0 comments

Adventure

Just One Flip

“Was this your brilliant idea?” I glance up at my sister, whose eyes are glued to the silver coin.

   Dani’s optimistic demeanor doesn’t dim with my words, “Yes, it was actually. This is our last resort, our last chance.”

    “We hit our last resort, resorts ago. Dani, a coin isn’t going to help me get this job.” I rest my chin in my hand and watch the steam float from my latte. I couldn’t stay in the house any longer with my thoughts, so I dragged Dani to the coffee shop.

   “Have a little trust in me Evie. It’s a coin flip, the worst thing that’ll happen is we flip it and you never get the job.” I pretend not to notice her words that overshadow her kind sentiment. Dani passes the dime to me and the glint from the sun is almost like magic.

   “Fine. Ready, one—two—three.” The dime flips once, twice,— A figure crashes into our table. Coffee flies in the air, Dani screams, and hot liquids burns my arm. When the scene finally settles, I observe our space.

   The boy, who appears about ten, has tears clouding his eyes. Dani stares horrified at the stain on her beige bag. I can even almost hear the sigh from the employee inside who saw the whole event take place. 

   “I’m so sorry!“ The boy picks up our spilled cups, crinkled napkins, and the dime.

   “It’s alright, but be more careful in the future.” I say and the child offers me a quick nod before speeding off on his skateboard.

   Dani scoops up napkins from the table and pats her bag dry. “We didn’t even get to flip the coin yet and it already decided our fate. One that contributed to the attempted murder of my purse at that.”

   “That wasn’t the coin’s doing, it was only a boy who made a mistake.” I hop up from my seat. “Come on, let’s pay and leave. We’ve made quite the scene.”

   Dani roots through her bag and places five dollars on the table. “Y’know there’s a park nearby. We could flip the coin in the fountain and make a wish.”

   “If that’ll bring you some peace, then so be it. I’ll call a cab.”

   Dani goes on endless rambles on our ten minute ride. My sister is someone who time and time again proves to me how much a person can say in six hundred seconds. I hardly heard a word she said though, I’m dreading my interview. The job is an internship at Maroon Designers, my dream fashion company. I’ve wanted to work there since before I could even pronounce the word maroon. If that doesn’t show commitment, I’m not sure what does. It’s twelve o’clock and the interview is at six. I’ve been worried about it all morning, and somehow I’ve gotten to the point of depending on a coin. It’s a new low for me.

   We step out of the cab and I attempt to breath in the fresh air, but quickly remember we live in the city. I’m not breathing fresh air, more like authentic air.

   “Let’s go to the fountain,” Dani grasps my hand and she weaves us through people in the park. “Coming through, a wish is about to be made!” Others watch as our quick footsteps repeatedly hit the gravel. We’re both in heels, but that doesn’t slow us. If I don’t focus on the shoes, I won’t trip. Hopefully.

   Dani’s heaving by the time we reach the fountain. “I should really start doing cardio again.” Despite her breathing, she’s still ecstatic. Dani unzips her bag and pulls out the dime. She hands it to me.

   I turn it around in my fingers, and gaze down at my reflection in the water. This’ll work out, it has to. I wish—

   “Evie, run!” I jump at Dani’s voice and the snarling dog coming straight for us. There are many things I have a tendency to run from in life, bad friends, black coffee, an endless pit, and dogs. Especially dogs that chase you through a park.

   I take off behind Dani, the dime clutched in my hand. I go left, Dani goes right. The dog falters for a moment before following me. Great. My heels don’t slow my speed but they do make it hard to not trip over the larger bits of gravel. The dog is at my heels now and I do the only thing I can. Climb a tree. The closest tree has a small bench underneath. I leap onto the bench and use the branch to pull myself up. The dog leaps on its heels and barks relentlessly.

   A young man comes running from around the corner, a broken leash dangling from his hand. “Barker, come here.” The dog responds immediately and goes back to their owner. “I can’t believe he got off the leash, I apologize.”

