Naked truth: Here is the mansion of glory killers

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Coming of Age

I should have been in this personal platform for months now, nothing cripples good luck, blessings and destiny like self doubt, procrastination and fear. For sure, there are all enemies of positive change and progress.

Even reading most of the advice that the so call Gurus gives in some platforms were nothing but heading down ward to your ruins. Yes, I say it with authority, some of these self made gurus are destructive agents that have led many to their ruin. 

They make you to start doubting yourself, 

Point you toward wrong choices and blame you for that,

They are agents of procrastination and hasty wrong choices,

Makes you to become totally confusion on what and where you are heading to.

One baffling thing is that the platforms that grade fakes like that as top writers claims to be ignorant of the damage those fakes inflicts.

This platform I am in now is where my faith is in my own hands, not in another person his intentions, manner of speech and advice were always tailored towards positioning you to sell something to you then or later thereby, creating, supervising and maintaining doubt in you till you handover your money to them.

They keep you in perpetual darkness to retain your trust and always finding fault they would never help you remedy unless you upgrade.

One funny thing about those platform runners is that they are agents of gospel of “ given before expecting” this is theory I always encounter in those clapping platforms. 

Their general advice always go this way:

You learn,

You practice,

Then you teach.

Before that their lecture will come to an end, they advice you to buy one thing or register in something for your own good. Their advice we suckers were always to give away 99 percent of whatever it was you have and monetize 1 percent. Imagine the nonsense, not even to give away 50 percent and monetize 50. To them, if you don’t, the god of harvest wouldn’t be happy with you and once she turns her face away from you, to face you again might takes decades. So, they use subtle threat and blackmail to elicits compliance clap from you.

To be sincere, paying attention to people like that amounts to living the persons life as yours. What most teach, they never lived or experienced. When confronted, their defense were always that they spent years in school learning it as if theory and practical wakes up from the same bed.

Well, my name is Philip, I have been reading newspapers and Novels since my secondary days and jotting some points down, I have even entered into competitions organized by some corporates organizations without any success. My point is: if writing, coping, jotting and recording things for year’s makes one a copywriter, in that case, I am qualified to be labeled a copywriter. 

I tell you a little personal story to aid your comprehension, I came back from abroad last year, I was trying to bring attention of the government to humane practice I witnessed from my host, so, I wrote them down and in the course of going to café to type them, writing has started again unintentionally.

By going to those cafes, I stumbled upon sites that conducts weekly writing competitions on short stories and I said to myself, ‘ why not make a scalable income from those sites, I decided to try one or two of the sites for some months and some months are heading to a years now. I needed to test my perseverance quotients. 

 Can I endure?.

Well, it is almost a year now since I started entering into those competitions, it seems that my perseverance spirit is still wide awake and kicking. On the course of writing those short stories, I stumbled upon yet upon another platform that focuses on articles and news. This one is not based on judges you don’t see or know their names, but on your fellow clappers or hustlers. Yes, your faith is in your fellow clappers and a machine known as algorithm that serves as quasi-judge. If this machine considers your work worthy of its attention, it would curate your work and the more number of reader that go through your work, the more money you generate. 

Those brain washers we talked about earlier that refers to themselves as gurus said about this machine call algorithm that the tricks were for you to entice that machine first before the platform owners. They claimed to have knowledge of how to dupe this machine into obeying you if you will buy one book they call EBook and read their articles and in the article, they would advice you not to forget to clap after reading their articles. Imagine, they first:

Played on your weakness, then tell you to book and finally clap for their articles. If this guys were not con guys, what are they?.

All these brainwashing just for algorithm to be happy with my articles and them distributing to humans who in turn would make their own choice of my work. 

I continued to write and distribute my work, algorithm or not. I am of the opinion that the machine and human are one and the same. They follow order given to them by humans. 

Judging from my experience in the short story writing platforms, I never heard of algorithm operating there only humans. It seems to me that the machine were even civilized than humans in terms of minding their business.

Check out my reasons:

*If they want to curate your work, they do it and mind their business.

*They don’t know you and you don’t know them.

*They cabbage out what they were programmed to cabbage out.

*Your privacy is your, no one is violating it.

But these human judges at times they become too personal and start accusing you directly and indirectly of plagiarism they can’t not prove because they are hearing voices in their heads.

At times, tampering with your works, laying traps and digging holes they themselves will fall inside. Only months in some human judging platforms, I weighed the pros and cons of the machine and human judgments and satisfaction and progress the writers drives from both, I concluded that machine is some how better than humans.

I was forced to focus on other writers work to know what brought about this unnecessary attention, I found out that even though most people work is better than mine, mine is equally not the worst to warrant the attention and tampering. One reader they March my work with were commenting on my work:

“ I don’t understand what you are writing, the lack of punctuations especially quotation marks made your work difficult to read” he complained.

“ I am surprise too, I am sure all those quotation marks were there, what really happened, I don’t know”

“I understand your confusion, when you upload your work to the site, format it again before hitting publish button”

It wasn’t easy, I took my time to analyze my situations and came out with tactical steps to tackle my shortcomings:

*I redefined my priorities: After taking stock of my actions for the past six months, I realised that diversification don’t favour my course. To eliminate the doubt and suspicion, I decided to put my eggs in one basket. 

*War like action: writing is business and business is war. Bearing this in mind, I decided to stop treating my writing as hobby but with more seriousness it deserves.

*Motivation: I was motivated by few comments I received by my leaders and knew that more good news is on the way. Their comments were more rewarding than the advice the Internet gurus were jabbering.

 *I equally realised that in writing, consistency is the key. To maintain your audience, you need to be consistent. 

In this my somehow personalized platform I am in now, if I follow the knowledge I have garnered so far, heaven is my limited then. Here, I am the master of my d, destiny not algorithms or humans.

April 10, 2021 08:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.