The Rich and the Dead

Submitted into Contest #119 in response to: Start your story with an unusual sound being heard.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Crime Creative Nonfiction

There was a sound from the attic next door. It was an indescribably unusual sound. I stared at the neighbor’s door. I heard the sound again. It was a loud sound. So I tip-toed to the door, not fast, but steadily.


AAAW, Bang, Bang, AAAW . . . aaaw . . . u. Then I heard no more noise.


5 minutes later I see a big box of ice and a man walk out the house. He was wearing skinny jeans, Adidas socks, and an Adidas shirt. On top of that he had a coat, it was a fancy coat with gold stripes but rain proof. It was an old looking leather coat, with modern technology; they waterproofed it. It looked like my best friend’s coat, but I was not sure. I do not know how he carried it. He was a strong man. I could not have carried the box of ice, not even to have saved my life. I had on underwear, ankle socks, and Ultraboost shoes. I was shivering, clacking my teeth, and I could see my breath. My hair was getting wet, my shoes got soaked, and my clothes were doused. I packed a gun, an umbrella, and got into the 2021 Ram 1500.


At that point we were in Atlanta, GA, on a Saturday. I glanced at the guy in the other car. Their phone's directions were going to Little Tybee, GA. I went the opposite way to Tybee. I took the back roads, he took the highway. The back roads were bumpy, irregular, uneven, potholed, pitted, lumpy, stony, and rocky. I was getting very sick. I had a headache. Not only were the roads horrible but they started getting dusty. Now I snot was coming out of my nose and my head was bulging. I tried to put it on the air recirculation but dust was still coming through. I was also messing up my new shiny truck. I guess trucks are supposed to get dirty.


On the way I saw an electronic billboard that said there is a $25,000 dollar reward (un-taxed!!!) if you find the guy with a 30078W license plate.


When I arrived at Little Tybee, Savannah, GA. I saw a guy, it was the same guy. The guy had changed clothes. He was in a swimming suit when the sky ‘came orange, bright, and yellow. It was the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen and 83 degrees Fahrenheit in Little Tybee, GA. That was a huge change from the weather in Atlanta, GA His swim suit was jet black, with yellow and orange stripes.


I do not know why he had stripes on his shirt if he did not want to be caught.


He got out of the car with a human sized box of ice. The box was clear and he pulled it out with ease. I still wonder how people can be that strong. He goes to the ocean and dumps the ice in the ocean. Then I see blood, blood pulling out of a source; it was like an ocean of blood. “It is a human”, I say. I called a police officer. They came on their way. Once he saw the police he quietly got in the ocean and swam away. The police and I saw the body. I say, “ That looks like it could be my best friend.” We picked him out of the water into the boat.


The motor went bump … bump … chchchchchch and the boat went to a stop. The police officers started cursing and complaning because they were on call. So I jumped into the ocean and got him from behind. I do not even know how I got a man so strong. He cursed me out for a solid 25 seconds. I got so mad, and when I mad people get hurt, and I am never mad. He could barely move after what I did to the person. A police officer threw me a rope and I pulled him to the boat. The police found a gas container in the boat. I almost cursed the police officers too. My shoes were wet, while 25,000 dollars were being added to my name. I guess I should be happy. Then I kicked the guy in the gut hard while punching him in the face.


It looked like I was a black belt in Israel, even the police officers thought I took Krav Maga.


I mumbled to him Fu*k you criminal.


We put handcuffs on him and went back to shore.


Luckily I had new clothes in my car other than underwear and socks, sadly no shoes, so my shoes were wet.


We looked in the suspects car. I saw the owner of the coat; I started weeping, and weeping, and weeping.


I was a single child, an orphan with no family; so I was devastated when my best friend died. My best friend was also an orphan but they became a millionaire. He was so much smarter than me.


When we walked farther to sit down, there was the MSNBC news crew there. I told them what happened. Now it was 103 degrees Fahrenheit and 12:30 in the afternoon. It was scorching out there.


Ev’rybody was complaining ‘bout the heat.


A guy came in and gave me a flight to D.C. from the Airport in Savannah. The weather was so nice in The District of Columbia. It was 81 degrees for the high, and 68 for the low. The next day I got the President’s Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service Award and $25,000 (un-taxed!!!).


I was crying on stage because of my friend’s death. The president was very nice; I even had a 3 hour conversation with him. After I met the president I went back to Atlanta. I turned on the news; the criminal got the death sentence. 


The very next day, someone came to my door and told me to go to a huge government building. It was nice and fancy. When I walked in people talked to me then I was handed a check. It had my best friend's name on it.


It was for $907,977,162.96.


I know he masked his riches, but no one thought he was almost a billionaire. Plus I got their house, and 78 Amazon stocks, and 67 apple stocks, and 18 Zoom stocks. That was the best 2 day of my life, and the worst 2 days of my life. Now I live in a 8 bedroom home in New York and have 7 other houses; 3 in GA, one CA, one London, Main Tybee Island, The District of Columbia.


My friend was the nicest guy. I met him in foster care. We got adopted by the same mom. We went to church every morning together. I feel so bad whenever I think about my brother. He did not even know Zoom stock could get so high. Now I am worth 9.78 billion and a national hero when my poor friend really deserved it all and more.

November 10, 2021 14:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.