0 comments

General

It was going to be a long shot, not knowing where to turn to, he staked his life on this pitch, but felt it would take a long time before it pulled through. Jonathan was risk taker, he was the Manager of Microdot Medical Centre. it was quite a large and industrious place, and the more Jonathan knew of any new infrastructure, he would dive into the deep end.

It was late autumn, coming up to winter, Christmas was arriving, there was already tinsel and Christmas decorations in shop windows, and everyone mingling around the areas. Jonathan was on his way home that evening, he saw a message on his phone from his wife, Amanda, to not forget the shopping list. 

Jonathan's mind was only focussed one thing, and that was the contract he put himself forward to as well as harassing his team, in to towing the line with him. 

He reached home that evening, it was a cul-de-sac, on Evergreen Lane, number 10. The festivities were set in motion, his children, Meghan and Sarah of 12 and 16, were both excited as they were invited to go one of their friends party. This left Jonathan and Amanda alone in the house. The television was on, no one was watching it, the radio was playing a hit song in the kitchen, as Amanda was preparing supper for the two of them.

Jonathan left the noisy area and headed to his office on the ground floor, as he shut the door behind him, he turned the computer on, as he finally logged in, he checked his emails, but there was only one recent one which he saw before he left his work place. 

Amanda came in, but knocked beforehand, with a cup of herbal tea,

"I made you some...you look like you needed something,"

"Yes," he continued, "I need something stronger...do we have anything left after last night?"

"I will go and check...see you in a minute"

With that, she placed the cup on his desk and left. Jonathan sat back into his swivelled chair and gaze outside at the night life in the square and all of the houses with tinsel and smiled to himself. 

'When I get the contract, I will be able to whatever I like', he thought deviously to himself and chuckling while he said this.

 

August 30, 2019 15:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.