14 comments

Fiction Fantasy East Asian

It’s raining children and their lifeless bodies pile up on the side of the road. That’s the horrifying vision I see as I walk home along the tree-lined, majestic boulevard of Omotesando in Tokyo.

Last year, I contributed to raising millions for the Asian Children's Fund, but they choose not to spend any of it on helping starving children. Guilt plagues my soul, infiltrates my psyche. It wasn’t my crime, yet I was helpless to prevent it.

I approach the humble apartment building within which I live. The Okabe family eyes me suspiciously from their ground-floor windows. They own the building. The father feels it his civic duty to cast a stern gaze on me each time I enter. They have valid reasons to doubt me, so I simply look away.

This is my second year in Japan. It feels things can’t possibly get any worse. Three months ago it became clear the Asian Children’s Fund, which brought me to Japan and gave me a work visa, was a sham, so I quit.

Busy work days changed into endless, empty hours. One hobby of mine fills me with hope. On a backstreet of Harajuku, hidden behind the shops selling brand name goods, down a back alley past the lane packed with students buying accessories, lies a library. The modest library has two floors, not many chairs, nor many books. It’s visited only by students with textbooks, and old men seeking refuge. The book ends of adult society.

A library should accept everyone with open arms. But not me. I receive icy stares from the reception staff. I do my best to ignore them as I walk in wearing my heavy backpack.

A foreigner in a library of Japanese books, that’s why I don’t belong. To prove myself, I sit for hours reading a Murakami Haruki’s A Wild Sheep Chase, page by page in Japanese, meticulously translating each character with a very thick kanji dictionary.

In the novel, the main character is having a meeting with a mysterious man of infinite wealth. The rich man wants to locate a star marked sheep last seen in Hokkaido. He hints at the reason for his interest in his sheep, but I can’t make out the meaning.

Japanese has a fondness for long sentences. Vignettes told backwards through a chain of passive clauses with—following the rules of Japanese grammar—the verb at the end.

“As the sun sank below the horizon, at the park we had visited the year before, in a scene that would move the heart of most people, with the woman I was introduced to through my sister, we kissed.”

 I digress.

At the library, I can’t unjumble the words spoken by the character. Next to me, a high school girl in a student uniform sits solving equations in a math textbook. It’s firmly against social etiquette to talk to strangers in Japan, but the excitement of Murakami’s novel causes my tongue to slip away from me.

“This sentence,” I ask in broken Japanese, pointing my finger at a long paragraph. “Can you help me?”

“Me?” she asks, shaking her head as if a fly is buzzing in front of her face.

“Japanese grammar is much tedious,” I plead.

“Sorry. Sorry.” She bows her head at her textbook. She sweeps up textbooks, stands up, and moves to another table on the far side of the library.

I resign myself to missing out on the complicated plot point. Simple statements of fact, like what food the main character eats, who he meets, and so on, are, however, crystal clear. It’s often that way when learning a new language. A jumble of facts lacking a structure.

On the way back to my apartment, I pass the eternally empty Harajuku Imperial Train Station. In the past, the emperor would arrive by private train here to visit the nearby Meiji Shrine. The cedar lined lane is still well maintained and white fences project a feeling of Imperial greatness. 

It’s free entertainment and I’m living on 500 yen a day (about $5), to stretch out my remaining funds.

A crow, perched on the tall white fence, follows my movements. There’s an intelligence in his eyes, as if he’s seen me before. He will attack me next month, but I don’t know that yet.

The Emperor next comes here to pray for his country’s greatness. His story is empty. There’s a sadness at the heart of every defeated nation.

The next morning, I awake early and can’t return to sleep. The sun rises at 5am in Tokyo. I go out and wander the empty streets of Omotesando. A crew of workers in yellow uniforms blast the pavement clean with a high-pressure hose. They are invisible people. For each person in nice clothes out in the rat race during the daytime, there’s another person leading an invisible life toiling to keep the city running.

My last friend left in the city, Peter, has taken to a lifestyle of drugs. Arrest and deportation don’t align with my long-term goals, so we have drifted apart.

My only commitment that day is A Wild Sheep Chase. After stuffing myself at an all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch, I walk the path to the library.

Public spaces in Japan are filled with signs. In America, they are normally a long list of prohibited activities that read like lawyer’s documents. In Japan, signs are terse and to the point. 

Even foreigners can understand:

Don’t get hit by a car.

Don’t throw out garbage.

Smoking prohibited.

Don’t feed the animals.

