2 comments

Thriller

 1,065 words The Strange Neighbours 1

“I thought I would come bring you some cookies to welcome you to our neighbourhood.” Viola smiled, as she passed the dish of cookies to them.

The couple act confused and only stared at the cookies before reaching out to take them.

Viola held her smile not knowing what to think. She continued staring, waiting to see if they would take them and thank her. When they did, their voices didn’t sound right. It surprised her so much she quickly left without a welcome and went home. When she got home and got in the door her husband Clay asked, “What’s wrong with you, Viola?”

“Clay, our new neighbours aren’t right.”

“What on earth do you mean?”

“Well, when I passed them the cookies they just stared at them before they took them, but it’s when they thanked me they didn’t sound normal.”

“Now, you’re talking crazy. Not everyone speaks alike.” Clay told her.

“Then you go over.”

“What reason would I have to go over there?”

“Just tell them you’ve come to welcome them to the neighbourhood and invite them over.”

“I suppose I could do that.”

When Clay knocked on the new neighbour’s door it took them a while to answer it. When the door opened the man never smiled nor gave any impression he was glad to see him.

Two hours went by and Clay hadn’t come home and Viola started to worry. She kept looking out the window.

“What is keeping him?” Should I go over to see what is going on? She thought, not knowing what to do.

When she got to the door she knocked a few times and then called for the last time, “Is anyone home?

When she got home she called her friend Grace who lived next door to her.

“Grace there is something strange about our new neighbours.”

“I’ve been hearing the same thing. No one can understand why they act strange when you meet them and have such strange voices. There is something wrong but how do you find out for sure?”

“I find they sound so inhumen.” Viola stressed.

“That’s what everyone says.”

“I sent Clay over to welcome them to our neighbourhood and invite them over.”

“Oh, Viola do you think that was a good idea?”

“I’m not sure. Wait Grace I think I hear Clay coming. Call you later.”

After Viola hung up the phone Clay walked in.

“So, how did you make out with them, Clay? Clay, Clay speak to me.”

When he looked at her he just stared.

“What’s wrong with your eyes?”

“What..do... you.. mean?” he said, dragging his voice.

` “Clay, why is your voice changing? What’s wrong with you? Why do you sound so strange?”

Clay stared at her with no expression. He seemed cold and demonic.

“What happened to you Clay? Tell me.” Viola begged. Was it the neighbours? She thought. Did they do something to him?

Clay sat on the sofa and stared at the floor. Viola didn’t know what to do. She was so frightened she decided to call Grace.

“Hello, Grace?”

“Yes, I was just about to call you. Have you heard the news?”

“What news? I’m trying to get Clay to talk to me. Something strange happened to him and his eyes are not right and his voices sound inhuman.”

“Viola I just listened to the news and there is a warning out about new strange neighbours. They are warning everyone to stay away from them. They are dangerous.”

“What do you mean?”

“They are here to take over our world and are telling people if you go around them they will try and turn you like them.”

“Oh no, that is probably what is wrong with Clay. He’s not the same. What are they?” Viola asked in fear.

“The news says they are Aliens and have come to try to take us over. They’ve been going to every neighbourhood and trying to change people.”

“How do they do it?” Viola asked.

“They inject this fluid in them and eventually they start to chance to be like them.”

“Oh my. How can we stop this? Clay’s not right.”

“The news says that it takes from 4 to 6 hours to take effect, and the only way to fix it he has to go to the hospital and get a blood transfusion.”

“So, I better call the ambulance to come get him. I will talk later.”

“Okay, let me know how things go.”

“I will.”

It didn’t take long before the ambulance arrived.

“We’ve had many cases like this.” The paramedics told her, but the government is working on a poison to get rid of them.”

When they got to the hospital the nurse asked how long he got injected and Viola told her about 2 hours ago.

“Okay there is still hope to bring him back.”

After working on him a couple hours the nurses came and told Viola she could go  see him.

“Is he okay?”

“Yes, it was a good thing you brought him in because he would have been affected for life. There wouldn’t have been anything we could have done.”

When Viola got to Clay’s room she ran to him and held him. “Oh baby, I’m so happy you are yourself again.”

“What happened?”

“When you went over to the neighbours they injected you with an injection to change you like them. When you got home you weren’t yourself at all.” She hugged him again.

“I’m so sorry honey. I won’t go there again.”

When they got home Viola called Grace. “Hello Grace, we are home and Clay is alright now. They gave him a blood transfusion to get rid of what those things put in him.”

“I’m happy to hear that. Jim who lives up the road, just got home from the hospital because they did the same to him.”

“Oh my, that’s awful. How are they going to get rid of them?” Viola asked.

“I guess the government is getting soldiers to come and fumigate their house. It’s supposed to kill them instantly.”

“The paramedics told me the government was working on something to get rid of them and that is nice to know. I promise you I will never go to a new neighbour ever again and welcome them here.” Viola told Grace.

“Same here.” Grace promised.

September 14, 2020 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Savanah Walls
15:02 Oct 31, 2022

i love it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elle Clark
13:51 Sep 20, 2020

A cool idea - well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.