0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Inspirational

Naella hurried to finish her chores. She had only just begun watering the garden when she heard her name being called. She looked around and spotted nobody. What? She thought to herself. Is it my imagination?

“NAELLA!” The call sounded urgent, but still, she could not find the source. She began pacing the garden, hearing her name every so often.

As she reached the tiny spring in the back of her yard, the call seemed louder. She ducked under her willows to her hidden reading spot. It was her most treasured secret, now she was worried someone else had discovered it. She heard her name again, louder and much closer. As she scanned her secret cove, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Her rug still perfectly placed, the pillows neatly resting on each other, her books still in the same haphazardly stacked piles. She picked this area because the willows hung so thick around that she never had to worry about rain. How she even discovered it was beyond her. Sometimes she believed something called her here and now something was.

“Naella..” The whisper came from behind a stack of books.

“What in the world?!” Naella crouched down and slowly crept over to the voice. She peered over the pile and found a tiny fairy. Now she was sure she was dreaming.

“Don’t be afraid, and I promise you are not dreaming.” The fairy spoke with a light, airy voice. It was wearing a bright yellow flowy top with brown cargo pants and black ‘Doc Martins’. Her arms had metal cuffs carved with intricate details wrapped around them, and her wrists layered with many different kinds of bracelets. Her hair was long and brown, mixed with braids and different beads and trinkets. Her presence was breathtaking alone.

As Naella was processing what just happened the fairy spoke again, “If you’re wondering why I called you here you have good reason, we don’t normally reach out to humans for help.”

“Help you say?” Naella stood blinking at the impossible figure just standing there, wings fluttering lightly with every breeze.

“Yes, we’re in danger and so are humans. Ah, I just realized I never introduced myself, how very rude of me. My name is Levean, and we’ve actually met before once.”

“Before??” Naella was truly puzzled. She has never in her life come across a creature like this.

“Yes, when I first brought you to this place, though I’m sure you wouldn’t remember.. the magic does wear off over time.”

“I can barely process this. I don’t understand how I can help you or the entire human race!” Naella began pacing again. She always did that when she was frustrated. “I’m certain I must be dreaming!”

“Can you please sit down, so I can explain? You’re making me nervous; you know I’m not that big.” The fairy chuckled but the humor fell short.

“Okay fine.” She plopped herself down on her pillows. Her long blonde locs falling around her, the charms in her hair clinking together as they found their place.

"There's a lot to explain, and we don't have much time so forgive me if I don't make much sense."

“But of course, Levean.” Naella fidgeted with the pillows and rearranged her books repeatedly. I really need to organize these better, she thought to herself.

Levean flew up to the book stacks and stood. “Do you ever wonder how you found this place?”

“Usually, every day. Though I do love it so!” Naella marveled at her work.

“Yes, I can tell, you spend a lot of time here.” Levean gestured at the cozy tucked away nook. “And do you think you made that fairy garden for your own imagination?”

Naella’s eyes wandered over to her precious intricately decorated garden. The spring ran around the willow tree and Naella built tiny houses and bridges. She placed little tables and chairs under the giant Monstera leaves. She even built a miniature tree house. Complete with a spiral staircase and a library filled with the smallest books. She admired her work but never believed she built all of this to be used. Curious enough she did find herself wondering how the wildflowers always seemed to change before her eyes and the annoying bugs typically found by springs were nonexistent.

“You see Naella, when you first moved to this cottage, we believed you to be a trusted soul, so we watched you. I did guide you back here, I even introduced myself back then and encouraged you to build all of this. Not necessarily for us, but because you dreamt about it. It was something you always wanted in your own backyard. Yes, we loved it too, so we put it to use.” Levean obviously cherished her accomplishment, she glowed with pride.

“Yes, I think I remember now, though I was certain it was all a dream. But what does all of this and me have to do with saving anybody??” Naella was getting impatient and wanted to know what Levean wanted.

“I know it doesn’t make any sense right now, but because you are a trusted human.”

Naella cut her off, “A trusted human?! What does that even mean?”

“Someone who believes, even if they’re not sure if they truly believe. Sometimes your imagination is more real than it lets on.” Levean said gently.

“So, there’s more of me?” Naella pondered the question and then stood to walk over to the spring. She sat back down with her toes in the water and watched the tiny water mill she built on the side of one of the houses.

