Spark of the Moment

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Begin your story with somebody watching the sunrise, or sunset.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Coming of Age Fiction

Spark of the Moment

As I looked out through the window watching the sunrise, I started reminising back on the day I met the one and only man I’ve ever loved.

I wake up, I take a shower, dry my hair, put on nice clothes, choose some nice jewelry, wrap my head in a scarf, grab a book. And off we go. Every day it’s the same they say. But I like it. My life isn’t boring. At least not to me. It is calm and beautiful. If only they could see it from my eyes…

“Mom! Dad! I’m off!” I yelled as I grabbed some waffles from the table and ran towards the door.

“Hold it!” my mom exclaimed. “Remember to visit the barn and feed the animals. Pass through the fields and turn on the sprinklers. Make sure you visit the Cafe, Julio has something for you. And please check out Mrs Carie’s shop and see if she has some new items, tell her i’ll be passing in the afternoon. If you don’t see aything don’t bother.”

“Sure, okay.” I muttered.

“Sure? Okay? Is that all you’re going to say?” She just looked at me wating for an answer. “…”

“…”

“Okay fine. I don’t know if you realize but I kind of want to live a simple life.” I explained.

“Awe come on! Go out there, breathe in the wild air. You are young! You have energy! Go find yourself a soulmate. Or maybe break some hearts. Although I’m sure you’ve already done so by just passing by them guys, haven’t you?” My mom tended to use her hands a lot. She winked on that last one.

I was incredibly beautiful, that is what my mother told me and I couldn’t deny it. My skin sunkissed, and my features, gracefully in their place. My personality, sweet. My voice deep, but pleasing to hear.

“MOM!”

“What? How long do you pretend for us to take care of you? You need a man Arabella!”

“Argh, I’m out.” I opened the principal door.

“Love you.”

“Love you too!” The door slamed.

I wasn’t particularly angry about everyone telling me to find love, I just wished everyone would see that I am fine where I am right now and stop pushing me to go out and do things I clearly didn’t find the need of doing.

I grabbed my baby blue bike and walked up to the barn. As I got closer I could see that the animals were awake. Feeding the animals was my favorite part of the day, other than reading of course. Our barn was small but we had what we needed. Cows for the milk, two horses for helping with heavy load, ducks and chickens because we liked eggs, and my favorite little girly, Clarissa. Named after a sweet character in one of my favorite books, she was my pet lamb. We found her on the side of the road, started a search, and due to the owners kindness he gifted her to us.

“Hi!” As soon as the animals heard me they all started making noises. I could tell they loved me as much as I loved them. “Are you all ready for your meals?” everyone came up to their doors, Randy, one of the cows came a little later than the rest which made me giggle. I gave all of the animals their breakfast as I ate my waffle, spending special time with Clarissa, then went off. Thanks to my mother I had a lot to do today.

“Bella!” I saw my mom wave at me, a small rectangle wicker basket in the other hand. I rode my bike back down to the house where she was. “I made these at dawn, be sure to share with Julio, Mrs Carie and, if you find someone you like out there,” she nudged my arm. “Make sure to give it to him, yah.”

“I will mom.” she smiled.

“Enjoy your trip.” She said as I went off in my bike.

“Enjoy your work!” I shouted back.

On my way I remembered to turn the sprinklers on. We sold sunflower oil, so there was a huge sunflower field in front of the house. Which honestly made me happy. Imagine all the people passing by just in awe of how the flowers shined. I bet it would make you happy as well. The sunflower oil company was ran by my father. It was a noble job and he loved it. The company was named after our last name Amora, which means Love. Something definitely lived in our home. The vibe could definitely be felt. It’s nice since all the people who bought the cooking oil would be putting love into their food. I thought it was a sweet analogy.

“Good Morning. You’re up early, as usual.” My brother passed by.

“Hi! Everything ok?” I replied.

“Yeah I was just checking up on the flower garden. We have a visitor coming in today and appearently he likes the quiet, just like you.” He said matter-of-factly.

“Really? How come I didn’t know any of this?”

“Dad didn’t tell you? Yeah, he is with one of the investors. Coming to check out how the oil business is going.” He pointed to the sunflowers near us.

“Ah, I see. Well, then I’ll bring some flowers in to put in his room. As a welcome gift.” I stated.

My brother smiled. “Looks like someone has been taking some advice.” He said jokingly.

“Oh stop it! You know well what I mean!” I barked as he backed innocently out of the crime scene with a shrug. “God help me.” I sighed.

My brother was two years older than me. So, twenty two to be exact. He and I had a love-hate relationship. Mostly love of course.

As soon as I finished with the sprinklers, I mounted my bike and rode it pass the field all the way to the town. It was a gorgeous ride! The scenery was incredibly breathtaking. The wind blowing through my hair. The warmth of the sun on my skin. I couldn’t have asked for more.

Mrs Carie’s shop was nearer so I stopped there first. It was a cothing store. Mrs Carie sold the best cothing there could ever be in this small but large town. Large because of the big fields. Mom loved shopping here, and so did I.

“Hi!” I barged in. Mrs Carie and mom were very good friends. As a little girl she would take care of me when my mom was busy, or on a getaway with my dad. So she was basically like an aunt to me. “How’s everything Mrs Carie? I brought pastry.”

