Grieving Yourself

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Start your story with a character in despair.... view prompt

56 comments

Fiction

Richard had ignored the signs. His had been a demise that crept upon him slowly, his self-worth stolen in the lonely work hours, validation kept from him at home. If it wasn’t the expectations of his career peeling back the last of his resolve, it was his high-strung wife with her exhaustive demands. She taxed him to the brink of collapse. His three children had pushed him to the edges of bankruptcy with their private schools, designer clothes, and rehab stints. He loved them, but they had drifted from his reach, caught in the rip current of daily activities. His life had faltered, picked up momentum, and now lay in utter ruins as he rifled through the paperwork the nurse handed him.

“It will be okay, Mr. Darden,” she lingered with eye contact, forcing a faint smile.

“I know. It has to be,” he muttered unintelligibly, “there must be a way to right things.”

When he stepped outside, the sun’s glare, which normally accosted his sensibilities, held him in its warmth. The hospital grounds were steeped in green hues, awakening his senses, the air rife with smells, fragrant and sweet. For the first time in many days, no months, he felt a connection to the ordered flow of nature, on the cusp of an infinite understanding. Then he glanced downward, the paperwork stark in its finality. He bit his lip, tasting the metallic bitterness, the one tangible sign that he was still alive.

“Pancreatic cancer,” he said the words aloud, as if putting them to sound might help make sense of it.

The discouragement and despair funneled into a sudden anger. He grasped for a way back to that time before his death sentence. It had to be a misunderstanding; they confused the lab results with someone else. He was in his prime, a recent promotion to Director-level, the possibility of realigning his finances, and now it was being stripped from him, not slowly, but in a quick rage. His diagnosis was unfathomable. It wasn’t a solid wall he was pinned against. The denial was amorphous, wrapping its arms around him from all angles.

“How could I have only two to three weeks left?” The question went unanswered. He knew he was asking a ghost.

Richard teetered, his balance being swept up in the movement of passer-byers, the chirpings of the mockingbirds. He sat with a spinning heaviness on the vacant bench, feeling his inner reserves collapsing, surveying his options in his mind’s eye. It was too much to sustain, and he cradled his forehead in the palms of his tired hands.

He could feel a tear, one at first, followed by many rolling down the inside of his cheek, skirting his nose and the corners of his lips. They raced a hurried path to the edges of his chin where he watched the saline drops fall into the Bermuda grass below. His body rocked to the rhythm of the release, a cathartic movement.

In his concentrated focus, Richard hadn’t felt the presence of his bench companion, and he was jarred back into the present by her question, a soft utterance, “You’re trying to find the perfect thing to bargain, aren’t you?”

He slipped his palms over his eyes, wiping away the errant tears. He was afraid to meet her gaze.

“I am willing to trade anything, at this point,” he said, slowly turning to face this stranger with the gentleness in her voice.

She stared straight ahead, her hand reaching to tame the hem of her white dress as it fluttered with the insolent breeze. She sighed, not from exasperation, but an empathetic exhale.

“It’s natural to think you can buy your way out of this fix. There are all those sayings you grow up with like ‘where there’s a will, there’s a way.’ Or ‘never give up.’ ‘Perseverance pays off.’ I can go on and on,” her thoughts trailed into the silence.

She tucked the dress under her knee, reigning in the difficulties, yanking away the flirtation of the breeze.

Richard averted the truth, “I mean, you know it can happen. You hear about friends of friends who get cancer or MS or have that unexpected heart attack, but you never think it will be you. It can’t be me. I haven’t even started living yet,” he raised his eyebrows with the ponderance, “Meg and I were supposed to take all these grand trips once the kids were through college. I’ve been mired in work for decades with the thought that there would be a payoff in retirement, and maybe even an early one of that.”

He sat up straight, a conviction flowing through him, “I will do anything, anything to change it. I’ll go to church. I’ll volunteer. I’ll make amends with my kids,” pausing he continued, “And Meg. I’ll make her happy. I’ll adopt a dog, or a child, yes, a child. I’ll take in a homeless person. I’ll do whatever it takes.”

