56 comments

American Crime Mystery

Murder at Kasserine Pass

The Bou Chebka road, deep inside the Kasserine Pass, narrowed to little more than a camel track along a dry riverbed and steep cliffs. Rooted in the pale sand, a grove of palm trees jutted out from the ground as if thrown down and forgotten long ago. The remnants of the US 26th Regimental Combat team used the shade of the palm trees to dig their foxholes. Covered in sand and blisters, men hacked until the exposed roots of the palm trees aggravated their progress. Collapsing exhausted, they lay where they fell, swollen tongues aching for water. Lieutenant Meyers walked among his men giving words of encouragement and promised water would arrive when teams returned from Ain Bou Dries up the road. As an officer, he thanked and encouraged his men for their hard fight against the Germans. He hoped fresh troops, supplies, and ammunition would arrive by the next morning, but he couldn’t make promises.

Around two in the morning a mule train arrived with water and Lieutenant Meyers saw every man drank his fill. Some even vomited after they drank too greedily. Others, familiar with working in the heat, sipped slowly and intentionally. Lieutenant Meyers lay down in a foxhole as exhausted as the rest and drifted off to sleep.

At 04:30 Sergeant Thickett woke the lieutenant for him to walk rounds once again. Walking from foxhole to foxhole, he leaned over and checked his men. In the dim light, low in the eastern sky, his outline became visible among the tall palm trees. Approximately 05:00 a single shot rang out far to the left of his position, Lieutenant Meyers clutched his chest and dropped to the ground. Confused men roused by the shot began returning fire into the vast empty valley in front of them, thinking they were under attack. Less than a minute later the firing stopped, and the medics pronounced Lieutenant Meyers dead.

Captain William’s Task Force Welvert.

February 21st, 1943. 

Criminal Investigations Division North Africa.

I surveyed the ground where Lieutenant Meyers lay after he’d been shot. It’s possible a sniper took advantage of the early morning light, but further examination of the body suggests the shot came from much closer. The bullet struck the lieutenant on the upper left side of his chest. Damage to the heart and lungs, terminal. Some witnesses report hearing one shot while others heard two or three. The additional shots could have been an echo or edgy trigger fingers. As reported to me; everyone began firing into the valley below. Firing stopped in less than a minute. No further casualties. Witnesses report the shot sounded nearest the last foxhole in the line manned by Staff Sergeant Culver Anderson, Private First Class Andrew Taylor, and Private Jacob Clark. Interviews to follow. 

Suspect; Staff Sergeant Culver Anderson.

“Staff Sergeant Anderson, witness say they heard a gunshot this morning from your foxhole around 0500.” said Captain Williams “Did you fire that shot?” Captain Williams said challenging him.

“No sir, I heard a shot and thought the Germans were attacking, so I turned and looked around for them. I didn’t see anyone, so I jumped out of my foxhole and ran along the line and told everyone to stop firing.” Sergeant Anderson leaned forward, waving his hands in innocence. “We are already low on ammunition and we’d need it later if the Germans did attack.” he said.

“Were you aware that the shot fired killed an officer?” asked Captain Williams.

“No sir, not until the firing died down. Rumor spread it might be an officer. I found out later, just like everyone else.” Sergeant Anderson said.

“Were you alone in your foxhole Sergeant?”

“No sir, there were two men with me. Private Taylor and Private Clark. They were sleeping sir, I had the last watch.” said Sergeant Anderson.

“Are you sure neither of them were awake and slipped away? Then maybe they fired the shot?” asked the Captain.

“I’m sure of it sir, I thought the shot came from behind me and when I looked I couldn’t see anyone. It’s possible a sniper hid on the hillside next to us. The sound of the shot may have been further beyond that, but these canyons are pretty steep.”

The explanation sounded plausible, but Captain Williams still didn’t believe it came from the enemy. Captain Williams pivoted one last time and pointed a finger at Sergeant Anderson. “Sergeant Anderson, don’t play games with me. Our witness said it came from your foxhole. It had to be you, Private Taylor, or Private Clark. Which one of you did it?” 

