Enjoy the Silence

Submitted into Contest #238 in response to: Set your story at a silent retreat.... view prompt

39 comments

Happy Funny Fiction

"Do they really expect us to climb that?" Karen—Kara, or maybe it's Erin?—asks, arms folded, staring up at the monstrous tree pegged with foot holds leading up to the timberline.


I follow her gaze, tracing the series of ropes and wooden steps scattering the trunks and branches high into the sky. We're only at the first course; I think they said the ropes elevated 25 feet at the start, 50 toward the end.


I shrug, unable to answer. Or unwilling. I guess it depends on your point of view.


You see, there's a difference between being at a silent retreat and being silent at a retreat. I signed up for this week of adventure under false pretenses. Advertised for introverts and INFPs like me, I was under the assumption it was going to be a week of together but solo activities. You know, like reading, but around other people... like at a library? Or maybe we'd go for a quiet walk in the woods or paint near the lake. The part of the brochure that I thought read "silent retreat" actually read "quiet retreat," apparently implying chill group activities; I got so excited for a week of silence that I didn't even read it twice. Or once, properly. My bad.


I'd have skipped the whole thing had I read the parts of the brochure that described the group activities, which were designed for introverts, helping us learn how to break out of our shells and interact with others—like climbing a ropes course 25 feet in the air—team building exercises inspired by corporate retreats and summer camps.


Before I arrived, I'd already told everyone in my life not to expect to hear from me, and I'd been greatly looking forward to an entire week of not speaking to a single person. When I got here and realized my mistake, that it was a whole week of organized group fun, I decided to stay, despite the false advertising, while still committing to the silence.


They were pretty nice about it at the front desk. I did my best to describe my intentions through a series of hand gestures, lest their attempts at communication continue unanswered. I got some cringy smiles, wide eyes, and awkward hand-wringing in response, but I vowed not to be a pain in the ass beyond that.


Karen, or Kara, or whatever her name is, eyes me before shrugging and walking off to find another introvert to bug. I don't think she's fully committed to the role, but that's just me. I watch her try to chat with someone else lingering near the small group, all staring up, intimidated by the tall trees in front of them. 


Of course, there's not a single ENTP in the group, not one person who stands out. Gary, a slightly round, balding man in glasses, stands off to the side. A small, shy girl who looks young enough to have been put up to this whole week by her parents hovers near the others, anxiously twisting her sleeves. A couple of other people, all middle-aged, looking uncomfortable in their own skin, stare upward, trying to determine how best to tackle the project.


Though I didn't officially announce I was silent to my peers—how could I?—the group organizers must have dealt with this kind of thing before because everyone adapted pretty quick. They either assume I'm mute, or maybe I'm not the first to mistake a 'quiet' retreat for a 'silent' retreat. Either way, silent or not, I'm the first they shove through the guided course, harnessed in, and hoisted up. The employees clap and shout while the rest of the group looks on anxiously.


I may have an aversion to people and organized group fun, but I enjoy heights. I climb each foothold, made easier by the rope threading my harness, stabilizing me from down below. The employee shouts instructions, and I listen and follow along. It's silent above the trees—bonus—and knowing I could fling my body off the tree and suspend in the air thanks to the safety harness is both liberating and exhilarating. I smile through the 25-foot steps up, working my way through the entire course, all the way up to the 50-foot suspension, which ends with one final challenge, crossing from one tree to another, both of which perch at the edges of a cliff.


I dismount when I reach the end of the course and sit on a rock next to a guide whose walkie-talkie likely informed her that the first person through, me, was a weirdo who'll stare blankly at any question asked, so she smiles and says nothing.


I can't figure out why this was designed as an activity to help introverts come out of their shell until I hear nervous shouting carry on the wind from the others. Their instructions to each other—pull higher, slow down, belay on!—it's all stilted, awkward, and uncomfortable. The forced interaction isn't necessary but obviously encouraged; that's how group activities work, after all, and, surprise, surprise: none of them seem to be enjoying this.


When the last of the group pulls through, there are muted cheers from the organizers and awkward back pats from the group. The retreat leaders clap excitedly, and we all follow them back to the lodge.


