A Stranger Comes To Town

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Start your story with the arrival of a strange visitor in a small town.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

Oceanside is your typical everyday average town. Small shops line Main Street, people out and about. Kids running around playing, tourists coming to Oceanside for a dream vacation. What can you ask for in a town that is ranked No.1 in tourists destination?


A mysterious stranger coming to Oceanside can ruin everything, and that's what happened. Early in the afternoon a mysterious man walked into Oceanside cafe. Nobody knew who this man was not even the mayor, and the mayor knows everyone. We all asked around to see if anyone knew who this man was, but nobody knew.


We stared at the man for a long time. He seemed not to care that everyone was looking at him. We couldn't get a good look at him because he's wearing a hoodie. We didn't know what to do. Everyone is getting nervous seeing someone we don't know.


After a long tense hour the mysterious stranger gets up and leave. I can see everybody feels relaxed. Me on the other hand is curious about the stranger, so I decide to follow him.


The stranger leaves the cafe and as he is leaving he turns around and we get a look at his face. He has piercing green eyes, but as quickly as he turns to us he quickly turns away and his green eyes are the only thing I see.


I follow the stranger outside. The people are still looking at him, they point to him, but nobody seems to know who he is. I follow him down the street. He makes a turn at the light. It looks like he's going to the cemetery. Why would he go to the cemetery?


I see the stranger go into the cemetery. I carefully follow him. I see him looking around. It seems he's looking for a headstone. I hide behind one of the larger headstones. I peek out and see he's found what he is looking for.


I look around and tiptoe out. I want to get somewhere closer where I can see his face. I find the spot I want to be in. I go there and it gives me a clear view of the stranger.


He takes off his hoodie. I can see he's not much older than me, maybe in his twenties. He's sitting down in front of the headstone. I see tears running down his face.


I don't know what he's saying, but he looks really sad. Maybe it's one of his family members or a close personal friend. Whoever it is he came here for this person. Maybe this stranger once lived here in Oceanside.


After a few minutes the stranger gets up and leaves. I wait for a while to make sure the stranger has left the cemetery. Once I see he has left I go to the headstone. I look at the name and it reads Molly Moore.


Who is Molly Moore?


Stranger

It's hard coming back to Oceanside, but for Molly I always come back. She meant everything to me and for her I will always be here.


This time coming back to Oceanside seemed a bit different. The people here don't recognize me, not that I don't mind. Since I arrived I've gotten looks from the people that I don't belong. I don't care about these people. I cam here for one reason and one reason only. I came here to be with Molly.


It's still painful going to the cemetery. I cry every time I see Molly's grave. Molly should be here with me. We should of had a life together, but she's not here and it's all my fault. I miss Molly so much. I love her with all my heart. I kiss the headstone and get up to leave.


I'm still looking at the headstone wondering who Molly Moore is. Nobody I know knows anything about Molly Moore. I wonder why that is?


I go to the only place that can give me answers about Molly Moore, the library. I walk quickly back to town. I hear the people still whispering about the stranger. I ignore them.


I arrive at the library. I open the door and wave at Mrs. Murphy. She waves back. I head to the computer. I sit down, turn the computer on and search for any news relating to Molly Moore. I found an article and a picture about Molly Moore. I look at the picture. She looks beautiful. Blond hair, blue eyes, an all American girl.. The article talks about her achievements, then one article catches my attention.


I open the article and what I see shocks me. It reads "tragedy in Oceanside. Three teenagers killed in horrific car accident. One survivor." Oh my god! I read the names of the victims Lucas Carter, Logan Andrews and Molly Moore. The only survivor Zayen Garcia. I keep reading the article and it breaks my heart.


Zayen Garcia was the star quarterback of the Oceanside high Tigers. Molly Moore was his girlfriend and Logan Andrews and Lucas Carter were his best friends. The cops investigated the cars for three days and found Zayen was speeding at the time of the crash. Zayen was arrested, convicted and spent three years in prison.


The stranger who came to Oceanside is Zayen Garcia. I wonder why nobody remembers him? I get up to leave the library when I notice someone looking at me. I turn around and come face to face with none other than Zayen Garcia.


He stares at me and I stare back. He looks at the computer and notices an article about the crash. He angrily looks at me and say's.


"Why are you looking at that article?"


I don't know what to say. I just stare at him.


"I asked you a question."


"I want to know who you are. I saw you at the cemetery."


"Now you know who I am."


Zayen walks away from me. I let out a sigh of relief.


"You okay Jasmine."


"I'm fine Mrs. Murphy."


I get up and walk out of the library. I go to the flower shop and buy flowers. I head back to the cemetery to Molly's grave. I put the flowers on top of her headstone.


"I'm so sorry this happened to you. May you Rest In Peace."


I stay at Molly's grave for a few minutes. My heart hurts for Molly, Logan and Lucas.


I bid farewell to Molly and head back to town. I see no sign of Zayen. I guess he left town.

June 02, 2021 21:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.