“Sir, I don’t know who fired the shot or where it came from. All I know is, while I stood my post, I heard a shot.” Sergeant Anderson said, more agitated than before. 

Captain Williams knew men like Sergeant Anderson. These were the men who would do all they could to protect a green recruit. He knew they’d cover for the new guys who were gun-shy or over eager to shoot. The possibility of an inexperienced soldier, with an itchy trigger finger, shooting the lieutenant thinking he saw the enemy. It was possible. He knew he’d never get a confession out of this man. Men like this were a rare breed in the army.

“Sergeant Anderson, we’ve been at Bou Chebka Pass all of 18 hours. Everyone’s tired after yesterday’s fall back. We lost a lot of good men and stragglers are still coming in across the line. These things happen. People get tired or confused, and no one really knows who they’re fighting with every day. Is it possible you or a man with you, mistook the Lieutenant as an enemy soldier this morning?”

“No, Sir, I’d just met these men last night. I’d have known if anything were wrong and nothing looked out of sorts. If there were anything, I’d have told you.” said Sergeant Anderson.

“That will be all, Sergeant. You’re dismissed and I’ll be in touch if I need you. Captain Shugart is taking over your company.”

“Thank you, sir!” 

Suspect Private First Class Andrew Taylor

“Private First Class Taylor, I am Captain Williams with the CID. Do you know what the CID is?” said the Captain.

“Yes Sir, the CID is the Criminal Investigations Division of the United States Army Sir!” 

“Very good soldier. You’re young to be a PFC. You’ve done well in the Army. I expect you’ll be a corporal before long.”

“Yes Sir, I served in Junior ROTC in High School. They gave me a bump in rank when I enlisted.” said Private Taylor.

“Wow, Junior ROTC. You have the makings of an officer. Do you think you will try to be an officer someday?” asked the Captain.

“Well, geez sir, I don’t know. I’ve never thought about it much until the war started. I thought I’d have to go to college first.” said Private Taylor.

“No, of course not, son. Men of all ranks get promoted to Second Lieutenant. They’re called field promotions. Have you ever heard of those?”

“Well, yes, sir. I’ve heard of them, but I thought you needed to do something brave. I didn’t think I’ve done anything brave yet.” 

“Well, corporal. It takes a special soldier, someone with real leadership, to get promoted in the ranks. Especially to the rank of officer.” Captain Williams called him a higher rank to gage Private Taylor’s reaction.

“I’m only a Private First Class sir. I have to wait a few more months to be a corporal.”

“See, there you go. Honesty. Honesty is an outstanding trait to have as a soldier. I think we should make honesty a prime factor in the field commissioning program. Don’t you?” Said the captain.

“Well, I think so sir, I think it would be important.” said Private Taylor.

“That’s good, soldier. I’m really glad you said that and that brings me around to a question I have for you. Did you hear the gunshot this morning?” 

“Well, yes sir, I heard it.” 

“Do you know where it came from?” 

“I’m not sure I know where it came from. It sounded nearby, but I couldn’t be sure. I took the first watch and fell asleep around 2am.”

“You were sleeping? You had a rough day yesterday, and we lost a lot of good men. We lost another man this morning. What do you know about that?”

“Yes sir, it was a hard day yesterday.” Private Taylor rubbed at his eyes as if trying to block out the images. “I heard someone was shot, but I don’t know much about it. Was it a sniper, sir? That’s the rumor. Is that why I’m here this morning?” asked Private Taylor.

“Yes, corporal, I mean Private Taylor. We lost a good man this morning. Lieutenant Meyers died around 0500. The rumor is it came from a location near where you were sleeping. It’s an unfortunate way to have a vacancy, but Lieutenant Meyers died because of that shooting. Now we have a company without a lieutenant. We have a poor dead man who will never know justice. The truth will have to come out someday. If we could solve this mystery right away. Things may just fall into place for the right person. Maybe even a new Second Lieutenant could rise through the ranks? What do you think about that?” 

