William Gregory MacDonald

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Start your story with the arrival of a strange visitor in a small town.... view prompt

30 comments

Fiction Sad

(Warning: this story has themes of drinking and death)

It was not uncommon for people to stumble drunkenly into the small inn on the corner of Central Avenue and Stone Street, but when they asked for the largest room there was and did not count out the hundreds of dollars in cash they put on the counter, it tended to catch the attention of those who saw. 

Harold Randall stood up from where he was sitting, looking at the man in disbelief as he counted out one-hundred, two-hundred, three, four, five-hundred dollars.

“Sir, this will pay for at least a weeks stay. How many nights?” 

The man leaned forward, and Harold could smell the alcohol on his breath. “Ah, it’s no biggie. Keep the money, kid. I’ll be outta here in a day or- or-” he paused as if he had lost track of what he was saying, then he shook his head. “What’s your name?” 

“My name?” 

“Yeah? Do you not have one?” 

“Harold Randall, sir, but most people just call me Harry.” 

“Ain’t that a stupid thing,” the man muttered, shaking his head, “Harold’s a good, sturdy name. Don’t let them change it. It’s what your father named you, ain’t it?” 

Harold straightened, frowning. “Well, yeah. Him and my mother.”

The man nodded, his eyes drooping, presumably from the alcohol. It seemed he was about to pass out. 

“Alright, then.” Harold stooped below the counter to get a key. “Room 12, sir.” 

“My name is William Gregory MacDonald,” the man said without anyone’s asking. He tipped his cap down. “That’ll be a name you’ll remember.” 

Harold nodded, unsure of what to say. Luckily, William Gregory MacDonald was stumbling off down the hallway. 

Word spread quickly of Mr. Macdonald’s arrival. Rumors wove themselves throughout the small town and soon everyone had heard whispers about him. He was a foreign member of an old royal family, he was a member of the government posed as a normal civilian, he was a criminal who had robbed a bank and was hiding out from the police. 

But the truth was, nobody really knew anything about William Gregory MacDonald. Since he had first stumbled into the inn, he had not emerged from his room. It would be going on thirty-four hours. He had to run out of food sometime, didn’t he? 

Though the man had confused Harold, he found himself awaiting a second conversation with him. Maybe he would not be quite so drunk, and he would explain himself. There was something intriguing about him- he was a puzzle that needed to be solved, a riddle that needed to be answered. 

When Mr. MacDonald did, at last, converse again with Harold, he was perhaps even more drunk than he had been before. 

“Harold? Harold, is that you?” he squinted through tears, then smiled. 

“Sir, are you alright?” 

“Hm?” the man wiped his eyes, then stared at his hand and frowned. “Oh, yes, I’m just fine. I heard a wonderful story about a- ah, nevermind. It was real funny. They don’t tell stories like that anymore.” 

“I don’t think they do,” Harold agreed. 

“Do you want me to tell you a story?” 

Harold, caught off guard, opened his mouth to say something, but Mr. MacDonald cut him off. 

“Once upon a time, there was a boy. He was about your age- what are you, thirteen?” 

“Seventeen, sir,” Harold corrected, turning a little pink.

“Right. Anyways, this boy was a real nasty little kid. He yelled at his parents so often, they were afraid of him! In fact, they were so scared of telling their little boy off that he grew up and got worse and worse. Nobody could stand to be around him he was so rude. Best part is, he never realized his attitude was the problem. He went on thinking that there was somethin’ else wrong with him. He dropped out of school and started drinking, ‘cause what else was there to do? He sure didn’t have any friends. 

“One day, he had drank so much, he became invincible. At least, that’s what he thought. ‘Cept, he wasn’t. This nasty little boy became a vicious teenager became a bitter old man. And what can bitter old men do but die?” 

Harold waited for him to go on, but he didn’t. He just stared off into the distance. 

“What can bitter old men do but die?” he repeated, but softer. He turned to Harold, his eyes glittering. “Huh? What’re you staring at?” 

Quickly, Harold looked away. 

“Do you know what the moral of this story is?” 

Careful not to look at him, Harold replied, “parents shouldn’t allow their children to grow up like that?” 

