0 comments

Adventure Mystery Fantasy

“Oh no you don’t. Don’t you dare use those puppy dog eyes with me, young lady.”

“Young lady? You’re two months older than me.” I responded to my dramatic best friend, Julie. Desperately trying to get me to go on our school camping trip was currently at the top of her to-do list. Of course, that was in addition to driving me insane. Two birds, one stone.

Taking a seat on my bed, she “You have to come, Kass.”

“Okay, okay, I’m going,” I said in frustration, leaving her to believe that I was actually going. The trip was tomorrow morning. There’s absolutely no way I’d get everything ready in time.

She squealed excitedly. “That’s great!” She leaped off my bed and pulled something from under my bed. “I told your mom to pack just in case.” I stared at the backpack and sleeping bag she pulled out unable to move.

What?! I think my brain was having a panic attack. “Have I ever mentioned how much I hate you?” I looked at her pleadingly.

“Love you too.” She blew a kiss in my direction as she grabbed her purse to leave. Noticing my glare at her, she rolled her eyes. “Oh come on. You know you’ll love it.”

I groaned and got up to walk her out. “Plus, you know Aiden’s gonna be there.”

“Great. A chance to make a fool of myself in front of my crush. Why didn’t I think of that?” I retorted, opening the door.

“I’ll keep you in check. I promise.”

Sure.’ She gave me a quick hug as she walked out, getting her bike to leave. “See you tomorrow.” I waved unenthusiastically and closed the door after she left.

I walked into the kitchen to grab a glass of water, tomorrow’s trip now clouding my mind. “It’s good she’s getting you out, you know,” My mom interrupted my thoughts. So, this was her idea.

“I go out!” I exclaimed. “Occasionally.” It’s like she was insinuating I lived within these four walls. I wasn’t. I go to school. I go to tennis lessons. I go to the library. And of course, I go along with Julie’s insane adventures. Can’t that be the extent of adventure in my life?

My mom giggled. “Hun, you need to get yourself out there. Julie told me of a certain someone that was going on the trip.” I could’ve sworn I felt my face turn red. “Take a chance. Maybe something will happen.”

I shook my head in disbelief, walking back to my room to mentally prepare myself for the coming weekend trip. Ugh! Sometimes I wish I was a loner.

The night went quickly and I was up bright and early the next day, unwillingly ready to leave for the camping trip. As the dirty yellow school bus stopped in front of my house, I literally felt the anxiety creep up. My mom kissed my forehead and sent me off. “You’ll be fine, don’t worry.” She whispered and smiled. Pursing my lips, I got on the bus and took a seat next to a rather chatty Julie.

And so it began. The bus picked up a few more students, Aiden being one of them, before heading off to the site.

As we arrived at the reserve, we were greeted by a park ranger who briefed us about the rules and safety measures. Divided into smaller groups, each led by a teacher, we set off on different paths to explore the forest. I’m just glad Julie and I were part of the same group. And call it what you want - fate, karma, destiny - it was on my side today. Aiden was part of a different group being led to another forest site.

The day progressed smoothly as we made our way to the campground. After pitching our tents with great difficulty, we took a short break for lunch. We were left to explore on our own soon after that. I took my little bag with a bag of chips, a bottle of water, and a torch, and escaped from Julie. She’s my best friend, but after a while of listening to her talking, you kinda want to kill her.

It’s a wonder I got away. I didn’t plan on going far away, just far enough to enjoy some silence. I kept walking along through what I assumed was a path. It seemed safer considering I wasn’t great with navigation.

Losing track of time, I looked up at the cloudy sky. Time to -

I turned around to find grass patches surrounding me. “What?” I muttered to myself. I walked straight on a dirt path. I’m pretty sure. A drop of water slapped my cheek. I looked up. ‘No, no! Not now.’ It began to rain.

Frantically trying to calm myself down enough, to think of a plan, I made my way back to the camp, hopefully in the right direction. I was lost. And now wet. Great!

The rain poured down relentlessly as I trudged through the thick foliage of the forest. Panic gnawed at my insides, my heart pounding with each passing second. How had I ended up so lost? The trees seemed to close in on me, their branches reaching out like gnarled fingers. It felt as though the forest itself was conspiring against me.

