5 comments

Inspirational

"I am a writer. I love to write. But why don't I get ideas flourishing in my mind?", mumbled Kathy, a freelance writer. It was a pleasant evening. She put down her pen and marched towards her kitchen, made herself some potato burritos (her favorite eatable). She was worried about the deadline that was nearing and still she had no idea on the content. Kathy often experienced 'the blank page syndrome'. For her, starting was always the hardest part. Sometimes she underrated herself that she was not a good writer. It takes some time and effort to achieve a goal.


Done and dusted with the food cravings, she decided to overcome the blank page syndrome. She donned her jacket and walked straight into the meadow land. Greenery filled, fresh air surrounding gave her a faith that she would start her work hopefully.   


Kathy gawked at the paper. "I struggle putting pen to paper. I could think of nothing to write," sighed Kathy. An hour passed. Kathy's pallid hands were full of pen markings but her paper wasn't. She hated herself. She thought as if she was not capable of doing anything useful. At that moment, she brooded over that she was the only soul on earth with full of failures in life. She decided on giving up. Then what does she do for a living? She didn't give a damn on that thought.  


Kathy put her pen and paper down, stretched her legs and closed her eyes taking a deep breathe. Her eyes remained close. She heard a sniffing sound. She quickly opened her eyes. That was a cute pup sniffing around Kathy. She petted the pup. Finally, she wore a smile. She felt happy. She started playing with the pup until dark. And as the sun sets, she packed her writing kit, offered goodbye to the pup.


On her way to home, Kathy found a blind man walking with a white cane. He looked worn out. He was about to hit a wall nearby. Kathy rushed to help him.

"Careful!, she screamed.

"Umm.. Was I about to smash on something?, asked the weary man.

"Ya.. You were about to hit on the wall. Whereabouts do you come from?", asked Kathy walking along with him.

"I live in the second street. I am off to home from work. You know it's a kind of a busy day and I... I am exhausted. That's the reason for my unsteady behavior. Sorry if I am bothering you."

"No problem, Sir. Let me help you reach home".  

And Kathy walked him home.


Knock Knock! A woman opened the door. "Come in", invited the blind man.

"Get her a cup of water," said him. Kathy surmised the lady to be his wife. There laid a 16 year old kid, whose eyes were filled with innocence.

"By the way, thanks for your kind help. I'm Martin. This is my wife. Your sweet name?"

"I'm Kathy. I live in the third street, all alone. I'm a freelance writer."

"Writer? Woww.... That sounds great. I am a busboy in a nearby restaurant. I love reading books. I didn't mean that "read" read. Being a visually impaired person, I literally had to depend on someone for help. My wife at home, the white cane at work and today, you on the street, chuckled Martin. My wife reads me some interesting novels and articles. All the very best to you. You will one day become the most successful writer".

"I don't think I can do it, Mr.Martin. I could write nothing. The beginning days were all good. But now, I think it is good to give up."


"Kathy, you are blessed. Don't ever think of giving up. You are beautiful from inside. You are a kind heartened girl who helps the needy when in trouble. Look at me, Kathy. I am blind. But that should not be an excuse for me to give up. I have a family to feed. Although I have a disability, I am not tired enough to give up. You.... are blessed. You can try and try again. If I can, then you surely can. All you need is motivation. You said that you stay alone. Maybe that makes you feel frustrated. Consider me your mentor. Feel free to ask me anything, anytime," encouraged Martin.


Kathy felt motivated. She urged to give a try. With a smile in her lips, sparkle in her eyes and a heart with happiness, she thanked Martin and returned home.

Kathy shucked her jacket, sat on her couch. That evening was different from her regular eves. Martin was her first motivator. She walked into her study room. She sat on her desk and closed her eyes. Martin's words were filled in her mind.

YOU CAN! IF I CAN, YOU SURELY CAN.

YOU CAN KATHY, YOU CAN!

Yes, I can! smiled Kathy, the writer. She took her pen and paper, and started to write. She was inspired by his words"Try hard!". She was awake all night. The best part of it was, Kathy didn't experience 'the blank page syndrome'.... (hurray...)

The clock struck two. Yup. It was 2.00 a.m. Kathy gave herself a break. She waddled to her bed. Her head laid on a pillow and a blanket covered her body.


The next morning:

A beautiful day began with a beautiful mindset for Kathy. Unlike the usual days she had woke up looking at the desk with plain papers, that morning made her cheerful with her story half-done. She refreshed herself, had her breakfast and sat on her desk. She grabbed the pen and kicked off. The work went on for about 3 continuous hours. After 3 long hours of no break writing, Kathy finally put her pen down and piled the bunch of papers. Yes! Kathy finished writing a story successfully. She was on cloud nine. She grasped the pile of papers and headed towards Martin's home.

Knock Knock! Martin's wife unlocked the door.

"Come in, Kathy"

"Is Martin in there?," asked Kathy.

"I am here, Kathy. Come in," invited Martin.  

Kathy thanked him for his inspiring words he gave her yesterday. She handed over the papers to Martin's wife. She flipped the first page and looked at the dedication.


"Sincere thanks to Martin, who helped me in bringing out the best in me."











June 18, 2020 07:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Niveeidha Palani
06:42 Jul 03, 2020

Wow, Hi Varsha...this story is amazing! It's very motivational....however maybe you could find synonyms to replace the usual words? Perhaps, a little more describing? That's all...otherwise, I felt that this story was touching!

Reply

Varsha R
13:11 Jul 03, 2020

Hi Niveeidha.. Thanks for your suggestion. I do consider this and improve more. :-)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
22:51 Jul 03, 2020

No problem, I'm glad to hear it 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anthony David M
13:11 Jun 25, 2020

The story is motivational and good. There is a superfluity of words and more "tell" than "show" is seen. Maybe you could work on it. Tougher editing will reap rewards for you

Reply

Varsha R
05:19 Jun 26, 2020

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm a beginner. So I'm trying to improve myself. This would help me more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.