Riddle of the Sphinx

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about a person who collects superhero comics.... view prompt

19 comments

Drama

A thing there is whose voice is one; / Whose feet are four and two and three.


Four feet. A baby crawls over to his father reading a newspaper at the breakfast table. He pulls at his father’s pants leg. The father picks him up, while folding the newspaper open to the funny pages. Blocks of color. Jumbles of words. 

The baby points at the newspaper, knowing that his father has the power to make the mysterious characters come alive.  

“Well! Here comes ol’ Charlie Brown! Good ol’ Charlie Brown . . . Yes, sir! How I hate him!” his father reads each panel in a funny voice, overemphasizing each word. Then his father laughs. The baby laughs and places his chubby hands on either side of his father’s face. They stare at each other in delight.  

Ten years later, the baby has become an awkward boy who can bike himself down to the Varsity Thrift Shop to spend his allowance. He skids his red Schwinn Deluxe Racer to a stop and hops off before the back tire quits spinning. He leans the bike against the painted brick exterior of the small storefront, and he feels everyone on the street staring at him. Yes, his hands and feet appear larger than they should be, but his mother assures him that the rest of his body will soon catch up. In truth, the boy is trying to completely ignore his traitorous body since it seems so much greasier and dirtier and hairier these days. 

 The boy opens the thrift shop door to the tinkling of bells and calls out, “Hi, Mr. Chapman!” The greeting is returned from somewhere far in the back of the shop, as Mr. Chapman is usually opening, sorting through, packing, or unpacking various cardboard boxes.

“What are you looking for today?” Mr. Chapman cheerily queries, while emerging with the latest edition of Mad Magazine to put on the shelves. “How about The Brave and the Bold?” 

“Nah,” the boy’s voice cracks into a honk. His mother says that is normal these days, for him to squawk like a goose when he talks sometimes. His larynx is growing. It isn’t his fault. “You got any Tarzan or Prince Valiant?” 

“You still looking for anything by Hal Foster?” laughs Mr. Chapman. “I’ll have to look in the storeroom.”

“My dad likes him,” the boy smiles, thumbing the new issues of the Justice League and Fantastic Four. 


Two feet. Ten years later, the boy has grown into a young man. During his freshman year at college, his father arrives to bail him out of jail when the young man gets drunk and shoots out all the street lights in town. Where the money comes from to pay for the lawyer and to pay off the judge never occurs to him. 

During his junior year, the young man is certain he impregnates a girl he no longer cares for. His father listens to him on the telephone while the young man complains of how unfair it all is. When he is done feeling sorry for himself, his father simply offers him his quiet, sagacious wisdom, calm and reasonable as the gods. In short order, the young man discovers the girl has lied about the pregnancy after all, just as his father suspected.

At home on break between college semesters, the young man and his father discuss their political opinions while reading the latest Doonesbury cartoon together. When the young man attempts to discuss the counterculture movement and drugs and Watergate and sexuality, his father gives him a forum to express his opinions. His mother cannot possibly understand what he feels; instead, she sticks to her Bible and wonders why women want to wear pantsuits all of a sudden. 

Newly graduated from college, still dressed in a billowing black gown, the young man descends the stairs with diploma in hand to find the one person he wants to embrace. 

His father is both smiling and crying. 

His mother does not tell him until much later that his father had taken a second job to pay for his college tuition. The night after graduation, the young man arrives home after celebrating with his friends. Inebriated, the young man interrupts his father watching Bonanza, places his two hands on either side of his father’s face, and tries to adequately express his gratitude. The father pats his son on the back, a simple act endowing the young man with all of the paternal blessings he can offer. 


Three feet. Ten years later, the young man has married and is a father to his own children. His mother has died and his father, now a tragic hero, painstakingly walks with a cane. His father’s hearing is not good, and the man occasionally becomes frustrated with the old man, making him have to repeat himself more loudly and more slowly. 

The man has sparkly pink daughters who climb on his lap to laugh at the cows in The Far Side and chuckle at the tiger’s antics in Calvin and Hobbes. Ever since the new baby is born, he and his wife argue over Bloom County, since another decade has upended the culture wars and the comics take full advantage of the chaos. Almost immediately after he and his wife read Berkeley Breathed’s panels, he wonders what really keeps his marriage together since they fundamentally disagree on almost everything—especially the number of children they will have. Did his own father feel the same way about his mother? Did he wonder if their children, the ties that bind, were enough for them to stay together? Did he excessively worry about the direction society was heading or how he was going to pay for his family’s endless needs? Did he think he was failing as a man, a father, a son? 