Levean flew around and landed by her side again. “Naturally, and we’re gathering all of you because it’s time for change, and unfortunately, we cannot do it alone. The majority of humans don’t believe anymore and that is causing a divide between our worlds that could be catastrophic for the entire planet. This is our home too, but humans have lost touch with their roots. They’ve taken nature for granted and you know how moody she can get.”

“Ah, I’ve noticed the shift. So many storms and disasters. Mother Nature is definitely showing her distaste towards us. But again, how are we supposed to wake up an entire population? Especially one that revels in familiarity and hates to be stirred up.”

“Easy! I’ll show you! Enough chatting let’s go." Levean darted through the willows. Naella quickly got up and chased her.

*******

After gathering what they needed from Naella’s cottage they set off on their journey. At first Naella was worried about people seeing her with a fairy or worse, thinking she was talking to herself. She could imagine the stares and whispers behind her back, enough to make her want to turn around and hide in her cottage. She couldn’t save the world, let alone herself. Levean was crazy for thinking so. Just as soon as she made up her mind, Levean interrupted her thoughts.

“If you’re worried about people seeing you with me, there’s no need.”

“Oh? And whys that and how do you always know what I’m thinking?!” Naella wasn’t sure what reality she was in anymore.

“Because humans are so practical, so predictable. Focused on one task, eyes on your phones at all times. Well, not you per say. But you understand and you my dear, I’ve been watching for a while. One thing I’ve noticed is you wear your heart on your sleeve and your thoughts written on your face. Never a bad thing. Just kind of easy to read.” Levean fluttered around her. “You are magic in yourself Naella, don’t ever forget that.

Not used to such compliments or deep affection from a stranger, Naella wiped her palms on her skirts and managed a quiet “thanks”.

                         *******

They arrived at what Naella wanted to call a convention center but quickly realized it was a massive news broadcasting building. She had no idea what the fae had in mind but whatever it was, was bigger than she thought.

“Levean? What do you guys have planned?” She asked as they walked to where everyone was gathered around a podium.

“Mmmm, I could tell you, or you could sit down and listen because the shows about to start.”

Naella found a chair and finally let her eyes wander. Fae, humans, other mythical creatures, that up until now, only existed in fairytales, all dotted around this auditorium waiting for the man who just walked up to the podium to start speaking.

Suddenly, the lights went low, and the televisions turned on. There were speakers and microphones everywhere. There was even an entire wall set up with small monitors showing images of all the government buildings in the world. Naella was shocked at how elaborate this all seemed, it became apparent this has been brewing for a while.

“Hello everyone. My name is Nikolai. I have a very important message to share with you, the entire world, and an even more urgent request.” Nikolai spoke with strength and confidence. “Please understand that we do not intend any harm, but humans are in grave danger. Planet Earth is in grave danger. You all may be wondering why we are stationed at the most important facilities and government buildings. It may seem like we are here to intimidate, but we are here to ensure our message is heard, processed, and the necessary steps will be taken to save all of us. Humans have taken our planet for granted, we have snuffed out every resource she has given us, and she has nothing left to offer. The greed, the mass self-centered mindset, the me first rat race must stop. We can turn this around; we can fix this.” Nikolai paused for a moment to allow his message to take weight.

The crowd surrounding him erupted into cheers, claps, and chanting. It took Nikolai some time to calm them enough to speak again.

“Thank you everybody for your support, I need you to believe me today. I’m sure some of you have already felt the shift, but if you haven’t, know it is happening. Now, our request is to have the entire government and all of it forces to stand down. Allow the people to govern themselves and do what is right. 90% of them have already proven themselves capable, the other 10% will work themselves out when all of this is said and done. We don’t want to resort to threats or force, but our guards are ready to take control where necessary. Please do not take these requests lightly. Humans are capable of working together to save planet earth. The government has had the reigns for far too long and has led us into destruction and chaos. Stand down and allow peace to remain intact.” Nikolai slowly walked away from the podium and towards the wall of monitors. The entire room held its breath and waited in tension.

Naella and Levean watched, afraid to move, afraid to upset the very delicate balance in which they stood right now. After what seemed like hours, people started gasping, fae started cheering and everyone was rushing to get a better look at the screens.