“Oh, hi darling! Everything’s good. Thank you for asking,” We hugged then she took a little while to look at me. “Wow! You’ve grown so beautifully!” she said admiringly.

“Thank you!” I smiled. “Pastry?” I lifted the basket infront of my chest.

“Sure!” she answered as I moved it to the table top. “What did your mother make this time.” She said as I took one out for her. “Belgian buns! My favorite!” She sang. I giggled.

“My mother would love to know if there any new items in store.”

“Oh sure! Come, come this way.” She lead me to the storage room. “Here are the latest aditions.” she signaled to the rack full of colourful clothes. “And here,” she signaled to the othe end of the storage. “Are the clothes picked out for you honey.”

“Awe, Mrs Carie! This is amazing!” There was a rack filled with simple off white, beige, orange, and greens flowy dresses and two pieces.

“Would you like to try them on darling?” She asked.

“I would love to, but I can’t right now. Julio has something for me. I wanted to pick that up early.”

“I see. Well I’ll send them off with your mother then.”

“Of course.” I replied as we went out to the store front. “I’ll be going then.”

“Of course, have a great day!”

“Same, thanks!”

Julio was a little further up. He owned a restaurant where he sold all kind of variety. I definitely prefered chinese. But the rest of the menu was wonderful as well.

When I finally arrived I saw that the restaurant was empty but open which weirded me out because it was packed most of the time. I went inside to see what was the deal and came across with a sign saying that the place had been booked. I wondered, who would do such thing? As quick as the thought came it went.

“Julio!” I called not seeing anyone at the desk. “Julio my mom made Belgian buns!” I waited for an answer. But it seemed as if no one was there.

I waited a little and that was all it took.

“Arabella! Hi!” He came out, his hands holding something I couldn’t see clearly. “Sorry I made you wait. As soon as I heard your voice I went up from the kitchen to look for something for you.” He said smiling.

“Ah yes. My mom mentioned you had something for me.” I smiled back anticipating what it was he had for me. “Also, I noticed the reserved sign at the front.”

“Yes yes, we are having an event later in the evening, just preparing for that. Here, I made this for you.” He opened his hands in front of me revealing a beautiful sunflower, wood carved book separator.

“Oh Julio, It’s beautiful. Now I know that cooking isn’t the only thing you can do.” He laughed. He was one of the best cook I knew other than my mom of course. Julio was already in his late fifties, so seeing that he had other hobbies proved how youthful he was despite his old age.

“Hello?” I heard the voice of a man make an appearance.

“Good morning!” Julio and I said, my back towards the stranger who came. I was too busy admiring the book separator that Julio had made for me. “What shall I do for you young man?” Julio continued.

“Um, just wanted to verify I’m on the right path.” My back still facing the stranger. He hadn’t approached the desk yet. “I’m looking for a specific place. I was hoping you could enlighten me?”

“I’ll try. This is quite a small town you came into. Where are you heading?” Julio was very nice to every person he came across. He was single but everyone adored him. He definitely was the type of guy who helped people out. At this point the guy had reached the desk and was standing beside me but I was still focused on my gorgeous wood carved separator.

“Yes! I am heading to Amora’s sunflower field.” Now I didn’t know about this guy’s english accent but what made me react was what he said. I immediately turned towards him and looked at him just to come to a halt as he looked towards me. We stood there in awe of each other for quite a while before he started talking again making me forget completely what I was going to say to him. “Also I found this book outside in the rain, I thought I would bring it in.” He said still looking at me while showing Julio the red hard cover book I had left in my bicycle. I didn’t respond knowing that the book was mine.

Julio realized what was going on. “I’ll take the book thank you.”

The guy looked to Julio. “The sunflower field is a couple of minutes further up. Go straight, it’s hard to miss since it’s the only one in this town.” He smiled.

“Thank you! I appreciate the help.”

“No problem, hey and if you need anymore help you can pass here anytime. And since it’s raining, please do me a favor and carry this one with you.” I looked at Julio only to realize he was looking at me placing the book in the basket.

“You’re heading there too?” He asked me raising his brows.

“Ah, trust me, she is.” Julio said coming round the desk, positioning the basquet in my in my arms. I looked at Julio, my eyes wide open begging for help. He signaled to the stranger to go ahead of us. Julio started in the direction the handsome stranger was heading. When we went outside I noticed how heavy it was raining. “Take good care of her.” Julio said to the man while putting me into the passenger seat.

“I will.” He replied with a smile. Without being able to bring myself together my mouth popped open. Other than his handsome face, narrow green eyes, and smooth blonde hair, he had a great, dreamy smile. I realized when Julio was closing the door and looked to him with big eyes shaking my head. Even with the amout of effort I managed to gather, he still closed the door shut leaving the handome stranger and me alone in the car.

As he started the car, the only thing I could think of was, ‘Talk!’. Finally managing I remebered the basket and what my mother told me. I quickly took one of the pastries out pf the basket. “Belgian bun.”

“Sure.” He replied. When he proceeded to take it, our hands touched creating, a spark in the moment.

June 25, 2021 22:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.