BEWARE THE WOLF IN THE WOODS

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

6 comments

Kids

ANCIENT legends always tell us to beware of the wolf in the woods:

 

Once upon a time, there lived a young, innocent girl, named ‘Little Red Riding Hood…

 

*

“Red, dear, I’m going to bake some pies and cakes for your grandmother,” Red’s mother told her. “You know she’s getting older and I want to make sure she eats properly. Would you be a dear and take them over to her cottage, when they’re ready?”

 

“Oh, Mother, that will mean going through the woods in the dark and I’m sure there are lots of nasty demons and other evil things lurking in the depths of the woods, but, if it’s for Granny, of course I’ll go,” answered Red.

 

“You listen to too many fairy tales, Red. There are no nasty evil things lurking in the woods. It’s just superstitious nonsense made up to frighten young children when they’re naughty, but I knew you wouldn’t let your granny down. It’s going to get much colder before twilight though,” her mother continued, “so you’d better make sure you wrap up warm in your nice, new red cloak.”

 

When the cakes and pies were ready, Red placed them in a wicker basket and covered them with a cloth to protect them from all the nasty creepy-crawlies she was sure to encounter on her way through the woods.

 

She was about to leave when her mother said, “Remember, don’t talk to any strangers on the way and make sure you stay on the path.”

 

“O.K., Mum,” Red promised, as she headed off to her granny’s.

 

*

Shortly after she’d set off on her errand, Red was stopped by a woodsman pushing a cart laden with logs, which he was taking to her village to sell.

 

“Good afternoon to you, young miss, and where are you going on this fine day?” he asked, but, heeding her mother’s warning, she walked past without answering.

 

“Huh, that’s not very polite, ignoring me like that when I was only trying to be friendly,” said the woodsman, curtly.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude, but my mother told me not to speak to strangers,” Red replied.

 

“Quite right too, but it wouldn’t hurt to say ‘good afternoon’ would it?”

 

“I… I suppose not,” she conceded. “Good afternoon, sir.”

 

“That’s better. So, what do they call you and where are you off to on this fine day?”

“My name’s Red and I’m going to visit my grandmother to give her these pies and cakes. My mother made them especially for her.”

 

“And jolly tasty I’ll bet they are too. Your basket looks a little heavy for a slip of a girl like you though - I could lighten it for you, if you’ve got a pie, or two, to spare.”

 

“I’m sorry, I must take them to my grandmother.”

 

“Where does your granny live?” enquired the woodsman. “Is it far?”

 

“No, it’s not too far. She has a cottage in a clearing in the woods,” replied Red.

 

“In the woods, did you say? Are you sure you want to go into the woods on your own? There are lots of dangerous things lurking there and who knows what dangers may befall a young girl like you, who enters the woods alone. Oh, and if you see any of your young friends, you’d do well to warn them not to go into the woods, either.”

 

“But I… I… must take these pies and cakes to my Granny. She’s expecting me,” stammered Red, nervously.  

 

“Well, if you have to go into the woods, you’d better be careful and stick to the path, as I saw a large hungry-looking wolf prowling about in the woods only this morning.” 

 

“Oh no! You didn’t kill it, did you?” exclaimed Red, in alarm.

 

“No, it got away, worse luck, but I’ll make sure I catch it next time.”

 

“I don’t like the thought of any animal being hurt. Anyway, I think I’d better be going now, my grandmother will be waiting for me,” murmured Red, as she swiftly proceeded on her way.

 

 “You didn’t say ‘goodbye’,” shouted the woodsman after her.

 

*

Within moments of entering the woods, the village was out of sight.

 

The path had many twists and turns, as it snaked through the trees to get round fallen branches, tree stumps and dense patches of undergrowth and there were many points where the path only stretched for about ten paces or so before a bend was encountered. In addition, the trees overhung the path in many places, blocking out the sun and making the woods gloomy and chill.

 

When Red came to a particularly short and narrow stretch of path, she felt that the trees were closing in on her and the gloom became darker and the chill became colder.

 

Suppressing a shiver, Red tightened her cloak around her and continued on her way, but when she rounded the bend, her blood ran even colder and she froze in fear.

 

A large, grey wolf was standing directly in front of her, blocking the path!


She was too scared to move forward or go back, but the wolf simply stood there looking at her, silently, for what seemed to Red like a lifetime.

 

Then, all at once, there was the sound of somebody, or something, crashing through the undergrowth.

 

“There it is,” cried someone excitedly, as several villagers burst out of the cover of the trees.

 

“Get it,” somebody else shouted, as they ran towards the wolf, throwing stones and sharpened sticks at it, but their missiles missed their mark.

 

The wolf simply looked at Red through its large amber eyes and barked once, before dashing off into the woods, chased by the villagers and, seizing her chance, she hurried off in the direction of her grandmother’s cottage, anxious to get to there before the wolf returned for her. As she was sure it would.

 

*

It was getting dark when Red reached her grandmother’s cottage and she was cheered to see the warm glow of the wood fire when she opened the door.

 

“Hello, Granny, it’s me Red. I’ve brought you some pies and some of your favourite cakes,” but there was no answer other than the crackling of the logs in the grate.

 

 “Hello, Granny, are you there?” she called, but there was still no reply.

 

Suddenly, the door flew open without warning and an icy-cold blast of air filled the room.

 

Red turned round swiftly and was relieved to see the woodsman standing in the doorway.