   I try to laugh like I wasn’t just scared for my life, but it comes off as awkward as I feel. I’m positive there’s a leaf in my Afro and a dirt stain on my blouse accompanying the latte spill. “It’s fine.” It’s not. “The dog didn’t bother me.” The tree speaks otherwise.

   “I apologize again.” He clicks his tongue, him and the dog stay in my sight before they turn the corner.

   It takes me a while to find Dani, but eventually I do. She’s bought a hot dog from a vendor and seems to be chatting his ear off. She spots me when she reaches into her bag to pay the guy. “I was worried, I thought the dog got you.”

   I glare at the hot dog in her hands then her, “Oh, yes. I can imagine you were terrified.” I look down at my heels and resist wincing when I see the dirt on the tip. “Want to head back to the fountain?”

   She finishes chewing her hot dog before answering, “Of course not. The fountain has proved to be unreliable and rooting for your downfall.”

   “I don’t think it’s that extreme.” I say and Dani wipes her hands off on a napkin.

   “Well, it is. I have a better place we can go.” Dani’s eyes sparkle before she grabs my hand and we’re leaving the park. 

***

   Dani won’t tell me where we’re going, but I see it when we pull into the parking lot. The Ridgewood Planetarium sign floats above us and rock music plays from the speakers. 

   Dani waves to the taxi driver as he pulls out of the parking spot. I tap her on the shoulder, “Why are we here?”

   She claps her hands, “You are going to wish on a star, and since it’s the middle of the afternoon you’ll do it in the planetarium.”

   I fold my arms as we make our way closer to the door, “You want me to wish on a fake star?”

   Dani huffs, “C’mon Evie, where’s your hope?”

   “With the dog who made me question my survival for a few minutes.”

   “You’re so dramatic.” Dani loops her elbow with mine and heads inside the planetarium.

   Though I’m getting tired of running around town, I can’t deny how fascinated I am with this place. The walls are painted an iridescent blue with tiny silver stars. The light fixtures are made to resemble planets and the employees' uniforms mimic space suits.

After wandering around for a few minutes, we find the visionary room. The show is already occurring, yet there aren’t that many people here. In fact, there’s only two, besides us. A mom and her baby sitting in the back. The baby stares up at the ceiling, watching the Milky Way swirl.

   Dani eases into a seat in the front and I follow suit. After a few minutes of watching the planets orbit the sun, stars begin to glimmer around the room. They start off tiny, then slowly expand. The little shards of lights continue to grow until vanishing. Finally, a star from the right side of the room flies across the ceiling. It reminds me of a dance the way they leap through the sky.

   Dani shakes my shoulder, “Make the wish.”

   I shut my eyes and imagine the scene. Surrounded by the interview room walls, my future boss staring me down, even the faint smell of lavender is present.

   I wish— A baby’s cries fill the room. “It’s okay, calm down.” The mother’s soft voice does nothing to soothe the baby. She continues to cry to the point they become screams. Right then, the lights turn on. The sudden light stings my eyes.

   I hear static from above and peer up at the ceiling. “Thank you for coming to the show, please exit in an orderly manner. Our next show is at seven o'clock.”

   “Are you kidding me?”  Dani whispers, or at least tries to whisper, she pretty much yells in my ear.

   I check the time on my watch and see the arms tick to five o’clock. “Dani, we’ve gotta go back home. My interview is in an hour and I need to change.” Seeing the latte stain on my blouse hurts almost as much as when the beverage spilled on me.

   “We should try at least one more time.” She jumps from her seat and tugs me up behind her.

   “We don’t have time. I have to get back home and get ready.” Dani's expression drops at my words, but I she seems to except it.

   “I’ll call another cab. Let’s get to this interview.”

***

   Our drive home is going fine until we reach a car wreck. I inspect the truck and van, seeing that nothing has been damaged too badly. The drivers stand outside of their vehicles, no injuries as far as I can tell. The way the cars are turned, they block the middle of the road. Unfortunately, there’s no way we can get around.

