Fireworks in the Fortune

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write a story about a character who gets lost at a carnival or festival.... view prompt

0 comments

American Adventure Fiction

"Pauline, I see sparks in your future. A colorful one filled with twists and turns. Be careful not to get lost in it all," the fortune teller's creaky voice whispered to me from across the old table made from a crate and a dark purple blanket. I can’t believe I just spent $15 to be told that I’m going to see fireworks later. Everyone is, I mean that’s always how the summer carnival ends. What’s so special about that?


I quickly scoot the old stool back as I stand up, thanking the elderly fortune-teller as I leave a tip for her hospitality. I may be skeptical, but at least she kept her accent on the whole time, unlike the one from last year that went from a mystical seer to an angry man from New York. Imagine getting told to leave while being compared to a sewer rat just because you got called fake when you said that my dead dog was gonna come back to life. Talk about a dog-eat-dog world. Haven’t seen Mr. Ruffles since then either, still all bones in my grandparents’ backyard. As I said, he was a complete fake. 


As the time passed, and my stomach filled with more carnival food, I felt ready to leave before remembering my fortune. 


“Ah yes, sparks in my future? Yeah right,” I tried my best to copy the fortune teller’s accent as I laughed to myself, joining the growing crowd as we got ready for the fireworks show.


Although, this is just routine, and by the time I was eleven, the wonder and excitement of it all fizzled out. Ten years later, and nothing had changed, if anything, it’s as if this is a chore. Waste money, eat everything the doctor tells you not to, and watch sparkling lights in the air. Same old small-town carnival routine. 


As I found a semi-comfortable lawn chair, the fireworks began with a bang, nearly being drowned out by the chaos of the crowd. Lots of kids crying, some squealing with excitement, some both. I have to say, I don’t miss much of my childhood, but so do miss being excited about something, and not have to worry about how it’ll affect my credit score later. I heard that a new team was running the fireworks show this year, so I assumed that they would want to start with a bang, but it was the same old thing. Just sparks of color, nothing else. 


That’s what I thought at first, but the swirling of my head was saying something different, and the next firework that occurred confirmed that I was either going crazy or I had just been transported back to the beach I always visited when I was a child. I can’t believe I completely forgot about this place. I had always collected seashells and sand to store in an old pasta sauce jar from my grandma. The cool air feels so nice and the breeze is just right. The safe feeling of being placed here and the familiar texture of the seashell I just picked up and placed in my pocket is so refreshing, but the immediate cheering I hear when I’m transported back to my seat at the carnival washes all of that peace away. What just happened? Was I really there? Did that really happen? Maybe I just ate too much fair food, yeah that’s it. I’m not crazy, right? Yet, when another firework burst into the air as I gripped the arms of my seat, the swirling sensation in my head returned. My eyes refused to open as the fear of being placed somewhere else made chills run up my spine. The last place wasn’t bad, but how can I trust this? Are others experiencing this? 


I’m forced to open my eyes as I hear the sound of water rushing past my feet. The old river I visited when I visited my older cousin? The trees are still so strong and tall here, and the cicadas are just as loud as the rushing water. It’s like the atmosphere is hugging me in the best way and I can close my eyes in peace. As I open them, I am once again in my seat in the large, cheering crowd. My senses feel as if they are fine-tuned. The lights of the rides and decorations seem brighter, partially merging with the aura of the fireworks. The arms of the chair are rough and peeled, nearly scratching my fingertips off. The crowd is much louder, and the sound of everyone floods my ears. 


I don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve actually focused on the fireworks. I don’t know how many years it’s been since I’ve really looked at anything. I’m so used to going through the motions, I’ve been forgetting to just stop and look. Stop, look, and enjoy all that I can. I forgot about the purity of it all. The buzz of curiosity in my body. I wonder if I actually went to those places, or if it was just the feeling that I was supposed to focus on. Maybe it was everything. Everything that pulled me away from the pressure of expectations. 


And with that realization, the last firework burst into the dark blue sky. It was the shape of the sun and held a mix of blood orange and yellow. It quickly collapsed and fell to the ground as the crowd cheered once more, already getting ready to leave. The new leader of the fireworks how team thanked everyone for enjoying the show, and his eyes seemed to meet mine as he smiled and nodded towards me. That same chill from earlier was sent through my body, and I knew it was time to go home, but this time, I would move with wonder just like when I was a child. 


As I walked to the entrance, I saw the fortune teller again as she smiled and wagged her finger at me. The leader of the fireworks team then stood by her side and smiled. How did he get here so fast?


“I see that your wonder has returned due to the sparks. Congratulations,” the old woman just laughed happily and the man escorted her to the exit. I just stood there for a few minutes after that encounter, wondering what in the world just happened and if the old woman had a hand in what happened at the show. She had to right? Looks like I was already starting to be more curious. 


As I finally made it to the exit after trying to wrap my mind around everything, I realized that the world around me seemed different. I could smell the freshly baked bread from the bakery as they closed up for the night, I could hear children rambling about all the colors and shapes they saw at the show, I could feel… a seashell in my pocket? The seashell from earlier when I was transported. 


“So it was all real?” I mumbled to myself as I walked home. I’d hate to lose myself in the fact that it was real, but I have to think why me? Was I really the only one that experienced that tonight? Well, I’m glad I experienced it at all. The world is brighter and it feels as if I just woke up. The most beautiful feeling.


“Make sure to come back next year,” some operations team leaders were still making sure that the excitement of the carnival remained in everyone’s hearts. It certainly was in mine. 


“Definitely, I will definitely be coming back,” The sky was darker than before, but the lights of the town and stars still shined, leading me to my place as I find myself wanting to get lost again in the fireworks from earlier.


May 09, 2021 20:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.