 

“Hello,” he said, cheerily, putting down his axe and the basket of logs which he was carrying. “You got here safely then I see.”

 

“You… you’re the woodsman from the village aren’t you, but how did you get here before me? I didn’t see you on the path,” queried Red, nervously.

 

“Oh, I know a short cut through the trees. It’s much quicker than sticking to the path and I’ve chopped a few logs for your granny to keep her warm on this chilly night.”

 

“Oh, thank you,” said Red, “but she doesn’t seem to be here. You haven’t seen her, have you?”

 

“No, I’m afraid not,” answered the woodsman, turning round and shutting the door. “Maybe, she’s gone to get some logs for the fire herself. Anyway, I’m sure she’ll be back soon.”

 

Then the woodsman picked up the basket of logs, which he carried across to the hearth, and put a couple of extra logs on the fire.

  

 “Oh, I do hope Granny’s alright,” she said. “There was a huge, grey wolf on the path and it just stood there looking at me. I thought it was going to eat me.”

 

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry about the wolf,” he told Red. “A slender thing like you would hardly be a mouthful for a hungry wolf, even though you are a tasty, little morsel. Now, why don’t you take you cloak off – it will soon warm up in here.”

 

“Well, if you are sure Granny won’t be long, I suppose I’d better wait for her,” replied Red, taking her cloak off, which the woodsman took from her and hung up on the back of the door. 

 

Then he quietly put the wooden bar across the door and turned round and leered coarsely at Red.

 

 “Now take your blouse off,” he commanded.

 

“W… wh… what do you mean?” whispered Red, nervously.

 

“What do you think I mean? I said take your blouse off and that’s exactly what I mean and that’s exactly what you are going to do,” he ordered menacingly. “Or do you want me to take it off for you.”

 

Without waiting for Red to obey his vile command, he seized the front of Red’s blouse and, despite her struggles, he forcibly tore it off and threw the tattered remnants onto the floor. 

 

“And now you can take your skirt off, as well,” he ordered and Red looked anxiously at the door and ran towards it, hoping to make her escape, but the woodsman blocked her path.

 

“Don’t think you can escape, young lady, and don’t think your granny’s going to come and rescue you either because I’ve seen to that. So take your skirt off right away and then you are going to remove of your other garments, as well. Slowly, one by one, until you’re not wearing anything at all. Now, do as you’re told and take your skirt off, unless, of course, you want me to come and remove it for you.”

  

“No… no… please, don’t. You can’t,” sobbed Red.

 

“Oh, yes I can, but don’t worry, I’m sure that you are going to enjoy what I have in mind for you and we’ve got all night to enjoy ourselves and nobody’s going to distur…”

 

‘BANG.’

 

Suddenly, the sound of a loud crash reverberated through the cottage and shards of shattered glass sprayed the room and the woodsman hastily turned round towards the window just in time to see a mass of grey fur flying towards him.

 

It was the wolf!

 

The woodsman frantically looked around for his axe, but it was too late, the creature was on him. The wolf crashed into the woodsman’s chest knocking him to the floor.

 

Cursing loudly, the woodsman tried to scramble to his feet, but the wolf was quicker and, in one bound, the wolf leapt on him.

 

In less than a heartbeat, its slavering jaws fastened on to his neck, and the wolf sank its fangs into the woodsman’s throat. He desperately tried to fight the wolf off, but to no avail. Growling in fury, the wolf bit deeper and ripped the evil, would-be abuser’s throat out.

 

As the blood spurted from the woodman’s neck, the wolf let out a spine-tingling howl and then padded over to Red, who was rooted to the spot, shaking in fear.

 

With its ears erect and pointing directly at Red, the wolf stared at her, its large amber eyes glowing in the firelight, and barked once, before turning round and retreating to the door, which it began to scratch.

 

Turning back to look at Red, the wolf gave another short bark and, realizing that the wolf wasn’t going to harm her, she said softly, “Thank you, you saved me…”

  

The wolf barked, once again.

 

“… and now you want to go back to your home in the woods, don’t you, boy?”

 

Red slowly stepped past the much maligned and misunderstood animal and opened the door, setting her saviour free.

 

“Good-bye,” said Red as the wolf trotted towards the trees, but, before it disappeared into the woods, it stopped and turned around to face Red.

 

It barked softly once more and then looked in the direction of the woodshed.

 

The wolf barked again, but swiftly looked back towards Red and barked for one last time, before disappearing into the depths of the woods.

 

Red realized at once what the wolf had been trying to tell her and she ran to the woodshed, where she found her granny tied up inside.

 

She quickly looked around and, spotting an axe, she swiftly cut the ropes and, after freeing her grandmother, she rushed back outside and looked wistfully towards the woods.

 

“Thank you,” said Red, as a tear fell slowly down her cheek, “and goodbye, my friend.”

End. 

Word count: 2050.


May 23, 2020 15:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Corey Melin
04:32 Jun 02, 2020

Good read. The type of story you read or watch nowadays where characters have been switched from good to evil, and good to evil.

Reply

DAVID A JONES
13:46 Jun 05, 2020

Many thanks for your comments. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Loss
18:52 Jun 01, 2020

Crazy story! Good job!

Reply

DAVID A JONES
13:46 Jun 05, 2020

Many thanks for your comments. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Noor Ahmed
14:33 Jun 04, 2020

love it!

Reply

DAVID A JONES
13:44 Jun 05, 2020

Many thanks for your comments. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.