0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

Billy looks out of the train window. He sees what appears to be 2 animals, one on top of another, fighting with each other. But is it really 2 animals?

---

Billy and his mother, Maggie, are taking the train back to their hometown of Hinesville. The train is moving along smoothly, but then it abruptly starts slowing down and eventually stops.

When the train stops, Billy turns his head and looks out the window. It appears that 2 animals are on top of each other playfighting. Billy has a smile on his face because it all looks amusingly fun.

Then, all of a sudden, something indicates that appearances can be deceiving. He sees a sudden flash of light in the dark evening. He notices that that the light is coming from the blade of a knife. The smile on his face suddenly turns into a frown. He is only 5 years old, but knows a murder being committed when he sees one. He really knows now that it is a murder because he sees red on the grassy field, the blood of the murder victim.

He continues looking at the murder scene. The attacker looks toward the train. Billy gets a good look at the attacker. He sees a sun-tanned skin on his body and a beard on his face. The next thing Billy sees is the attacker running away from the crime scene.

---

Billy is frightened and scared. At this point, the train resumes moving. 

“Mommy, when I looked out the window, I saw a knife and blood. I think someone got stabbed.”

Maggie, his mother, laughs at him and says: “Billy, I think you are imagining things. Don’t be silly!”

Billy doesn’t say another word. They arrive at the Hinesville train station and disembark. They head home and retire for the night.

---

Billy doesn’t sleep well that night. Nonetheless, he gets up the next morning and goes to school.

After undertaking her morning chores, Maggie sits in front of the TV and turns it to the news channel.

“A murder has taken place 2 miles east of Hinesville. It happened last night at approximately 10:00 p.m. The stabbing victim has died in hospital…”

Maggie is filled with emotion and guilt. Last night she laughed at Billy. Today, she is sorry she didn’t take him seriously.

It is now 3:30 p.m. Billy has arrived home from school. Maggie sits him down and has a talk with him.

“Billy, I’m sorry!”, she says.

“Why mom?”, asks Billy.

“I was watching the news today and they mentioned a murder that took place near Hinesville.”, replies Maggie.

“Does that mean that you believe me now?”, asks Billy.

“Yes, it does, Billy.”, concludes Maggie.

Billy asks, “What happens now, mommy?”

“We have got to try to get the murderer arrested.”, says Maggie.

“How we going to make that happen?”, asks Billy.

“We will go down to the police station to identify him.”, replies Maggie.

Billy is only 5 years old. He is too young to understand legal matters. So, Maggie explains to her young son about identifying criminals in police lineups.

The next thing they do is get in the car and go down to the police station.

---

Maggie hold’s Billy’s hand before they walk into the police station. They enter the station and stand in front of the clerk sitting behind the counter.

“My name is Maggie. I have brought my son to identify the suspect of the recent murder that occurred near Hinesville.”, Maggie says.

“O.K. Please follow me.”, says the clerk.

They all proceed to the room where witnesses identify suspected criminals. 

“Please have a seat.”, says the officer present. At this point, Maggie and Billy take their respective seats.

The officer, moderating the proceedings, says to Billy: “We understand that you saw the face of the murderer. Therefore, we will bring in 10 suspects in the other room, so that you can identify who you saw when you looked at him.”

Billy is overwhelmed. That is because, at such a young age, he is being asked to do something someone beyond his years would be asked to do. 

The 10 suspects walk into the room on the other side with one-way glass separating the rooms on part of the wall.

---

“O.K., Billy. Please take a close look at all the suspects and identify the one you saw in the field the night of the murder.”, the police officer says.

Billy is nervous, but calm, cool, and collected at the same time. He takes a close look at all the suspects. The first one to the seventh one look familiar to the one he saw. Then, when he looks at the 8th suspect, his recollection and intuition give him the feeling that that one is the suspect who committed the murder.

“Mr. policeman, the suspect I saw commit the murder that night, was suspect number 8.”, declares Billy.

“Are you positive he is the one.”, replies the officer.

“Yes, I am.”, confirms Billy. 

Maggie hugs her son.

“You are so brave, and I am so proud of you, Billy.”, she says proudly.

The suspect is now placed under arrest. He is thrown in jail until the trial begins. Billy will have to be present to identify him in court, also.

Billy and Maggie leave the police station and return home.

---

A few weeks later, a court date notice is sent to Maggie and Billy’s home.

“The court date has been set, Billy. It is on the 25th day of next month.”, Maggie tells Billy.

“I am nervous about appearing in court.”, says Billy anxiously to his mom.

“Don’t worry, Honey. You have me to comfort and support you.”

Billy and Maggie go on with their daily lives. They have many mixed emotions about the court date. They both agree that they will be very satisfied that the murderer will spend the rest of his life in jail, if convicted.

---

The 24th day of the next month arrives. Daily activities are proceeding normally. Billy goes to school. Maggie does her everyday chores. When the school bell rings, at 3:00 p.m., Billy leaves school as he usually does. He is walking home as he normally does.  Then, he is approached from behind by a stranger. He is hardly noticeable since his steps are barely audible.

“Are you Billy?”, asks the stranger.

“Yes, I am.”, says Billy

In the next moment, Billy is grabbed by the shoulder and placed in the back seat of the car that is parked on the side of the road. The car drives off to an unknown destination.

October 18, 2022 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.