Private Taylor wiggled in his seat. He looked excited or uncomfortable. It was hard for the captain to tell. “Honestly sir, I woke up when the shooting started. I don’t know where the shot came from,” he said. 

“Thank you, Private. I’ll let you go and if I need anything more, can I count on you to be honest with me?” 

“Yes, Sir!”

Private Jacob Clark

“Private Clark, I am Captain Williams, the lead investigator for the Criminal Investigative Division. Witnesses say you were near the location of the shot fired this morning that killed Lieutenant Meyers. Is that correct?”

“Yes, sir, I heard the shot, it was only one shot.” said Private Clark.

“Do you know who fired the shot?” asked Captain Williams

“Sir?” said Private Clark

“The shot, did you see who fired the shot?” asked the captain.

“I remember nothing. It all happened so fast.” said the Private.

“If you knew who it is, are you aware it is a crime to withhold information about the person involved?” 

“Yes, sir”

“Are you saying you know who fired the shot?” asked the captain

“Sir, no, sir. It all happened so fast.” 

“Did you know that covering for someone is also a crime? Maybe you know who fired the shot and you just don’t want to say. It’s called being an accomplice to murder.” said the captain.

The kid looked dumbstruck. “I didn’t know that, sir. Honestly, it all happened so fast.” 

“Did you also know there is a second crime being committed by the killer if they are threatening a subordinate to covering up a murder? It’s called retribution. If, someone you know is telling you they would hurt you or kill you for telling the truth about this killing, then creating fear of retribution is a crime.”

“I didn’t know that, sir.” 

“Yes, Private Clark. It is a crime and a very serious one. We do not look kindly upon those who threaten retribution to subordinates. If you know anything you are free to tell me. I will make sure you are safe from the one threatening you, and I’ll have them removed immediately. Is there anything you’d like to tell me, soldier?”

“I’m sorry, sir. I don’t know what you mean. I was in my foxhole this morning when I heard this rifle shot, and I jumped, I don’t remember anything after that. Then everyone started shooting.” said Private Clark. The young man looked sullen and weak. He slouched in the chair, staring into the distance, a hundred miles away. 

Pacing back and forth across the tent, Captain Williams looked into the private eyes. He’d seen this before, after a fight. Unfortunately, the captain felt each man knew something he did or didn’t want to say. Confessions didn’t come easy. Captain Williams thought about a case six weeks ago where a junior enlisted and a captain fought behind a bar in Morocco. The enlisted man should have been court martialled, and the officer reprimanded. Turns out the two men knew each other from high school and they fought over a girl they both knew. Neither confessed to starting the fight, and no witnesses came forward. The answer stared him in the face, but the guys covered for each other. Captain Williams believed the same thing might happen here. He released the private and stood at the tent flap, trying to piece together everything he knew. The men on the line were all lying to him, that much he knew.

Kasserine Pass February 19, 1943

As Rommel’s 10th panzer division plowed through the defenses covering the Kasserine Pass, the 26th armoured brigade and the 26th combat team dug in along the canyons running west towards Thala Tunisia. The Americans put up stiff resistance, then withdrew. Hours of gunfire and hundreds of dead and dying littered the sand in their brutal retreat. Around 3,300 Americans were killed or wounded and over 3,000 were taken prisoner. On the southern flank, Lieutenant Meyers and the men of the 26th combat team held on as long as they could.

“Lieutenant Meyers! We need to get those men out of those holes and behind the tanks!” Yelled Sergeant Anderson.

“Sergeant Anderson! You will leave those men where they are. They are the only thing between Rommel and Algeria! Do you understand!”

“But sir! They are getting massacred out there! I just saw three men get run over in those shallow holes. They have to pull back!” 

“Sergeant Anderson, I will not tell you again! See to your men that is an order!”

