10 comments

General

I know if I look around, I will get disappointed. I heavily sighed and closed my eyes in the hope to see him.

"He will come."

I said to myself and patted my heart to slow down the fast beats.

By gathering enough courage, I looked around to see the most important person in my life. I could see couples sitting happily with popcorns, and chitchatting nicely.

My eyes wandered everywhere, and I couldn't see properly anymore since tears started to form in my eyes.

"H-He didn't come. B-But he said he will."

I sniffled my cries and tried hard not to break down now. The lights went off signaling the show was going to start.

"He will not come. You are a fool to believe him." My devil side said to me.

Maybe it was right. I never listened to her words. But today, I knew she was stating the truth.

"He lied to me, again. If he couldn't come, why did he promise me in the first place?"

After what felt like an eternity, the show was over.

I could hear chairs moving, and people moving out of the theater.

"Hey Angel, want to hang out for dinner party?"

I looked back to see my friend, Kate asked me.

I genuinely rejected her offer, and she frowned by my reply.

"Why not? Come on."

"I-I"

"Oh shit, he didn't come?" I saw her closing her mouth with her beautiful hands. I pressed my lips tightly and closed my eyes shut letting the tears fall peacefully.

"H-He will come," I whispered weakly.

"Are you crazy? The show is over Angel. Anyway, I got to go." With that, she left me alone by hurting me more.

I picked my bag, and when I was about to reach the exit, I saw Sam running towards me with a bouquet of rose flowers.

I sighed heavily and shook my head. I decided to ignore him since he didn't keep his promise.

I saw him frowning, and I could hear his pantings. His face was filled with sweat, it looked like he rushed here while running.

"Well had he come on time, he didn't have to run." I thought to myself and started to walk without giving a glance at him.

"Angel, wait." I gripped my bag tight and speeded up my walk. I halted my movement when he clutched my hand which was holding the bag tightly.

"Go away," I whispered and cursed myself for letting the tears fall in front of him.

"Angel, I-I am sorry. I know I promised, but something caught up in the middle."

"I don't need any reasons. You fooled me once again." I snatched my hands away from his hold and moved out of the exit. I could see people looking at us, but I don't give a damn about them.

"I will make it up to you, baby. Forgive me this one time. I am working hard for us to have a better life."

I stopped my movement and bored a death glance at him.

"I know Sam, you are working for us. But when will you have time for me? Do you know how I felt lonely today though I was surrounded by so many people?"

I saw him bowing his head down in shame.

"Don't look down. Because people are already looking down at me."

"Let me buy you an ice cream. Huh? How does that sound? Blackcurrent, your favorite." I shook my head in disbelief.

As if every time buying me ice cream was going to change everything.

"Come on, baby. I asked sorry."

"Sorry won't do any good Sam. Do you know how I felt when my friend's parents were busy in capturing their dance performance on their cameras? I had no one, though I was the leading dancer on the stage. This was my final school performance, and you missed it. I told you to be there."

"I know, Angel. But I tried my best to co-" I cut him off.

"That's what you are doing all these years. Trying. But never did you finish it. When will you ever have time to spend time with your daughter than doing some work?"

"I too wanted to see you performing baby. Understand me." I saw him pleading me with his puppy eyes.

"In all these fourteen years, I never had thought about my mother, because you were there for me. But today I wished she was here. Because if she was alive now, she would have come to see her daughter performing in front of the whole crew." I whispered lowly and looked at my father, whose eyes were widened by my confession.

"A-Angel?"

"I-I miss her, you know. I wish she was here. You promised me you would be there for me and mother will be proud of me."

"She and I, are proud of you baby."I hugged him tightly and let my tears fall. I don't blame my father. He was working hard for me, and I could see dark circles and eye bags. It was not so like him.

"I need you. Please, be with me." I clutched his shirt and wet his top by my tears. He rubbed my back in circles and whispered sweet words to me.

"So, ice cream?"

I chuckled and sniffled my cries when I heard him asking me again.

"Blackcurrent?" I asked still hugging him.

"Whatever my Angel wants, will get." I smiled by those words. I nodded and broke our hug to see his eyes glistening with tears.

"I am sorry that I made you feel this way, baby. But I will try to make it up to you and spend more time with you. How about a vacation trip?"

My eyes widened by his question.

"A-Are you serious?"

"I won't like to joke around you. Of course yes. Only you and me. How about that?"

"I would love that." I giggled and was flying in happiness through his words.

"I-I am sorry I told about mother. But you are the best father in the whole galaxy." I saw how his eyes brightened by my words. And I didn't lie at all.

"Aww. And you are the worst daughter in this whole galaxy." I whined and hit his chest. I started to chase him when he ran to avoid my beatings.

Yes, he would be always late and I would be the one waiting for him.

But I don't mind waiting because I knew he would come. He was worth the wait.

Though I was his child, for me he was the baby.

July 05, 2020 07:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Lynn Penny
19:56 Jul 11, 2020

wonderful story, a sad but good one.The emotion was strong and the dialogue was fitting.

Reply

Saranglogy R
03:26 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you so much for your feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
09:20 Jul 27, 2020

This was a really nice story. The emotions were well placed. The story was well paced. You answered the prompt and did it really well. I have definitely taken a few notes from your writing style. I would be really delighted if you took a look at just one of my stories . Keep writing Gomathi. Great work.

Reply

Saranglogy R
11:28 Jul 27, 2020

This really made my day. Thank you so much for your sweet words angel. And I would be more than happy to read yours :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
21:24 Jul 14, 2020

A lovely story about the bond between father and daughter. Good job!

Reply

Saranglogy R
04:42 Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts :)

Reply

Elle Clark
06:05 Jul 15, 2020

You’re welcome! Feel free to check mine out if you’re interested and have the time.

Reply

Saranglogy R
08:43 Jul 15, 2020

I already did :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
12:24 Jul 12, 2020

Hey, great story! The character development was smooth and their conversations were natural. The speech about the mom was especially moving. Very well-written! Also, would you mind checking out my stories to if it is not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

Saranglogy R
03:50 Jul 13, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. And I will be glad to read yours :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.