0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship


   Ernie  was taking his nighttime constitutional when he spotted someone coming towards him. Nothing unusual about that, except this one looked like...

  Nah, it couldn’t be. Yet, as he got closer, he realized that, yes, it was, his old pal, Clementine!

   “Well, Clemie, ain’t you a sight for sore eyes!”

  “Ernie? Really and truly?”

  “Really and truly! The one- and- only Ernie Chester!” 

  Clementine laughed. “You old dog! You’ll never change!” 

  “Nope. And neither will you!” They laughed as they embraced each other. 

  “How’ve you been?”they asked simultaneously. 

  Ernie sighed. “As well as could be expected, under the circumstances.”

  “Me, too. So glad I found you again.”

“Where have you been all these years?”

  “I became a refugee when my parents were killed, and I’d been living in shelters with my two brothers for many years. Finally got a job that keeps me busy, so I’m circulating again.” Both my brothers are gone now, too. I miss them so much.”

  “Sorry to hear that. I’m alone also, now that most of my family is dead. Been living in a condo.” He shivered. “So cold, those condos.”

  “Can’t you raise the heat?”

   Ernie laughed. “Not that kind of cold. I mean I’ve been feeling... kinda lonely.“

  “I know the feeling well.”

  “Hey, why are we standing here feeling miserable? We’ve found each other again:; let’s celebrate!”

  So Ernie and Clementine did just that. They enjoyed a celebratory dinner at the local bistro. Then, they went back to Ernie’s place, put on some records, vinyl, the real deal, and danced and laughed like they hadn’t in years. Neither Clementine nor Ernie thought to go any further in the romance department, because they considered each other more like family than lovers. Brother and sister. Hours went by like minutes. Finally, Clementine said:

  “Well, it’s getting late. Better be going home.”

  Ernie walked Clementine outside. She said she was able to walk home from his house, since it was only a few blocks away, but Ernie, being a gentleman, insisted on going with her. 

  They continued this way for weeks. The time went by so fast. The hole in both their hearts grew smaller, until it finally scabbed over and healed completely. Clementine and Ernie were alone no longer. They had each other, the only family either of them would ever need.  

  One day, Ernie went to Clementine’s house, as had become his habit. He wanted to take a walk in the park with her, one of their favorite activities. He knocked at her front door. She wasn’t there. He went around back, since she enjoyed gardening, but she wasn’t there, either. He knocked at the back door. No answer. A feeling of dread began to take over Ernie’s heart; he couldn’t lose Clementine again. His Clementine.  

  “Where is my sister?” he wailed.

  Ernie spoke sternly to himself. “Stop being a drama queen, Ernie old boy. Clementine must be somewhere close by. You can’t expect her to stay at home all the time, waiting for you.” He went home, thinking she might have gone to his house. But Clementine wasn’t there, either. 

  Days went by, and Ernie started to despair. Clementine was nowhere to be seen. He stupidly never got her phone number, nor did he give her his. Neither of them owned computers. Yet it had been so easy to get together, these modern conveniences hardly seemed necessary. Until now. The hole in Ernie’s heart began to grow again.  

  Clementine missed Ernie so much, it was like a physical ache. She was so sorry she couldn’t tell him why she was no longer near him. She wanted to let him know in no uncertain terms how much she cared. But she couldn’t. It was against the rules. She couldn’t be near him, or anyone else, for that matter, until she completed her assignment. She sighed deeply and knocked at the broken down door of the hovel. A very frail, old lady answered it. 

  “Hello, Beatrice. How are you today?”

  “What do you think?”Beatrice answered grumpily. 

  “Oh, come now, Beatrice. You’ll have to go sometime.”

  Beatrice turned to stare at Clementine. “Bah! Why do I have to, exactly? I’m fine right here where I am!”

  Clementine spoke gently. “But, Beatrice, you’re alone, now. No more family, no more friends.”

  “So? Who are you to say when it’s my time to go?” She paused. “I don’t see you going anywhere anytime soon.”

  Clementine sighed deeply. “Beatrice, dear, I can’t leave yet. My task is to encourage spirits to go over to the other side when it’s their time. You’re the last spirit that I must convince. Then, I’ll be able to leave myself. “

  “Tough!” exclaimed Beatrice. I ain’t leaving! And stop calling me ‘dear’!”

  Clementine left, feeling dispirited. How could she convince Beatrice to go over to the better place, the place of paradise, if, in truth, she didn’t want to go there herself? Not without...

  How could I have been so stupid, Clementine thought. When she had been among the  living, she was more clever. She had to be scrappy, becoming the mother to her two brothers when she was only twelve years old, her parents having been killed in the war. Now that she was a ghost, her faculties had been slipping a bit. No matter. She finally knew what she would do. She begged BOO, the Boss of Operations, to let her go to Ernie so he could help her convince Beatrice to go on through to the other side. She utilized her skills of logic and sweet talk, and BOO finally gave her permission, with the stipulation that it was strictly for spirit filled purposes, and only if Clementine agreed to go on through with Beatrice and Ernie.

  Clementine rushed to Ernie’s neighborhood. She was in a semi- panic when she couldn’t find him anywhere. Was she too late? Had Ernie already... She walked along the park’s pathways that she and Ernie used to frequent. She almost gave up hope, and then saw a figure leaning against an oak tree. He was weeping. 

  “What-cha doin’, sad sack?”

  Ernie looked up. “Clemie! I thought I lost you for good this time.” They embraced, laughing through their tears. Clementine explained why she had been absent so long, about the task she had and the stubbornness of her elderly charge. “She’s really lonely, but afraid to go through to the other side.” I finally got the idea to have you come along to help me. Then, we can all go through together.”

They went back to Beatrice’s hovel. Clementine knocked on the door again, but there was no answer. They did see the shadow of someone moving around inside. Ernie peered into a side window, and what he saw caused him to stand stock still, as if frozen solid. 

  “What’s wrong?”

  “Clementine!  That-  that’s my sister!”

  “Are you sure?” 

  “Clemie, I’d know my sister anywhere, even if we’re both spirits now. I lost her to cancer when she was just fifteen years old.” A tear ran down Ernie’s cheek. 

  Beatrice gazed out the window. “No! It can’t be! Ernie?” She ran outside and they collapsed into each other’s arms. Beatrice then noticed Clementine. 

  “Sorry I gave you so much trouble, Clementine,” she murmured. 

  “I understand,” replied Clementine. It’s hard to go through to the other side without family around you.”

  “Now that I have my two sisters with me, my sister from birth and my sister of the heart, I think I can do it,”  declared Ernie. I love you both so much!” The three spirits embraced, and walked happily together through the park.  

  After a while, they came to a building. The Rialto Theatre, read the sign. It was having a film festival: a lot of the great old comedies, drama and adventures would be shown. “Why not go?” asked Ernie. “It’s free for ghosts.” They all laughed.

  “Well, I don’t know... began Clementine.

  “We’ll never get this opportunity again,” reasoned Beatrice.  

  “Very true,” agreed Clementine. 

 The three spirits held hands, giggled like children, and walked through the walls of the Rialto Theatre. Just a little treat before they made the commitment. Before they made that final journey, together, to the other side. 















January 30, 2021 02:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.