As Sergeant Anderson left the lieutenant, his anger fumed. He ran towards his line and did what he could to check on his men. Those men left held out as long as they could as the Germans moved closer and closer. He knew they couldn’t hold the line. Meanwhile, Lieutenant Meyers carried armfuls of ammunition to his men until he ran out. His radio man died early in the fight, and the two men who followed already wounded. Grabbing the radio, he jumped into a crater and found a soldier lying on the ground. Two men lay beside him, already dead as this one stared into the sky.

“Soldier! Return fire!” said Lieutenant Meyers.

“I can’t sir!” The words came out in a hopeless tone. “I’m out of ammunition. We all are. That’s how they died. They just ran out, then they got shot.” The exhaustion was clear. The battle raged on and everyone fought on as best they could. “Lieutenant, what do we do?” He said pleadingly. 

“Private! What is your name?” he asked.

“Private Clark sir!” 

“Private Clark, you are now my radio man. Get this thing working and listen for orders. Do you understand, Private?” he said.

“Yes, y’sir.” he struggled to talk from lack of water. He moved slowly, but he made it to the young lieutenant’s side and grabbed the radio. No sooner than he’d picked up the handle, and he heard the words.

“I say again, pull back… pull back!” 

“Lieutenant! They ordered us to pull back!” The words came out in a half shout. 

Without hesitation, Lieutenant Meyers gave the signal for everyone to pull back. The Germans held nothing back that day. They took Kasserine Pass, and they intended to keep it. By nightfall every man, not killed or wounded, pulled back to Bou Chebka Pass. The Germans came from the east and Sergeant Anderson guided his men out of the fight. Lieutenant Meyers directed them south and along the cliff walls. By midnight, they were digging in and waiting for reinforcements.

“Private, get over here and start digging. Two men per foxhole all along this line. The rest of you follow with me.” said Sergeant Anderson. 

“Sarge! When do you think we’ll get some water?” asked a soldier.

“I’m working on it. Even if I have to take the Lieutenant’s canteen myself.”

All along the line, the remaining 110 men dug in and waited for anything that looked like help. Tank and truck noises echoed through the canyon. Everyone felt on edge.

“Sarge, what do you think happened today?” asked Private Taylor.

“We suffered a loss today, kid.” His expression, mild and disappointed. “We suffered a big loss today.” 

Sergeant Anderson kept watch as Private Taylor and Private Clark dug the foxhole. Private Clark fell silent and moved at half the speed of Private Taylor. Private Taylor nodded at the sergeant. They both looked at the young man struggling to keep sand from falling back into the hole. A look of concern and understanding crossed the sergeant’s face. Taking the shovel from Private Clark, he began digging and let the man rest. He finished the hole and told the others to get some sleep. Each man took a 2 hour watch, leaving Private Clark last. Midway through, around 0500, a shot rang out. 

“Private! What did you just do?” asked Sergeant Anderson.

“He wouldn’t let us leave. We were there all day. He had to die.” The rest of the men opened fire. Then the shooting died down. “We can’t go back. We can’t.” Tears left dusty tracks down his face. The poor boy cried.

“What do we do, Sarge?” asked Private Taylor.

“We keep our mouths shut, that’s what we do. I’ll send him back to the aid station when they get here. He’s done.”

The author created the thoughts and characters. This is a story of fiction. The events related to World War II have some factual information, but most details are from the author’s imagination.

December 01, 2020 17:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Llind Kam
05:45 Dec 08, 2020

This is one of the best stories I have read on Reedsy. It was engaging and intriguing. I liked how you shifted POVs. The part I enjoyed the most was the interrogation of the three soldiers.