His steadfastness warped into a frantic anguish, his voice tilting into desperation, “I’ll admit to all my sins, the ones known and unknown. I’ll change. I’ll be a better person…I’ll never take anything or anyone for granted again. I won’t. I promise.” His voice receded into the blank nothingness; his pleas fading alongside his vision of himself.

She let her hand rest on his knee.

Her tone, caring and pure, she urged, “Live fully with no regrets. Enjoy the way ice cream tastes and how sweet the melody is in your favorite song. Laugh at the simple observations your kids make, and revel in the kindnesses that abound. Don’t waste any more time. There is no space for grieving yourself.”

Richard shook his head with acknowledgment and closed his eyes, allowing the tenderness of her advice and touch to wash over him. For a moment, he felt whole.

Once steadied in his thoughts, he said, “I needed someone to show me another way to accept my failings. I needed someone to listen.”

Glancing to his right, the bench was empty, as if she had never been there. Richard swiveled to see behind him, raising to a half stand, his bent leg resting on the bench. He looked back and forth quickly and turned around, surmising he would see her disappearing in the distance, but she was gone.

“Where did she go?” he whispered, struck by the seeming elusiveness. He could still smell the scent of her perfume.

Lowering himself back on the bench, Richard reached into the inside pocket of his sports coat, and pulled out the scratch-off lottery ticket that he had purchased at the gas station on his morning drive. He half-chuckled at himself, toying with the possibility that lightning could strike twice in a single day. With a penny that felt gritty in between his fingers, he carefully rubbed away the grey coating. The small flecks stuck to the card and his hand, as he shook it away. For the second time in a span of hours, he sat motionless, shaking the card and looking at it again, bringing it close to his field of vision.

“You unlucky bastard! There is no way!” he laughed a hearty laugh, scanning the grounds with the hope of seeing his disappearing friend.

His focus fell on the cherry willow, weighted in white blossoms. It labored in the gust of wind, its wispy branches shifting then returning to their natural bent. He wished he could share his newfound windfall, but only misery loves company, and she was long departed.

Instead, his gaze alighted on a young female, holding her newborn, as she was being pushed to a waiting vehicle. They looked serene in their passage to the life that awaited. Richard instinctively jumped up and ran toward them, his bargaining complete.

“Please take this and do something good, something beautiful, something you’ll be proud of,” he implored.

She struggled to understand the exchange and the ticket he had handed her. She clutched her infant closely to her chest and eyed the gift.

Sprinting away, Richard turned back and playfully yelled, “Remember this moment, remember me!”

His legs carried him across the open lawn toward the parking lot, chasing a realization, a shred of happiness still within grasp. He tore into his dark blue Lexus, and sped toward the main thoroughfare, intent to get home to share his profound news. His family mattered; they were the only thing that mattered.

Weaving in and out of traffic, delicate maneuvers to spare time, he dialed the office.

“Yes, Charlie’s line please,” he stammered to the annoying receptionist, the one who always clicked her teeth and twirled the ends of her hair.

“Charlie! Hey – it’s me Rich. This request, well it’s not really a request, I won’t, well you see, I’m taking the next two weeks off from work. I know, I know, it’s last minute, but it’s got to be done, and you’ll understand. It will all make sense soon. No, it can’t wait. You’ll see – trust me. You’ve been great, swell, I’m not sure of the right word, but thank you,” and he let the call disconnect.

The commute afforded him twenty minutes to mull over his approach, torn between telling them the truth about his illness, or offering them a two-week vacation to San Francisco. He had always wanted to visit northern California, to feel the chilled air walking along the pier, exploring the myriad neighborhoods on their slanted streets, the smells of sea and city-life combined. Would it be fair to keep his secret? They could persist in the experience of something new, together and without the confines of his prognosis.

Pulling into the driveway, he shut off the engine, looking up at the façade of his Colonial-style house. His heart tugged at the innumerable times he failed to notice the enormity of what he had, and the larger scope of what he had to lose. A light in the upstairs bedroom was extinguished. The quiet of the evening beckoned, a solitude in knowing the inevitable loomed.

Once inside, Richard shouted, “I'm home!”

The gathered silence broke into distant murmurings and grumbles.