   “How long do you think we’ll be stuck here?” I ask Dani, whose eyes don’t stray from what’s happening outside.

   “Shhh—i'm trying to hear.” She rolls the window down and leans her head out.

   I pull her back, “Would you stop being so nosy.”

   She groans as she rolls the window back up, “You’re no fun sometimes y’know that? As for the wait, maybe twenty minutes.”

   I watch the clock in the car move again.

   Thirty minutes.

   There’s no way I have time to get home and then to the interview in time. “Excuse me,” The driver turns his head to look at me. “Can we head back around? I need to go to Maroon Designers.” He only nods and begins to turn the car around.

   “You’re heading to the interview now?” Dani scans over me, “You’ve got all kinds of stains on your clothes, your heels are dirty, and there’s a miniature forest i    n your hair.” She plucks out the auburn leaf.

   I glare at her and her eyebrows scrunch, “I’m only saying what I see.”

   “Anyway, It’s better to be a mess than be late.”

  “Speak for yourself.” Dani’s never been good at hiding skepticism.

***

   Traffic is the bane on my existence. Cars honk to no avail, people yell to one another from the barriers of their windows, and I complain until we get moving again. It’s a cycle and I don’t think it’ll be over till my dying days.

   “I’m never going to make it.” All the vehicles surrounding me create this suffocating air and the clock isn’t helping.

   “You’re wrong about that one Evie. We’re getting there on time.” Dani opens her side door and I jump at the loud noise. She hops out of the car and leans against it. “Well, are you coming?”

   I scoot across the seats, “You’re insane.” It’s odd stepping onto the road, but before I can comment, Dani shuts the car door and runs off She guides us between cars until we reach the sidewalk.

   I stand on my toes and peer over the vehicles. The Maroon Designers building is right around the corner, five minutes away. The interview is in ten minutes, I can make it. I take off down the street, I know Dani is behind me. She always is. I walk across the footpath on the road and keep going.

   The building looms over me. Windows reflect the clouds on every floor and I can see the shiny hardwood inside. Right before I pull on the door, Dani catches my elbow.

   “Wait,” She unzips her purse. “Don’t forget your lucky coin.”

   I chuckle as she drops it in my palm, “This coin did anything but bring me luck.”

   Dani shrugs, “You got something better, an adventure. Also a day out with your favorite sister.”

   I won’t dampen the mood by telling her she’s my only sister.

   “Good luck. I’m going to go find an ice cream stand.” She skips off and I can’t help but think how much she tried to help me today. I should buy her another purse.

   The waiting is always one of the worst parts of an interview. I walked inside and everyone stared at me, heck they’re still staring. Have they never seen a girl with coffee on her top?

   “Evie Wilkins, you’re up.” I shake my nerves and head to the back.

   The room is exactly how I imagined and more. There’s a silver and pale pink theme throughout. Chandeliers shimmer from above, the furniture is covered in some kind of white fur, and some light jazz music plays from who knows where.

   I open my palm and inspect the dime. It hasn’t been properly flipped or wished on all day. I turn it in my hand and toss it in the air. One, two, three, it clatters on the table. Heads up. 

   I tense up when the door swings open. I swipe the coin from the desk and grip it in my fingers. A woman comes strutting through the door and grins as she sits down. She falters when she takes in my appearance, but then her eyes light up.

   “How did you do it?” Astonishment carries her voice.

   “Do this?” I gesture to my outfit. “It’s a long story.”

   “You’ve guessed our fashion line before we’ve even started it. I’m amazed.” She crosses her arms, “Tell me, how would you feel about working here?”

   “It would be an honor.” I reach out to shake her hand, but when I release it I see it was the hand the coin was in. It’s gone, it could be on the floor. Though, as Dani would say it’s become a star that’ll shine before I close my eyes tonight.

THE END

January 14, 2023 00:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.