The truth shall set you free

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a story about an ordinary person speaking truth to power.... view prompt

0 comments

Bedtime Fantasy Inspirational

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon and the Truth”.

With this quotation by Buddha, little, malformed Kokknis closed his book, reclined against tree stock and drove himself into his land of dreams where truth always prevailed under his aegis. Kokknis was brownie type of fairy. He had been frequently bullied by his fellow faries for his physical appearance as well as for his contemplations over all the injustices and lies of royalty. But he never mind those fellows instead their degrading remarks always reminded him of words of his mother; “you are very special my son, God has created you for some bigger task” and with this she used to quote Sophocles “one must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been”.

On one fine day, Kokknis was going towards river side with his favorite book in hand. On his way, he saw gnarled courtier. Courtier was addressing facile public. Kokknis also joined the mob of listeners. But to his astonishment, gnarled courtier was there not to ask problems of public but to manipulate them to achieve evil goals of royalty and to conceal their lies. This was unbearable for veracious Kokknis and he spoke out Plato’s words “false words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil”. Interpose was irksome but controlling his temperament, gnarled courtier asked for the interposer. Kokknis stepped foward spunkly. As soon as courtier and public got glimpse of little, deformed Kokknis, they all laughed out hysterically. Halt, said Kokknis by raising his right hand. “Monarch is ruling over us since forever and we the people of fairyland are obeying them without questioning their diabolical laws. But now it’s time for change. Now in tough times neither we want to listen why don’t they eat cakes by those who have no idea how to earn daily bread and butter nor we want finagled commandments. We, the residents of fairyland want our rights and also we want our royals to be truthful with us”. Courtier was not happy with the monologue of a deformed brownie. He felt insult because according to him, the low social strata of brownies compelled them to stay mute, they were supposed to be ugly, mindless creatures whose purpose was to serve only. “I’m not obliged to answer any deformed brownie” gnarled courtier bawled. “I was here just to inform people how hard their rulers are trying to make people content. This kind of unthankful behavior by low class is an insult for them”. Saying this, he stamped his foot, turned and left. Crowd started muttering and started to leave the place. Situation was agonizing. Kokknis asked people to stop and listen to him but they all displaced themselves slowly.

As soon as courtier reached the royal palace, he made appearance before the Royals and informed them about deformed brownie and warned them about smell of revolution. One of the senior Royals said hatefully, ‘how naive he is to say a word against us having no knowledge that we are experienced in crushing revolts. He, the member of lowest class of the society, how could he dare to spark revolution against us. Aaaa! Michiavelli was a wise man and I endorse his words which are; “a wise lord cannot, nor ought he to, keep his promises when such observance would place him at disadvantage”. What he said about commandments? He has given us clue that he is having a close eye on our actions and noticing how smartly we are manipulating the rules according to our convenience and interest. But enough now, he is going to pay a heavy price for this insolence and we the Royals will punish him so his end will deterrent others’. Other Royals smirked and their inkling was indication that something big was going to happen.

Story of Kokknis audacity before courtier spread like a wild fire in fairyland and everyone started passing comments according to their merit. Some appreciated his courage and some disapproved of this rude behavior by a member of lowest class. Some made their minds to support Kokknis but there was also a group who was fearing that they will also face the consequences. Whole fairyland was in different kind of frames of mind and were waiting for the torment inflicted by the Royals upon them.

Next morning, there was announcement that all members of the fairyland should be gathered at oldest oak tree to hear the message from the Royals. By noon, all fairyland was present under the shade of the big, old oak tree. Messanger came, took a bird eye view of the crowd, cleared his throat and open the message roll and read it out aloud with a confidence in his voice. “I, the messenger of the Royals, is here to clear some of your doubts. You all are aware of the discourteous deformed brownie who attempted to degrade the representative of our the Royals just to spread chaos in our lovely peaceful fairyland. We, the fairies of fairyland are spending our lives peaceful under this monarch since ages and we all are well aware that they have sacrificed their peace of mind and night’s sleep for the well-being of ours. They do have changed some banal rules and commandments but not for themselves but for you fairies and if in this scenario you doubt actions of the Royals than this is injustice from your side. Just to maintain your trust and to show love, the Royals have decided a grand lunch tomorrow and they want all of you to join. End of announcement!!!”

Next evening there was great hustle and bustle in the palace. All fairyland was present there except the Kokknis but tyrants were wrong in perceiving that absence of Kokknis would be unfelt by invited guests in coruscation of the great feast because truth cannot be concealed. When all fairies were having dinner and chit chat, suddenly someone sparked discussion about Kokknis and all invited guests caught attention towards absence of Kokknis. Not finding Kokknis between them was worrisome for some fairies but some other faries equated his absence with defeat of truth. Sparkling discussion and questions about absence of Kokknis reached ears of the Royals too and informer informed them that this could lead to discomforting situation. As this meeting was going on, suddenly a person rose and asked what tact the Royals have tried to shut the mouth of the truth. Tone of the questioner was rude and threatening because the Royals had never imagined that any Tom, Harry and Dick would ever question them. This was an insult. “Shut up!” said one of the Royals in anger, “we are not here to justify our deeds. We are here to rule and to rule is our by birth right. One of the moth tried to degrade us and now many among you are following his wrong path. Beware! Else the end is terrific”. Hearing this threat, many guests started to leave the party. This was the start of revolution.

When fairies returned their town, they found injured Kokknis hanging by the oak tree. This scene was sad and terrifying at the same time. They rescued Kokknis. As rescued, Kokknis quoted Sophocles and said “the truth is what I cherish and that’s my strength”, after saying these words, Kokknis soul left his body. Fairyland bemoaned the loss of veracious Kokknis but they were well aware that they cannot rewind the past and bring back that silly deformed brownie on whose ideas and contemplations they used to laugh and condemned him for being a day dreamer and vanguard of truth.

Next morning, in the town there was a curfews sort of situation. Men from the Royals were everywhere. But now fairies were angry too. It was impossible to stop their protest. Now fairies wanted truth and justice, no more dissembled faces because fairyland wasn’t a city of any single fairy or monarch but of all fairies. People were holding banners with statements: no false can prevent truth, truth will prevail, Kokknis was true hero, no more dissembled faces, this is land of all faries and so on. But men by the Royals were there to stop them to march towards the palace. Interception from the royal guards was leading situation to riots. Civil war was kindled and for the safety of the Royals, decision makers of palace decided table talk.

An old courtier by the Royals came to settle down the issue. But the only demand from protesters side was victory of truth for which Kokknis sacrificed his life and establishment of new democratic government. Just to avoid French revolution or Arab spring ending, the Royals were forced to agree all the conditions. For all the corruptions done by the Royals and for murder of Kokknis, they were forced to face exile for the entire life. Hence in this way a small spark of truth by a common man sparkled the whole situation of revolution just to declare the truth as victorious and to prove the fact that truth could be as small as a seed, but one day it would flourish like a bud to make strong trees with strong roots.

April 09, 2021 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.