The man wants to ask his father these among many other things while they wait for doctor appointments and pharmacy prescriptions. But the man does not want to burden his father, only flawed by the curse of all men: old age. 

“Should we look at the Sunday comics today?” his father asks, while the man holding a baby picks up a few necessities at the grocery store. The old man taps his way over to the meager stand displaying the few newspapers still in print. He sits to read. 

“Well, dad,” his son says, jostling plastic shopping bags while attempting to calm a fussy baby. “What’s in the funny pages today?”

“You know, I like this Zits comic strip. Jeremy reminds me of you,” his father remarks with a mischievous look in his eye. The old man passes his cane to his son to hold while he flips through the newsprint pages. Blocks of color. Jumbles of words. “. . . and Jeremy’s father says, And that’s my advice on flossing!” They both laugh. “Oh, boy. That’s a good one. I think this is my favorite comic strip.”

“I thought you still liked The Family Circus,” his son counters.

“Please. No one likes The Family Circus. Especially Jeffy. He’s an arrogant little brat,” his father wryly observes. “Besides, I always thought Bil Keane sugar-coated things far too much. Big people just take care of little people,” the old man says, tickling his granddaughter’s tiny foot. The baby coos and snuggles more deeply into her father’s arms. 

“It’s all the same, I guess,” the man says. 

“Yes, it’s all the same,” his father says philosophically, refolding the newspaper, putting it back on the rack, and reaching out for his son to help him stand. 

Holding his baby girl who just recently learned to crawl, a man steadies his aged father by handing him his cane.


June 28, 2020 16:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

21:31 Aug 29, 2020

DEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am shouting at you😁😁😁 Because you have just dropped (or dropped a few months back), ANOTHER ONE!! This was GREAT DEI!!! I loved the relationship between the far and the son, I loved the gradually of tje story, the concept, the idea, the ENDING😭😭 That was my BEST part😍 It was emotional and warm. I . Loved. This. 😋

Reply

22:59 Aug 29, 2020

CHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am shouting back at you, Nigerian Queen. Thanks for digging through the oldies. Always fun to write for you :)

Reply

23:19 Aug 29, 2020

And always fun to sit back and enjoy myself reading them😊💛

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Len Mooring
03:37 Aug 19, 2020

Excellent as usual. From your stories, I see you as a bird gliding above and looking at Mankind and having matured to not be unduly disturbed by its antics.

Reply

09:27 Aug 19, 2020

No, just a aging bipolar flamingo 🦩 living in the idiotic state of Florida.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:32 Aug 29, 2020

P.S. Dei, I just submitted another story, "Nut Judge", would you please check it out and give feedback?😋😁 Thanks!!!

Reply

23:00 Aug 29, 2020

I READING IT :)

Reply

23:20 Aug 29, 2020

😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Edwards
20:57 Jul 09, 2020

I loved the way the story flowed through the years. As I grew up without any comics I cannot comment on the selection you mention but you seem au fair with a goodly selection and an unusual means of connecting the different generations. Great story, well done.

Reply

21:53 Jul 09, 2020

Thanks, Felicity! I appreciate your kind remarks. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
OPHOKE LEONARD
07:18 Jul 09, 2020

I love your story especially the parenting love well displayed. However, maybe it's how you want it, but note the following; there are sensitive language and inappropriate colloquialism in your work. more so, it slightly went off and some words miss determinants like "a". Kindly re-edit your work again. Otherwise, I must apply that it was well crafted.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nandan Prasad
05:11 Jul 08, 2020

Wow, this story is really good! The ending is so sweet and heartwarming and touching. The number of feet addition pays off. Perfect story! Also, would you mind checking out my story if it's not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

13:36 Jul 08, 2020

Thanks for your kind words! I look forward to reading your work. All the best ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:03 Jul 01, 2020

Lovely story

Reply

19:07 Jul 01, 2020

Thank you, Catherine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
17:48 Jul 01, 2020

I love a warm and vivid retelling of a classic story. And you mentioned all my favorite comics (except for the Family Circus, of course).

Reply

18:08 Jul 01, 2020

Hooray -- and thanks for the vote of confidence, John K Adams! I think we can both agree that anyone who likes The Family Circus is entirely suspect.

Reply

John K Adams
21:27 Jul 01, 2020

I don't know if it is still available but some years ago, my son shared 'The Nietzsche Family Circus' with me. It used quotations from Frederick Nietzsche as the captions to the 'Family Circus'. The combination was hilarious.

Reply

22:41 Jul 01, 2020

The Nietzsche Family Circus is truly perfect. On so many levels. I must find a copy...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.