Reply

05:55 Dec 08, 2020

I can’t thank you enough! I had a lot to fit into a short story and I worried it wouldn’t come out very well. Thank you so much! I hope you get a chance to check out some other stories I’ve written. I hope you like them as much. If you’d like me to read something you wrote please let me know. Robert

Reply

Llind Kam
06:02 Dec 08, 2020

I am going through your stories right now. I will leave my comments. I would be glad if you could read my stories. My latest one is "Guilty or not". But the one I like the best is " Retreat". Do let me know your opinions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
GRACE LARSON
18:14 Dec 02, 2020

Great job on this story! I loved that the story centered around a mystery - made the story an intriguing and suspenseful read the whole way through. I also like the vivid character descriptions that add depth and realism to the story while also providing a rational for how the characters act. Only a few little critiques here: In this sentence, “Staff Sergeant Anderson, witness say they heard a gunshot this morning from your foxhole around 0500,” I believe it should be 'witnesses', not 'witness'. Occaisionally the sentences can read a bit...

Reply

23:29 Dec 02, 2020

I really appreciate your help. I’m not bothered by anything critical, I’m only looking to improve. I’m glad you liked the story over all. Let me know if you have anything you’d like me to read. Robert Robert

Reply

GRACE LARSON
17:49 Dec 03, 2020

Glad I was able to help! I really do admire your writing style and I feel that you'll definitely do something amazing with it someday:) And if you wouldn't mind taking a look at really any of my stories and telling me what you think could be better about them, I would be super grateful!

Reply

20:27 Dec 03, 2020

Will do! Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Robert Grandstaff
03:39 Mar 04, 2021

Hey everyone, I’ve posted another incredible story to Reedsy. Check it out and let me know what you think. By the way, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Akshaya ✨
02:47 Dec 02, 2020

I enjoyed the suspense and mystery in your story. It was intriguing and gripping all the way! The characters were well written, with their own unique personalities. Great work!

Reply

05:30 Dec 02, 2020

So, I’ve never written a mystery story and I had a really short space to put one together. I’m pretty self conscious about this one. Was there anything that stuck out as “not well written?” I think if I had a few thousand more words I could have ended it a little better. Your opinion matters to me and I appreciate it. Robert

Reply

Akshaya ✨
05:47 Dec 02, 2020

I didn't find many errors, but maybe you could split some of the larger paragraphs into smaller ones so that the story can flow more easily? I agree with the word count thing, though. Sometimes a story needs those extra thousand words in order to be written in the best form it can be.

Reply

06:37 Dec 02, 2020

Ok, I hear you. On a google doc it doesn’t look the same. When dropped on here it takes a different form. Thanks for the idea. Robert

Reply

Akshaya ✨
06:43 Dec 02, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
17:52 Dec 16, 2020

Great story! Very interesting to read. Sorry, it took me so long to get back to this.

Reply

22:39 Dec 16, 2020

No worries I’m glad you liked it. Would you change anything? Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
22:55 Dec 02, 2020

I actually really liked it as it is. I'm not that much into descriptions myself, so I enjoyed the fact that most of it was dialogue, which I though was written very well. The interrogation interviews were as if taken from a crime tv show or movie, and taking us back to what actually happened in the end is the classical way to resolve it. I agree that the story could use a bit of polishing, but not that much as you do know your army stuff. Just keep on following the old advice and "write about what you know", you're doing great! The no...

Reply

23:48 Dec 02, 2020

Thank you, I think I’ll do a rewrite someday. I feel the story should be longer in order to get better details, more information, and end it better. Good point about Historical Fiction. I hadn’t thought about it like that but I’m an American. It’s a default setting. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hallie Blatz
19:42 Dec 02, 2020

I think my favourite part of the story was the different interrogation techniques used by Captain Williams! I was a little confused a few times, when Captain Williams was introduced it was in first person but then switched to third for the rest of the story, and when it changes to sergeant Anderson’s POV I didn’t realize it was going back to the previous day. I really liked the different characters though, and the conclusion was great! I think you developed the mystery very well, there weren’t many “clues” but switching perspectives to th...

