks? If you are, I suggest you just come out before I beat you up!”

Zheng Yun was replied with silence.

Sighing, Zheng Yun could only stop his search and continue walking through the forest. In his heart, he couldn’t help scolding himself a hundred times. Who told him to be so stubborn and drink wine with his friends this late at night?

When he was finally sober, he realized that all his friends were gone and he had to walk back to his sect alone. The world of cultivation was indeed lonely…. Where were his drink buddies when he needed them most?

Pushing down the unhappiness in his heart, Zheng Yun concentrated on navigating the forest. However, the sense of unease continued to pile up in his heart and weigh it down. What was this feeling… this feeling of ice flowing through his veins?

The cold air seemed to curl around him and squeeze Zheng Yun’s heart, making it difficult to breathe. Previously, Zheng Yun had been reluctant to show his fear because he wanted to maintain his lofty, strong, cool image. However, he changed his mind when the air around him changed.

The change was subtle, but Zheng Yun was a martial artist, so he naturally could feel it. The air seemed to get denser and colder, chilling his bones and making it harder to move quickly. The feeling of danger and the blood-lust in the air was so strong that Zheng Yun did not think any more.

Forget it! What is the use of dignity if he was dead? Staying alive is the number one priority!

With that thought in mind, Zheng Yun activated his internal energy and levitated in the air, planning to fly away. He had just started floating through the trees when a whistle was heard in the air.

Poisoned needle! Zheng Yun dodged to the right and looked back, but he could not find the source of the attack. His long hair fluttered teasingly as a breeze blew gently, but Zheng Yun did not notice, because another poisoned needle was heading straight for him.

Twisting his body like a snake, Zheng Yun managed to dodge again. Now, Zheng Yun did not dare to be careless at all. He accelerated and flew like an arrow shot from its bow, whizzing past trees and brushing against leaves. The attacker obviously did not want to let him go, because more poisonous needles flew out from the forest and stabbed in his direction.

Dodging and turning, Zheng Yun knew that he couldn’t keep this up. Right now, he was like a fish on a chopping board, completely helpless and at the mercy of the attacker. Zheng Yun wanted to counter-attack, but without knowing the attacker’s position and identity, he wasn’t confident in taking him down.

“Who are you?” Zheng Yun roared as he sped faster and faster. “Why do you want to kill me? You and I have no grudge…”

At these words, an eerie laughter reverberated through the forest and grated Zheng Yun’s ears. The coarse voice seemed like the sound of sandpaper scraping against wood, unpleasant to the ears.

Was it really a ghost? No, this person was more likely an assassin, right?

Caught in his thoughts, Zheng Yun did not notice a dagger shoot out from the darkness and pierce his shoulder. A groan escaped from his mouth, and Zheng Yun could only fall helplessly and crash into the ground.

Spitting out blood from his mouth, Zheng Yun clutched his aching heart. His shoulder was bleeding profusely, the crimson blood dripping onto the dark ground. A shadow arrived in front of him, landing as gracefully as a fairy.

Zheng Yun wanted to look up and the figure, but found himself getting weaker and weaker. His conciousness was slipping away and his sight was blurry. There must’ve been poison in the dagger…

Why… why was this happening to him? Zheng Yun felt indignant in his heart. If he knew something like this would happen… If he knew it… he definitely wouldn’t go out drinking with his friends. A short moment of pleasure was not important, it was more important to stay alive, alright?

Zheng Yun’s head was spinning and he felt the world turning around. He tried to look at the mysterious shadow, but his head was reeling from nausea. His head felt heavy as if it was filled with water. “Just… who are you…?” He managed to spit those words out with utmost difficulty.

A bone-chilling laughter was heard once again, and this time, Zheng Yun forced his eyes open to look at his murderer. But his heart nearly jumped out of his chest when he saw that the person in front of him was… himself?!

“AH!!” Zheng Yun jerked and his eyes flew open. He blinked his eyes several times before he got used to the bright surroundings. Wasn’t he in the forest, running away from a creepy-shadow-assassin who looked just like himself? How come he was back inside the restaurant where he had been drinking?

“Hey…” Zheng Yun looked around the brightly lit restaurant, the warm yellow lights, and his three friends who had passed out because of drinking too much.

“Don’t tell me… all of that was a dream?” Zheng Yun pinched himself and, feeling the pain, relaxed. It must’ve really been a dream… How scary. He definitely wouldn’t drink any more wine after this!

…Maybe.

Zheng Yun did not dare to go home, the after-effects of the dream still lingering. Instead, he laid his head on the table and closed his eyes. Thankfully the restaurant owner let them sleep here. Soon, the sound of steady breathing filled the room, as Zheng Yun drifted into the cloudless world of dreams.

Zheng Yun did not know that behind him, a shadow of a man appeared and fused with his own shadow, bringing an air of death around Zheng Yun…

October 26, 2022 09:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.