They couldn’t believe their eyes. Naella felt like she was going to pass out in shock. All the camera screens showed people walking out of the buildings and centers. They were listening! Nikolais words sunk in. She truly believed there was going to be more resistance, but this shift had been heavy and more people than she realized must have felt it. Or maybe it was the numbers they had and the delicate plan they put into place a long time ago. Naella could ponder it all day, but she didn’t want to question anymore. She was content knowing they had succeeded.

“See, I told you it would be easy!” Levean nudged her in the arm. “Oh! Nikolai is coming over here! Look!”

“Why would he want to talk to us?” Naella never really understood how important Levean was to this whole organization until Nikolai walked over and pulled her into a hug. Naella quickly realized the illusion was fading, Nikolai turned into a fae right before her eyes, this whole thing had her head spinning. “Would someone please explain what is going on!”

Levean and Nikolai untangled from each other, and Nikolai began explaining. “Naella, I’m sorry we haven’t been able to fully elaborate the details, everything was time pressed! Levean has been able to tell you enough, right?”

“I guess? They filled me in up until the government and force. Why would that be necessary if they didn’t cooperate?” She stuttered and her fists clenched.

“Ah, Naella, I see it is hard for you to fathom why force is sometimes necessary. Many of you trusted souls do, it seems all of you prefer peace, which is a wonderful thing. I’m going to let Levean explain further. Thank you for your help today!” Nikolai squeezed Naella’s hand tightly and let go.

“Good. I thought it was enough knowing we won, but I simply don’t understand what just happened.” Naella played with her hair and looked around self-consciously. For some reason, she felt this shouldn’t be so hard to piece together.

“Naella lets take a walk.” Levean flew in front of her and guided her to a quieter area. “Long ago, humans and fae made an agreement to protect Earth but leave each other alone. I’m sure you’ve heard stories of fae tricks and the mischief we are known for. Well, this started a war between our kinds, and it ended up destroying most of the earth. In order to gain peace and restore the ruins we created, we had to come to a common understanding. Now, we’ve mostly held up our end of the deal, but humans have long forgotten and therefore the agreement is no longer honored. Which is why we had to start making contact, why we had our strongest guards ready to act at the gates of what you humans call your ‘most important’ characters and why we’ve always had a plan to take back control if things got bad.”

They found themselves sitting outside under a tree, seemingly where they both sought comfort. “Wow, I had no idea it was this elaborate, and who exactly is Nikolai? What do you two have to do with each other?” Naella was beginning to put the puzzle together. The future was beginning to look brighter. Now, she really hoped she wasn’t dreaming.

“Nikolai is my soulmate, my other half. We were bonded together many lifetimes ago. Nikolais father and basically the entire family line has continued to hold and carry our traditions, our rituals, our stories, and most importantly, the treaties we create with other species throughout generations.” Levean was lost in adoration.

“Ah, that is incredibly respectful.” Naella looked around and for some reason the earth seemed to have changed. The colors more vibrant, the trees came alive with chatter in the breeze, even the sky and clouds seemed to share their gratitude. “Do things feel different already?” She asked Levean as she ran her hands across the grass.

“Absolutely. Mother Nature is thanking us. It’s time to work together again and begin the healing. Shall we head back to your home? Our home?” She looked at Naella eagerly, like a child waiting for ice cream.

“To our home? That is it? There is nothing more to do here?” She was genuinely shocked it was that easy.

“Yup. Easy as that, luckily there was no resistance. Apparently, the Earth has made her point and people are finally paying attention. Now, we get to go back to living our lives just as before. Nikolai will join us when the clean-up here is done.”

              ******

Naella woke up in her garden. Everything seemed exactly as she left it. Wait. Where was Levean? She pondered as her eyes scanned every single crevice and corner of her hideout.

“Levean?” Ironic, now I’m the one calling for her! She chuckled to herself. “You promised I wasn’t dreaming, so where are you?” Naella stood and began wandering around trying to spot her friend. “Levean?!” They were nowhere to be found, and the silence that was returned made her certain she was alone again. She didn’t know what to believe anymore, so she returned to her spot in the willows and dipped her toes in the water. As Naella gazed at her tiny homes and her little world she created, she could have sworn she saw orbs with wings fluttering in and out of the doors, and over bridges.

Whether it was her imagination or not, Naella smiled and enjoyed the peace that washed over her. 

July 27, 2024 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.