Behind the last sign, standing in the bushes, an older woman is laying out a tray of pet food. Stray cats surround her, watching expectantly. The woman spots me watching and jolts in embarrassment. I smile, indicating that I’m simply curious. She smiles back and bows. It’s the first gesture of approval I’ve received in weeks.

Too young to spend time in parks feeding cats, is what I think of myself. The world beckons me to make my mark, so I return to translating my Japanese novel in the library. I take a seat facing away from the girl I talked to the day before. 

In A Wild Sheep Chase, the protagonist is still holed up in a cabin in Hokkaido, spending his days looking for a magical sheep, and surviving on the canned sardines and beer he finds in storage. Not so different from me.

The next day, I see the first hint of pink emerge from the cherry blossoms. I’m feeling more optimistic. An SMS arrives from Chris, the director of the Asian Children’s Fund. “Do you have time for a beer tomorrow?” He is surely paying, so I agree, staying noncommittal in case anything else comes up. It doesn’t.

I never tell Chris the charity he runs is a scam. He must know already and have found a way to live with it. Also, he appears to hold an uncle-like affection. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

To be honest, it wasn’t the charity being a sham that was the problem. It was giving speeches: Before public speaking, my hands would turn white, and my forehead break out in a cold sweat. On one Thursday, when I was to give a one-hour talk at the International Children’s Conference, I called in sick. Not knowing how to explain it, I emailed in my resignation the next day.

The director gave the speech in my place. It was always easy for him to jump on stage and talk about helping children for an hour, and all the amazing people he’s worked, and receive a standing ovation. Yet, he rarely left the office.

Chris is waiting at the expensive yakitori bar with a drink in his hand, Rolex on. He removed it on duty. When he talks about helping impoverished children, especially those in Communist countries. It’s all part of the narrative, he says, expanding US influence in the region.

After a few beers, Chris tells stories as usual of his days at the US embassy, doing back door deals and cultivating favors with the ruling party. 

After a few more beers, Chris has exhausted his repertoire of good stories and I need to return home before the trains stop. I see the light on behind the curtains of the Okabe family, but no one peers out. 

Last month, my washing machine overflowed and flooded their entire apartment below me.

I wake feeling depressed. Chris has done big things, I never will. There is no possible way to get from where I am to working at the Embassy, or even working for another international NGO again.

Looking at the green color of the Yamanote train flashing past, I recall reading how many people jump in front of the train, at least one every week.

I see a vision of each with i. their student uniform or carrying their briefcase. Some don’t even have a reason, just an impulse to jump.

Something is wrong with me. I need to snap myself out of this.

When I first arrived in Japan, I visited Meiji shrine and prayed for good luck. Something you do as a tourist. It’s irrational, but I will go back there. I’m out of options.

On the wide gravel path to the shrine, the sky is heavy with cloud, and very few people walk to the shrine, buried deep within the forest of tall cedars.

In front of the altar, I close my eyes and seek guidance, a direction to be sent on, a path to where I belong.

Thunder cracks, followed by a downpour of heavy rain outside. The pattering of rain on the wood roof above is memorizing. Lacking an umbrella, I wait for the rain to subside. It intensifies. My attention shifts to a movement on the ground — frogs. Their numbers grow. Out of nowhere, frogs are falling out of the sky.

I watch with fascination until there is a break in the downpour. I close and reopen my eyes.

The multitude of green frogs hop towards the bushes. I watch them scatter.

Soon, they are gone.

With nothing else to do, I decide its time to go for lunch.

“Scotto-san,” the manager of the local ramen shop says. “Welcome back.”

I’m surprised as his friendly greeting, but I recall mentioning my name to him a few weeks ago. 

“Thank you very much.” I bow slightly and pull out a chair at the counter.

“How are you today?” he asks, using the standard Japanese greeting.

“Job. I’m seeking one.”  

“Is that so?” 

“Yes. It is so.”

He picks up a mobile phone and makes a call. He laughs loudly, and has a brief conversation, the gist of which I can not follow.

“Kano-san is coming over,” he says with a confident, toothy grin. 

A few minutes later, a middle-aged sturdy looking man arrives.

“I heard you are looking for a job,” he says. “Don’t worry! I will take care of you!”

He doesn’t know me, so I find this a curious offer.

He used to be in the yakuza, he says. The Japanese underworld. Having spent his days threatening to slash people to repay their debts, managing a coffee shop is a breeze. 

On his face, a peaceful smile reveals no inclination towards violence. 