Reply

23:37 Dec 02, 2020

Good point, I didn’t realize when I was working on it I switched between POV so often. I’ll revise this and look at it again. Thanks for pointing this out. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
00:50 Oct 24, 2021

I was browsing Reedsy when the title sparked my interest, mainly because my father was in the 8th Army pushing Rommel towards the pass. I loved the way you set the scene in the first two paragraphs. Maybe because I am familiar North Africa campaign, but I could see it all in my minds eye. Very well done.

Reply

13:16 Oct 25, 2021

Thank you, I did some research on the area and looked at some photos to help me describe what I wanted to show the readers. I appreciate your comments. I like the WWII era stories and I’ve written others. I hope you get a chance to read “December 6 1941.” It’s the day before Pearl Harbor gets attacked. I think you might like it. Robert

Reply

Michael Regan
16:25 Oct 25, 2021

I just read “December 6 1941”. I liked the idea that the reader knows more than the characters. It gives that sense of foreboding right from the start. I am new to writing. My first story Reedsy, 'Irrawaddy' , was on the Chindits in Burma. It was, in my opinion, a good start. I am thinking of doing a sequel since I left the characters in the middle of the jungle.

Reply

04:23 Apr 01, 2022

I like it. Yeah, if you've left your readers with a cliffhanger you might want to resolve the scene and then do it all over again. It's kinda my thing. Thank you for getting the point of December 6th, some people don't get the significance. There's a story could carry over with the same two boys from December 6th as the characters in Murder at Kasserine Pass. It's just a later time in their lives. It might be worth a rewrite. I have a spy story where the main character parachutes into northern Italy and goes on a mission up to Austria. I...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
22:50 Dec 07, 2020

really like how you have made it as a war story! Amazing

Reply

23:05 Dec 07, 2020

Thank you! I had several different endings in mind but I liked this one. Robert

Reply

Lucas Zhou
23:17 Dec 07, 2020

ik! it worked fabulous

Reply

23:30 Dec 07, 2020

Thanks again! Check out a few other stories and let me know what you think. Robert

Reply

Lucas Zhou
00:30 Dec 08, 2020

kk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam W
21:06 Dec 05, 2020

Excellently done, Robert, from the sequence of scenes down to the interrogator‘s tactics. This is definitely going on my list. I would only suggest that the interrogation titles(names of the suspects) be underlined. Enjoyed the read! PS. Think you could drop a comment on one of my recent entries?

Reply

Robert Grandstaff
03:41 Mar 04, 2021

Hey everyone, I’ve posted another incredible story to Reedsy. Check it out and let me know what you think. By the way, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy DeMatt
00:00 Dec 04, 2020

Wow, tense. Good job with this, Robert!

Reply

01:26 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you! It’s my first mystery. I hope to do better next time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Grandstaff
03:40 Mar 04, 2021

Hey everyone, I’ve posted another incredible story to Reedsy. Check it out and let me know what you think. By the way, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Megan Sutherland
11:46 Dec 02, 2020

Hey, Robert! I just saw your comment, and I had five minutes, so I decided to come check this out. I really liked this! I think it's cool that you wrote a story with little bits and pieces from your own life- in this case, writing about the army. I said this before when I first met you- thank you so much for your service. Okay! On the story. (I hope you're not offended by this, I'm just trying to be honest.) I don't think that there was a heck of a lot that I can criticize here, but the one thing that caught my eye is that you're using...

Reply

15:07 Dec 02, 2020

Not offended at all. Thanks for your thoughts. I might have split this story into two parts and made it a little more intriguing. I will take your advice and run with it. When you read it did it sound like a mystery story or just a story wandering around with no point? Robert

Reply

Megan Sutherland
21:14 Dec 02, 2020

If you want my honest opinion, I would say it is a little bit of both. I feel like there were some points that didn't run very smoothly and some that really made you think. I think that all writers have different genres that they have less strength in... For example, most of my writing is fantasy or realistic fiction. I don't do well reading or writing nonfiction or history books. I think that I could work on those, and maybe mystery just isn't one of your core strengths yet.

