2 comments

Fantasy

Dark clouds swirled overhead, and cold waves crashed against my face, pulling me back underwater. I coughed water from my mouth when I came back up. Crying for help was useless. Heavy rain poured down, loud enough to hide my voice.

My thick brown hair stuck to the side of my face and blocked my view of the island. I could make it. If only I could keep myself above these brutal waves.

Beneath the black water, my leg caught on something I couldn’t identify. I screamed as a hand wrapped around my leg and pulled me into the deep.

I took in a breath of the salty water, and my lungs filled. Agony wasn’t enough to describe the burning I felt. My body surrendered to the icy water, and my mind blanked.

The sand beneath me warmed my skin. The sun’s rays laid against my skin. It felt enhanced. I carefully drew myself to my feet, staggering to a rock for support. I was on the same island I tried so hard to reach before. What happened? How had I survived?

My lungs didn’t hurt like the night before. At least, I thought it had only been a night. But who knew how long I laid there? My throat didn’t even burn from swallowing the salt. I placed a hand at my throat, and my heart skipped. I was wearing a necklace.

I had no jewelry left. The ship’s crewmates had stolen every item of value I bore. 

I held up the pendant at the end to study it. It consisted of a solid blue orb crowned in silver. Nothing like I’d seen before, and definitely not my own.

“Can I help you?” The man that called spoke through a rich accent and had a clear, strong voice. I dropped the jewel and spun around.

I tucked my hair behind my ear and noticed the curls. Perfect, smooth curls sat on my shoulder where thick, sun-dried, salt-filled locks should have been.

Realizing I had ignored the handsome man’s question, I cleared my throat. “I… I’m a bit lost.” My voice came out like honey, slow, sweet, and steady.

“Are you a foreigner?” he asked, making his way down the beach to me.

I nodded. “Yes, I was a passenger on the Silver.”

He raised his thick black brows. “Really? You ride with pirates?” I couldn’t tell if his voice carried amusement or mock, or maybe it was a genuine question.

“I…” he watched me patiently as I stumbled over my words for a proper answer. “I got a good deal,” I said finally, adding a bit of light to my tone.

He smiled as if he had a secret. “It rarely is with them, but you’re pretty. Are you a Lady?”

I narrowed my eyes.

“A High Lady, I mean. From the palace, perhaps?”

I shook my head. 

His eyes then fell to my chest. His face dimmed. “Where’d you get that?" he asked, stepping closer to me.

“The necklace? I, It was-- is it yours?”

He practically choked. “Mine? You think I’d own such an evil artifact?”

I shook my head quickly, “No, certainly not. I, I didn’t know it was evil, you said?”

He nodded his head, then gripped the chain and pulled me towards him. “You should be dead,” he said in a grave tone. Shivers traveled up my spine. “Do you know what you are?” he shook me.

I bit my lower lip and tried to get away from his grip. Finally, I broke away and stumbled back into the rock. I shook my head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about; I’m just--”

“You’re a siren.”

A siren? No, that was impossible. I shook my head again. “I’m not. I’m a human. And sirens have tails, don’t they? And they sing. I can’t.”

His blackish eyes widened. “Please, don’t. Listen, that jewel is proof enough. You’re one of their Reborn.” I’d never heard of a Reborn before. Had this guy stayed up drinking?

“You’re a weapon. Do you know who threatens the mer-world?” He didn’t wait for me to respond. “Pirates. When young girls-- like yourself-- get thrown overboard, they’re rescued by mermaids and turned into Reborns. Their sirens. You could kill someone with your voice.”

The warm beach suddenly felt as cool as the water. I felt a tear slip down my cheek.

The man’s expression softened, and he moved closer to me. I tried to move farther from him, but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him in a warm hug. I felt an urge to pull away, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. “I’m sorry, this isn’t your fault.”

“I don’t know what to do,” I whispered.

“Just promise me you won’t use your voice.”

“I won’t.”

He stroked my hair in a way I’d never experienced. I didn’t know him-- didn’t even know his name-- but I felt safe in his arms. He knew what had happened to me. He could help. All I had to do was trust him, and I did. I wasn't sure why, but I did. Fully.

The stars that night shone in a way I’d never seen. Or maybe I’d never appreciated them enough. I sat at the edge of a cliff, the man from earlier-- his name was John-- sat beside me. Beneath us, waves roared with the light wind. The moon reflected off the water, providing a view twice as beautiful. Twiddling with the necklace in my fingers, I smiled-- this wasn’t a day I should’ve been smiling. I was a siren and could kill any man I desired if I dared sing a note-- but something felt better than two days before. I would be safe now. I could protect myself with ease. And something, fate perhaps, brought me to John. I knew him only barely, but something about the twinkling smile that hid in his eyes as he stared at the stars promised me a happy future.

March 05, 2021 04:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tricia Shulist
21:58 Mar 10, 2021

That was fun. I like the reborn slant on mermaids and sirens. There’s a lot of mystery surrounding John as well. And all the unanswered questions. When was this set? Did the protagonist change? Is she beholden to anyone. I liked it. Thanks.

Reply

Sabrey Moiraine
23:23 Mar 10, 2021

Thank you!! I'm glad you liked it!! I would love to explore this story a little more, maybe a novella or something!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.