I feel nothing is strange in this world any longer. I accept his offer. If he still is in the yakuza, at least I’ll be protected.

A week later, I loudly announce, “Omatase! Cappuccino desu!”

To a couple on a date at the Harajuku Raccoon Cafe, I present two perfect cups of cappuccino.

Victorious, I bow deeply.

March 02, 2024 02:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

13:16 Mar 02, 2024

Love it. Lots i am familiar with. If there is an autobiographical element here I share it. The hours I spent in a library learning kanji. Literally a full year, all day while kids were in creche/school. Had my own brief yakuza runin and it terrified me so I ran away quickly Regarding murakami. Have you read the wind up bird chronicle ? The closest thing to a dream in words Ive ever read Enjoyed this story Scott

Reply

03:43 Mar 04, 2024

Hey Derrick, yes this was based on my first year in Tokyo living in harajuku without much money or stuff to do back in the 90s. I'd walk around and be virtually the only foreigner there back then. Sometimes I'd see "johnny walker" who had some cool art parties and actually got mentioned in a later Haruki Murakami book. My plot didn't quite come together, so more of a Murakami-like scene really. The yakuza controlled all the night life districts back then and charged protection money, even to gaijin bars in roppongi. they beat up a cowork...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
02:13 Mar 05, 2024

This is such an immerse experience and one many ex-pats can relate to. Feeling like you'll never fit in and then somehow you do. It's a small victory. I felt nostalgic reading the part about learning a new language because I fear that with technology, in the near future, no one will study languages anymore because the tech will be so good, there will be little reason to study verb tenses, grammar and the like. But on a positive note, maybe people will spend more time studying other aspects of unfamiliar cultures and especially the people the...

Reply

02:54 Mar 05, 2024

Thanks Wally, edits like those are a huge help! I put these stories through layers of grammar checkers, and then sadly tinker around with them after putting them up on Reedsy (usually deleting lots of "telling") and make grammar mistakes all over again! I understand what you mean about technology. On the other hand, it might help us focus more on content if the tech can handle much of the writing for us. Things are changing so quickly right now!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
07:01 Mar 05, 2024

I can so relate to that. I am a tinkerer too. Always feel I could do something different, better. Of the stories I've submitted, I think only one got turn in more than an hour before the deadline and most of them are just a few minutes before the deadline. Then I continue to edit...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Adriana Bazan
06:02 Mar 04, 2024

I really got pulled into your story, feeling that whole outsider vibe and the struggle to fit in. The way you described Tokyo and the emotions was spot on. Maybe giving a bit more backstory to some of the other characters could make things even richer, but honestly, it’s already pretty awesome as is.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
05:25 Mar 03, 2024

Tough adjusting to new culture.

Reply

03:43 Mar 04, 2024

Thanks for reading Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:32 Mar 02, 2024

Scott, this was lovely. This really resonates with me as someone who has "Learn three of the four main Latin-based languages" in her bucket list (and has reached quite an advanced level in French). The painstaking hours of trying to drill words in your brain, of sentences starting to make sense little by little -- yep, been there, done that, will do it again. Hahaha ! Beautiful imagery, as per usual. Great job !

Reply

03:48 Mar 04, 2024

Thx for reading Stella! Sounds like you totally get the urge to learn a foreign language, and if we just try a little bit harder, we will achieve "fluency" haha. I spent a month in Italy a few years ago and wanted to give the language a go (they are such chatty friendly people), but then the introduction to Italian I read showed me the dozen ways to conjugate a verb and I surrendered to the easier option of learning a few useful phrases. As with everything i assume grammar becomes easier the more you use it. In Japanese, I stopped trying ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:57 Mar 04, 2024

Thank goodness that in Latin-based languages (at least, in the four most popular ones), the sentence structure is almost always the same as English, so I had no problems on where to place the verb (It's in the same place as it would be in English). Also, I guess it's because French "called" me from childhood, so I always swore to myself that I would learn it. I had to learn Mandarin for a year in university (In my university, instead of a first come-first served system for enrollment, they gave us a computer-generated random number as our ...

Reply

04:12 Mar 04, 2024

I totally understand, I'm taking a mandarin class right now and not making much progress. Everything sounds the same and the pronounciation is unfamiliar, and they don't "borrow" english and romance language words like most other languages do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
17:00 Mar 05, 2024

Very nice read. Always intriguing to learn of life in another country. The different customs. Tough times to adjust to a new way of life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hannah Lynn
03:04 Mar 05, 2024

Thanks for giving me a glimpse into such a different culture!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.