“Ah, but was it really the parents fault? Or are monsters destined to be worse monsters, no matter their environment?” 

No, that wasn’t right, Harold thought, it wasn’t the kids fault. But he didn’t argue with William Gregory MacDonald, because he didn’t seem like someone who should be argued with. 

“I feel awful sorry for the boy,” he said instead, purposefully not answering the question. 

Mr. MacDonald didn’t seem to notice, but he did respond with new intensity. “You shouldn’t. He doesn’t deserve pity. He did it to himself, didn’t he?”

“Well, yes, but-” 

“Ain’t no ‘but’s’ about it, Harold,” the man smiled. There was something off about his smile, as if a piece of it were missing. “That boy deserved everything he got. The moral of the story of this: when nasty little boys do grow up, and they become nasty old men who drink too much and hate everything and love nothing. It’s better to die young than live like that. Remember that, Harold Randall. It’s better to die young.” 

Harold searched for words to refute what the man had said, but something had changed in his face. He turned around and went back to his room. 

This time, he emerged just an hour later. “Make sure it’s you that cleans up my room, kid,” he said. Then William Gregory MacDonald let out a whoop and ran out into the night. 

A day later, he had not returned. Harold decided it was time to clean his room, for he guessed he wasn’t going to return to the inn. He didn’t know then how right he was. 

In Mr. MacDonalds room, there were very few things. Two large beers, both empty, a pair of shoes- Harold had not realized that he had been barefoot when they last spoke- and a folded piece of paper on the bed, addressed to a Harold Randall. 

He unfolded it and attempted to make out the hurried scrawl written on it. 

Don’t know if you guessed, but that story I told you was true. Truth is, the kid should have died young, but the best thing he can do right now is die old. You seem like a good kid. Keep being a good kid. Don’t grow up to be like me. If you do, it’s best not to grow up at all. Thank you for listening to an old man’s story. I’m leaving this for you, but don’t tell no one, ‘specially not the cops, because there’s probably some legal rule I have to follow. 

That was all it said. Along with it was a huge wad of cash, all big bills. There was probably over five thousand dollars in total, but Harold didn’t count. 

He had pieced together the puzzle that was William Gregory MacDonald at last, and he knew deep down that his story had ended. He knew that the next newspaper he would open would tell the story of how a strange man entered a small town one day and never left. They wouldn’t know his story, but they would know his problems. 

That didn’t seem fair to Harold. Everyone would know that he had drunk too much and made too many bad decisions, but they wouldn’t know that maybe he wouldn’t have turned out like that. They wouldn’t know that he had thought his only options were death or a life of misery. 

But Harold also felt lucky. He was lucky that he had seen both sides of Mr. MacDonald, even if he had only known him for a few days. He felt lucky that even if no one else would, he would remember the story of a uncontrolled boy who grew up to be a desperate man who sought a way out. 

The man had been entirely correct when he said that Harold would remember the name William Gregory MacDonald.

May 28, 2021 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Mohamed Sarfan
06:20 Jun 18, 2021

Dear Writer, This is a different storyline. Every man thinks I should live well to the end. But, not all human beings here are good. The quest for ambition begins on the path of a dream. Man is going to change direction only in the darkness of rules. The biggest violence here is that there is no other man on the side to speak the mind of  only man. The boy's world will turn into a youth garden after a few more days of running. It is at such moments that the grip or hatred on life naturally develops depending on the dollars in the pocket. H...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Drew Andrews
15:24 Jun 05, 2021

Thanks for the follow. Look for my upcoming story titled: Murder in Monument Valley. The unseen twisting to the plot makes it good.... And sad. And too relatable. Looking forward to hearing from you. And keep up the good work on your end. Nice concept.

Reply

Veda Stone
23:21 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you! I enjoyed reading your story :)

Reply

Drew Andrews
23:27 Jun 05, 2021

I didn't know you were able to see it yet. I am new to this site. And still trying to figure out what is going on with what. I had been thinking no one could see anything until it was approved and published. Lol. No I know I have to submit a good finished product and no more ideal idea pieces... To be finished later. ... Maybe that is why I have not received any reads yet. Again still getting used to it.