Just as hope was fading, I stumbled upon a small, weather-beaten cabin nestled among the trees. A flicker of relief sparked within me as I rushed toward it, seeking shelter from the unforgiving downpour. I pushed open the creaky door, my breath shaky with a mix of exhaustion and gratitude.

“Hello?” I heard a voice creak from inside. I stood still and silent as I let the gorgeous blue eyes look me up and down. Of course, it was Aiden - a shirtless Aiden. I’m glad the cabin was dimly lit right now because I was red as a cherry. He wrung out his shirt over a bucket, looking at me. “Kate?”

Was he talking to me?

Of course, he’s talking to you, you idiot. There’s no one else here.’ My mind retorted. Yeah, because sarcasm is what I need right now. Why am I fighting with myself?

“It’s uh… Kassidy a-actually.” I managed to sputter out.

“Sorry.” He pursed his lips apologetically. Why would he know my name? I’m invisible. “What are you doing here?”

“Ummm, lost. Rain.”

How about full sentences next time?’ He chuckled. “Same.” He looked back. “That was a stupid question.”

I walked inside, clinging my arms to my chest. I was cold and wet. As nervous as I was to be around him, I had to hide it and be a normal person.

Before we could exchange any further words, a sudden crash shattered the silence between us. The door flew open, revealing a group of armed men, their faces concealed beneath menacing masks.

My heart froze in my chest as fear washed over me. As if I wasn’t nervous enough. Their presence filled the cabin with an air of danger and uncertainty. "Where is he?" one of the men demanded, his voice strong and loud.

Confusion swept through me as I glanced between Aiden and the men. They were after him? My eyes met Aiden’s, and I could see the fear and confusion mirrored in his gaze.

The armed men closed in on Aiden, seizing him by the arms with an iron grip. I couldn't bear to stand idly by as they tried dragging him away. Something inside me snapped, and a surge of determination coursed through my veins.

"No! You can't take him!"

They stopped, their attention now turned toward me. One of the armed men turned his attention to me, a glimmer of amusement dancing in his eyes. “Get the girl too.”

One of the men grabbed me as I attempted to run in the opposite direction. I pushed and kicked and squirmed but to no avail.

As they forcibly took us away from the safety of the cabin, we were thrown on the ground. I looked over at Aiden who was fuming. Literally!

“Give us what you owe, boy!” One of the men yelled.

“It’s not just your life on the line here.” Another one smirked. “You’ve got one mouthy girlfriend.”

The storm roared on as the thunder broke the uncomfortable silence that was soon forming. If I could only focus -

Aiden got to his feet. “You can’t fight us, boy.”

I could feel the erratic power building inside me. ‘Focus! Focus!’ I mentally chanted.

My heart stopped as I saw red sparks alighting from Aiden’s palms. The sparks soon turned into balls of fire. The men backed away. He has powers too?

The fire faded as if put out. He sighed in worry, clenching his fists to get it back.

Confidence was reignited in the men as they pushed forward. He backed away, trying desperately to get the flame back. “You’re not as powerful as your father, boy. But someone has to pay for his crimes.”

The leader backed Aiden into a tree, holding his gun under Aiden’s chin. “Sorry, boy. It’s only business.” He clutched the trigger.

“No!” I yelled. Lightning struck the ground instantly, causing sparks to dance with the rain. That was distraction enough for Aiden to get away from his grasp and run towards me.

I hopped onto my feet and steadied myself. The electricity was surging within me. Aiden drew from the slow fire the lighting caused and found his strength again.

“Boss?” One of the men asked, frightened.

“Get them!”

Neither of them made an attempt at coming for us. Not instantly at least. “What are you waiting for?” The closest guy stepped forward, braving it out.

Electricity crackled, illuminating my hands and coursing through my fingertips, stunting the ground. Aiden directed his hands, forming a wall of fire between them and us.

“Run!” He yelled, taking my hand. We ran, our hearts pounding, and the adrenaline fueling our escape. Neither of us knew where we were going, but as long as it was away from the fight.

Well, this camping trip definitely took a weird turn. I just can’t believe I found someone else like me - someone with powers.

“This isn’t over, boy!”

May 19, 2023 17:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.