The rest of the week goes similarly. On a canoeing trip, two people per boat navigate together through the various streams off the main lake. Using a paper map, we were all to meet at a designated spot for a picnic. Gary chose me as his partner, and his relief at not having to talk was palpable. We managed to easily navigate the stream and trails through a series of pointing, some grunts, and head gestures from Gary, and we were the first to arrive.


Another afternoon, we paired up into groups of three, each tasked with finding a hidden basket of groceries or tools and collecting herbs growing along the trails in the woods using another paper map designed to make us communicate and work together. Once all the ingredients were collected, we followed the map through the woods to a designated location where each group arrived with a portion of the meal that we would cook together over an open fire.


I was bewildered. My peers argued with each other to work with me. Gary was ousted because we worked together during the canoe trip, so I ended up with Erin—her name was neither Karen nor Kara—and Mary, the young, shy girl I was shocked to find shoving her way through the others to be on my team. I've never been popular in my life, so it was a new experience.


The moment we set off on the trail, both women joined me in silence. We leisurely navigated our way through the trails, enjoying nature, plucking fresh rosemary from the designated patch, and finding our hidden basket, which held several loaves of bread.


We weren't the first group back, but we weren't the last, either. Erin, Mary, and I remained silent throughout the night, working as a group to prepare our last meal. Somehow, our silence took over, spreading throughout the rest of the group, and slowly, the other members of our adventure retreat grew quiet.


By the end of the night, the only sounds heard amongst the small group of introverts were the cicada's song in the trees, the crackling of the wood in the fire, and the sizzling of the meat on the cast iron pan.


No one spoke as we cleaned up. No one spoke as we packed the cooking materials and hiked back to the lodge. No one spoke as we separated into our rooms for the evening.


On the last day of the retreat, the organizers looked defeated. They stood in front of our rag-tag group of INFPs, all ages and sizes, colors and walks of life. We all smiled more than we had at the start. We were all quiet.


The organizer thanked us for a fantastic week. Jenna, the retreat leader, in her ribbed tank and ripped muscular arms, clasped her hands together and asked enthusiastically: Did we all enjoy our week of adventure? Did we learn any skills that might help us improve interacting and communicating with others?


It's probably not the answer she's looking for, but I think: Why yes, I did learn how to communicate with others. In fact, it required no speaking at all.


February 17, 2024 18:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Samara Minnow
09:26 Feb 26, 2024

People never seem to let introverts be introverts.

Reply

Hazel Ide
14:39 Feb 26, 2024

It’s true. :/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
14:44 Feb 26, 2024

I always say I'd like something like this and then my friends tell me I'd never get through a day because I always have something to run my mouth about. I don't think they realize that's just because they already know me, lol! Great story with a sweet message at the end for introverts who are tired of being "corrected" into being more chatty. I loved the contrast between the bold leaders and the quiet main character who also was a leader in her own way.

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:45 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks for the comment Rhondalise! I agree with your assessment completely! Sometimes being quiet is viewed as incorrect, which can be frustrating. Good luck with trying to do a day of silence! Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
15:21 Apr 22, 2024

This is a wonderful story and message as well as really smooth, lovely writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chad Eastwood
13:06 Feb 26, 2024

Yes! I agree completely with your protagonist!

Reply

Hazel Ide
14:40 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks Chad! Me too! Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:34 Feb 25, 2024

This all sounds scary as hell, but it was a great way to bring a bunch of introverts together. Loved how they found their own way of interacting and enjoyed their adventures while being peacefully together. I’ve often thought introverts can achieve more in their quiet way behind the scenes than extroverts. Imaginative response to the prompt.

Reply

Hazel Ide
17:55 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you for the thoughtful comments Helen! I love the idea of introverts quietly taking over. And I agree, I think in silence we can achieve quite a bit!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lydia Tyburski
22:43 Feb 28, 2024

very nice piece. I think you wrote very well about the topic.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
02:21 Feb 28, 2024

It is very difficult for extroverts to realize that being with others, even listening, but especially talking, is utterly exhausting to introverts. Thank you for highlighting this.