“Hey, everyone come down here. It’s important. We need to talk as a family,” he let the words tumble out with a forced positivity, a weakening bravado.

He sat down at the kitchen bar uncertain how he would tell them, if he could tell them, flipping the message in his mind, wondering how they would react to his mortality. Maura, his youngest and sole daughter, would be depleted yet resilient. She was daddy’s girl, the one he could count on in the worst of situations. Drake would be despondent, but it would blend with his normal angst. Dylan was the wild card, the eldest son who was dutiful in his support. Meg would be a quiet disaster, and he realized how much he loved her.

“What’s up, Dad?” Maura bounced into the room with her resilience.

Meg came from the laundry room with a folded basket of clothes, as Drake leaned in the entryway of the kitchen.

“Dylan!” bellowed Richard.

“Coming, Dad,” he shouted back, simultaneously appearing next to Drake.

“This better be good,” said Meg, tiring of holding the basket.

Richard took a deep breath and relaxed into a smile, a sad optimism in the words that followed, “I have something to tell you.”

June 22, 2024 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

BRUCE MARTIN
01:57 Sep 21, 2024

I really liked this story. It was intriguing and compelling, keeping my interest throughout. Good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fern Everton
19:59 Aug 04, 2024

Harry! Great to see you writing again, and with such an interesting tale as well! It’s incredibly difficult to imagine what one would do with a diagnosis like that, so Richard’s despair is really very understandable. I wonder what he’ll end up telling his family— there’s a million ways the conversation could go. Nicely done!

Reply

Harry Stuart
22:32 Aug 09, 2024

Thanks so much, Fern! I’ve been busy, so finding it harder to write as much as I would like. Glad you enjoyed this one. Still working on the “Fern” sequel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
19:36 Jul 21, 2024

Always a pleasure, Harry

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daryl Kulak
18:01 Jul 08, 2024

I like the story a lot. It is difficult to imagine what a diagnosis like that would feel like. The ending is great.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie Burges
09:29 Jul 01, 2024

Thanks, Harry. A well-written, enjoyable story. ...... what will Richard tell them???

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:17 Jun 30, 2024

My dad finished his Immunotherapy a year ago and has been in remission from Lung Cancer for two years this month. So, this story was difficult to read. But you do a great job at driving a very important lesson home. If you learn your time on this planet is limited, make every last moment count. Don't waste your time on work or other unimportant things. Tackle your bucket list, spend time with your family, and do anything and everything to make your last days filled with happiness and joy.

Reply

Harry Stuart
17:18 Jun 30, 2024

I couldn’t agree with you more, Samantha. Thank you for reading and sharing. It feels great when the stories connect with people. May your Dad have many more healthy years doing all the things he loves!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Baker
01:42 Jun 27, 2024

The emotions are so strong! Such a beautifully written story, I admire your writing!!

Reply

Harry Stuart
16:03 Jun 28, 2024

Thanks, Sarah - very kind of you to say!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
22:12 Jun 24, 2024

So sad, so well-written, and a reminder to make the most of life no matter what. Nice touch with the scratch card (story and description).

Reply

Harry Stuart
16:03 Jun 28, 2024

Thanks, Carol, for the very kind feedback! Congrats on your shortlisted story!

Reply

Carol Stewart
16:42 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you, that surprised me :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
11:34 Jun 24, 2024

We watch him put his life in perspective and make bold choices as he faces the reality of dying. Sad and beautiful story.

Reply

Harry Stuart
16:23 Jun 24, 2024

Interesting that you point out his bold decision-making when confronted with his mortality. One of the most rewarding aspects of writing for me is creating these characters and seeing how they connect with readers. Let’s hope he makes the best choices until the end. Thanks so much, Karen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Lueck
11:31 Jun 24, 2024

Wow, this was captivating. I could picture the story the whole time. It's true that we don't always appreciate what we have until we realize how fragile and fleeting it is. I'm curious to know if Richard will, indeed, break the news to his family. If so, what will he say?