Reply

23:42 Dec 02, 2020

That helps, I’m going to work with what I like and practice with mystery stories on and off. I appreciate your help. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pika Okoye
09:34 Feb 17, 2021

Woah.....ending is great and the genres suits the title too..............I loved the story overall. Great work on this piece, Robert👍 Would you like to read my newest story?😊

Reply

23:22 Feb 17, 2021

Well, thank you! I really enjoyed this and I’ve had a few suggestions to link it to a previous story I’ve written. Sounds like an easy modification for a rewrite. I’m looking forward to to it. Keep in touch! I’ll read your new story next. Robert

Reply

Pika Okoye
09:04 Feb 18, 2021

Yeah of course☺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:37 Jan 03, 2021

I have just begun reading your stories and I enjoy them all very much so far. I am always interested in historical fiction, especially WW2. Would you mind looking at my most recent story (titled Concentration) and giving feedback on it? Thanks! Ana

Reply

18:07 Jan 04, 2021

Anytime, I appreciate your taking the time to read my stories. I’ll read yours next and get back to you. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. I’m working on a series where the main character lives through some of the more interesting times in history. I think you might like it. Let me know. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:08 Jan 04, 2021

Anytime, I appreciate your taking the time to read my stories. I’ll read yours next and get back to you. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. I’m working on a series where the main character lives through some of the more interesting times in history. I think you might like it. Let me know. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Judith Buskohl
00:14 Dec 12, 2020

I love to read mystery story such as yours. I read it to the twisting end to the story and I just want to say Keep up the good work on your story.

Reply

02:12 Dec 12, 2020

Well I glad you liked it. I’ll have to try another one sometime. It’s my first time writing a mystery. I had some other ideas but tried to cut it down to the allowable amount. Keep watching and I’ll submit something new soon. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Grandstaff
03:45 Mar 04, 2021

Hey everyone, I’ve posted another incredible story to Reedsy. Check it out and let me know what you think. By the way, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
John Del Rio
03:44 Dec 08, 2020

i enjoyed it. well written as all of your offerings are. i thought it would have been cool if 2 of the soldiers in the story were Alex and John from your earlier story :Dec 6, 1941 the interrogation format was well done and i look forward to reading more of your work. i did kind of think that Private Clark should have shot him earlier during the actual trauma of battle; but then i guess it wouldn't be a mystery. it was a classic "frag" em story.

Reply

05:31 Dec 08, 2020

You are a genius, I hadn’t thought about it using the characters from that story here. I’m considering a rewrite of this so I’ll take your advice. Thanks again for the compliment. How are you doing? Have you written anything recently? Robert

Reply

John Del Rio
05:55 Dec 08, 2020

i'm doing well during this holiday season. the two young men could be in the foxhole and i don't know which one would have fragged the Lt. : maybe the Sgt would do it. i will have to wait and see if you do the rewrite. i think it is great the way it is.

Reply

05:59 Dec 08, 2020

The thought had crossed my mind to leave the murder undiscovered until a part 2. I wanted to lead people in a few different directions but only one made sense. It would make the story stretch longer than I wanted to go but I have it for a future project. Maybe I’ll do a rewrite and send it directly to you for your advice. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
05:56 Dec 08, 2020

i have a few ideas for this week's prompts. i will try to submit at least one story this week.

Reply

06:00 Dec 08, 2020

Cool let me know! Robert

Reply

John Del Rio
07:05 Dec 08, 2020

I am writing one about someone trying to recreate a family recipe from memory. It involves the post apocalyptic couple...Babe and My Love..though you did learn his name in the last story I did about them -Not just another day-

Reply

16:21 Dec 08, 2020

Cool, I'm looking forward to it. I like post apocalyptic stories. Let me know. Robert

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
06:38 Dec 11, 2020

I submitted a second story..i used the prompt about the secret ingredient being taken from a bakery..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.