Reply

Hazel Ide
15:10 Feb 28, 2024

I agree completely. Thanks Trudy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
11:56 Feb 27, 2024

I love this take on the prompt, and the light you shine on the contrast between introverts and extroverts. Sometimes it's exhausting to be only around extroverts, introverts are great, they are a quiet force of their own.

Reply

Hazel Ide
15:17 Feb 27, 2024

Thank you so much! It can all be exhausting for introverts. I wonder if extros feel the same about intros? Someone else commented about how people always assume somethings wrong when an introvert prefers quiet and introspection, I wonder if that feeling of being bothered is its own kind of weight. Hmm. Anyway thanks :)

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
15:26 Feb 27, 2024

I am supposed to be an ENFJ, so an extrovert with intuitive characteristics, but even so, whenever I spend a full day with extroverts being a social butterfly I feel exhausted, like I need a couple of days on my own to recover haha. I love when I do hang out with my introvert friends, it's a totally different vibe, introverts rule :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Paul Simpkin
09:46 Feb 27, 2024

Clever idea. I like the way the story develops.

Reply

Hazel Ide
15:13 Feb 27, 2024

Thank you very much, Paul!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:36 Feb 25, 2024

I'm not much of a retreat person, but if there is one where you actually don't say anything but still do activities together, I could get on board with that. Thanks for the story!

Reply

Hazel Ide
02:15 Feb 26, 2024

I wholeheartedly concur. Thank you Kailani!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kayla Wikaryasz
03:35 Feb 25, 2024

Love that you payed homage to introverts -- the prompt definitely works well for that! I really liked your character, Gary. Would love to read a spin off of him sometime!

Reply

Hazel Ide
13:35 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you so much Kayla! Love you found the underdog amidst the other underdogs haha :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
17:45 Feb 24, 2024

This reminds us that there is not just one way to be a leader or hero - and your character was both. Love this tribute to introverts!

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:30 Feb 24, 2024

Thank you, Karen! It was definitely a tribute to introverts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Levi Vela
16:12 Feb 24, 2024

Wow, what a great story! I’m very excited to see what you come up with for future prompts.

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:30 Feb 24, 2024

Thank you so much Levi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:59 Feb 24, 2024

What a fun take on the prompt. Love how one person transformed the group into a truly silent retreat by the end - introverts unite! Thanks for sharing, Hazel.

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:29 Feb 24, 2024

Thank you Brianna! It was fun to write. Introverts unite! Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Sweeney
05:34 Feb 24, 2024

I enjoyed this story, It did a great job of showcasing how the world tries to get introverts to be extroverts. I'm currently reading an interesting book on this very topic - it's called "Quiet" and it's by Susan Cain.

Reply

Hazel Ide
15:40 Feb 24, 2024

Thank you Joe! I just looked up/read the jacket copy, it looks great, thank you for the recommendation!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
15:53 Feb 22, 2024

The silence sounds wonderful! Although my fear of heights would definitely kick in at the prospect of climbing those trees! Fun story, I enjoyed it a lot!

Reply

Hazel Ide
14:54 Feb 23, 2024

Haha, I understand, heights aren’t for everyone! Thank you Hannah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
22:39 Feb 18, 2024

Ha, what a fun premise :) Turning a misunderstanding in a pamphlet, into an actual silent retreat through sheer force of will. I feel for the staff though. It seems like they set out to help people, and they did end up doing so, but they don't recognize it. Maybe they need to go on a silent retreat themselves. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Hazel Ide
00:55 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you so much Michal :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:09 Feb 18, 2024

Loved this!

Reply

Hazel Ide
14:07 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you Melissa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
23:36 Feb 17, 2024

Hahaha ! The introverts take over ! Great job ! As usual, brilliant, rich descriptions.

Reply

Hazel Ide
00:56 Feb 18, 2024

Hahaa thanks Stella! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:39 Feb 17, 2024

Nothing to say here.

Reply

Hazel Ide
20:43 Feb 17, 2024

Hahaha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.