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:57 Jun 24, 2024

Ahhhh, the pivotal question that only Richard can answer. 😊 Thank you very much for reading!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:36 Jun 24, 2024

Ouch right in the feels with this one but beautifully done albeit heartbreaking. Just caught up on your Kiss of Judas story too and that was incredible stuff. Fan here looking forward to reading more from you harry!

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:48 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you! I am a fan of yours as well, Derrick. Your stories are some of the very best on this site. Appreciate you reading both stories, and there will be more to come!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
03:19 Jun 24, 2024

Carpe Diem. It often takes a significant life altering event to get me to remember that the screens, commute and day to day struggle to meet the next deadline is -not- what life is about. For Richard it was a cancer diagnosis. Im glad he was able to re-focus his priorities and win the real 'lottery ticket' of health and family. Thanks!

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:43 Jun 24, 2024

Well said, Marty! I like that - the lottery ticket of health and family. Thank you very much for reading…means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah W
20:22 Jun 23, 2024

This is heartbreaking and written beautifully.

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:26 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you, Sarah, for those kind words. I’ll be sure to check out your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:51 Jun 23, 2024

Started reading this the other day I think but got interrupted. Bittersweet. Went to funeral of our pastors wife yesterday. She was fine five months ago then diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer. Thought they beat it then came back with vengeance. There is nothing like a celebration of life for one who falls asleep in the Lord. Reminds one of where your true hope and joy comes from.

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:23 Jun 24, 2024

Always great to get your feedback, Mary. I am very sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. I lost my younger brother to cancer, and it has been an emotional journey. I am reminded daily to keep the important things front and center. Thank you for reading and commenting!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:32 Jul 06, 2024

Sorry to hear about your brother. Glad you liked my 'Much Ado About Nothing'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristy Schnabel
16:12 Jun 23, 2024

Hi Harry, This is quite a story! Here's my favorite line: "In his concentrated focus, Richard hadn’t felt the presence of his bench companion, and he was jarred back into the present by her question, a soft utterance, 'You’re trying to find the perfect thing to bargain, aren’t you?'" You take your readers on an emotional roller coaster. Well done! ~Kristy

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:17 Jun 24, 2024

Hi Kristy! It’s always fun to hear of people’s favorite lines. Very appreciative of you reading and sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
12:27 Jun 23, 2024

This was a gripping story, Harry. Great build up and you handled the enormity of what the MC well. Great ending too.

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:30 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you, Helen - means a lot that you read it! Happy to hear that it drew you in and that the ending was satisfying. Congrats on your recent shortlist!

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:46 Jun 23, 2024

Thanks Harry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trisha Lee
05:04 Jun 23, 2024

A really powerful piece - beautifully written. I loved the way he tried to bargain away his fate. The things he promised. Very bitter sweet x

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:26 Jun 23, 2024

Thanks, Trisha, for your insights! I imagine that might be the natural inclination to try to barter a different outcome, and Richard's desperate pleas led him to an understanding. Again, very appreciative of you taking the time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Caruso
04:22 Jun 23, 2024

Had my attention from start to finish. Beautifully written. I appreciate 'where' it ended...I feel like by withholding what he ultimately chose, made the emotional journey you took us through even more meaningful.

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:21 Jun 23, 2024

I'm so glad to receive your feedback, Michelle! I know sometimes ambiguous endings can be frustrating for readers, but in this instance, it felt right. It's nice to hear that it was a meaningful read -- thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:55 Jun 23, 2024

Beautifully written. A heartrending story, with heart. I hope whatever he says next, it includes the two-week holiday and they all think it's a good idea. So fits the prompt. Probably could have also fitted the prompt about coming to terms.

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:20 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you, Kaitlyn! I wonder myself what Richard said next - there are so many possibilities. Appreciative of your very kind feedback. I always say that I strive to write stories that have a soul, but I think in this case, you might be right -- this one has heart. Let's hope that we are all cognizant of recognizing the important things in life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Milly Orie
03:23 Jun 23, 2024

I really enjoyed reading this story. It was sort of a rollercoaster of despair, hope, and then bitter sweetness-all the feels. Thank you for writing it.

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:14 Jun 23, 2024

Your comments make it all the more worthwhile for having written it, Milly! I'm glad you enjoyed Richard's rollercoaster ride 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.