Reply

Veda Stone
00:01 Jun 06, 2021

I'm fairly new to this to, but from what I've learned the stories show up when they're approved, but if you go directly into someone's account you can see their stories, even if they hadn't been approved

Reply

Show 0 replies
Veda Stone
00:01 Jun 06, 2021

I'm fairly new to this too, but from what I've learned the stories show up when they're approved, but if you go directly into someone's account you can see their stories, even if they hadn't been approved

Reply

Show 0 replies
Veda Stone
00:01 Jun 06, 2021

I'm fairly new to this too, but from what I've learned the stories show up when they're approved, but if you go directly into someone's account you can see their stories, even if they hadn't been approved

Reply

Drew Andrews
00:17 Jun 06, 2021

Well then.... Lol.... I will try not to post " things in the works" from now on. Thanks for the update. I would have stayed lost.lol. I don't have as much time as I would like to have to get a full story out sometimes. I lay down main ideas and suggestions for what I want then go back and forth waving everything together.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zae Johnson
05:12 Jun 05, 2021

This story was heart-warming. I absolutely loved it. It sounded like a true story yet it had fictional sides to it as well. Great job, Veda.

Reply

Veda Stone
14:44 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you so much! This is such a nice thing to hear as a writer :)

Reply

Zae Johnson
16:58 Jun 05, 2021

You're very welcome! I'm here to encourage all. I love the way you write and I can't wait to read more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:52 Jun 16, 2021

This was a very compelling story. I really like how you developed the story of Mr. MacDonald, it leaves me wondering what else happened along the road for him to be a bitter old man. Deep down, I feel like he had a big heart. There needs to be more people like Harold in this world as well. Amazing job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
S. Closson
10:13 Jun 13, 2021

You really did a great job with this. There's so many little details you added that made it so easy to picture the scenes as they played out, not to mention the overall story itself, which was very interesting. Nice going!

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
03:27 Jun 09, 2021

Awesome story. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cannon Taylor
17:46 Jun 05, 2021

I love this story, it has a Western vibe and a somber message. The characters are compelling and I wanted to see more of them. Great job!

Reply

Veda Stone
23:21 Jun 05, 2021

:) thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tricia Shulist
13:56 Jun 05, 2021

That was nice. I enjoyed the narrative voice. Thank you.

Reply

Veda Stone
14:42 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Larry Rhoton
13:49 Jun 05, 2021

Awesome story, Veda. I enjoyed this. I look forward to reading more of your work. Great writing. I guess now, I'll remember the name William Gregory McDonald...LOL Again, excellent content and great writing-good job!

Reply

Veda Stone
14:43 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shae Dandridge
18:34 Jun 08, 2021

This was a wonderful story -- it had a nice western feel mixed with some kind of coziness. As you can tell, I don't know how to describe this style, I just know that I like it. For the critique, I believe that there should've been some interaction between the two main ones that explains why the second one was so emotional, but I understand that you had to stay in the word limit. Overall, it's a good story and a good concept. I appreciate how relatable the main character is, and the first person view fits very nicely. Wonderful job on your fi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Miranda Klapheke
21:44 Jun 07, 2021

I liked the Western feel and the sad yet heart warming story behind it. It made me smile but feel bad for William Gregory MacDonald. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arvind Kashyap
10:37 Jun 07, 2021

The very first submission is great. Welcome to Reedsy. I loved reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michael Martin
23:37 Jun 05, 2021

I enjoyed the voice you used for the titular character; the brash, over the top character traits he exhibited led me to be incredibly interested in what role he'd play in the story. I understand why it had to happen this way, given that this contest has a word limit, but I felt a bit let down by how quickly WGM came and went in the story, that his parting words with the main character (who he'd met twice) were emotionally uplifting/thoughtful when that didn't seem to fit his character up to that point. Perhaps if there was something specif...

Reply

Veda Stone
00:03 Jun 06, 2021

Thank you so much! Feedback like this is really appreciated :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ben Hulme
22:29 Jun 05, 2021

Great story!

Reply

Veda Stone
23:22 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Mosqueda
19:34 Jun 05, 2021

Amazing first story! Can't wait to read more!

Reply

Veda Stone
23:21 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
09:26 Jun 08, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.