0 comments

People of Color Holiday

My name is Adam, I live on an island. You probably think that I am the luckiest person. The blue ocean that sparkles, the sun that shines for hours, the sand that's warm, and the fresh warm air. The only thing is that it’s not like what you think. For people who lived here for years… let me rephrase that. For a 21 year old man who has lived in the island of Tahiti, you would know that, food and attractions like the yearly carnival are so expensive that the actual residents of Tahiti can’t actually afford it. Food is really expensive in some parts, which are mostly due to the reason that a lot of tourists visit those areas.  I guess it's fine because the people who can afford to live in that area are rich and can afford those prices. People like myself live on the other side of the island. The highest paying job is for men who own a vehicle and can deliver the fruits and vegetables grown on our side of the island to the other side. I just think it unfair that we break our backs every day and night for us to not even be allowed to have any.  On our side only a few people come to visit. 

 Our side is mostly filled with labour but there is one place that we take really good care of. It is the one place where we feel like the other side. The water is clearer than glass, when the sun shines the place looks like it is straight from heaven. The white sand is so soft and warm, the trees that you can climb for hours and still not reach the top. There is something at that magical place that makes it better than the other side,and that thing is that it is built by love and not economy. Whenever tourists end up finding the spot we make sure they don’t litter and don’t ruin the place. Then after they have left we all go and clean up their mess and rake the sand. 

                {I was standing by the airport with teary eyes thinking about all this.}

 That magical place is where I had all my birthday parties. My dad had died while I was young but all I remember of him was that on my birthday he would call everyone we knew to meet up at the beach. He was the first person dancing and the last one who would stop. He was the light bulb in the darkness. Then the light in the darkness was gone when he died of a stroke. We renamed that beach to his name. Raimana Beach, “Raimana'' was my dad’s name and it meant “Spirit of heaven”.  He owned up to his name, that man was an angle, he was so loving and caring. After he died, everyone he knew was determined to live our best and happiest lives that he never got to fully live. 

 Now… our side was invaded by the others and most of us are homeless due to the prices being too high. Everything has changed. The beach’s name wasn’t changed though, but the love that was put into taking care of it was gone.  Three men went to jail from our side while protesting to keep the name the same. Two were so badly injured during the protest that one is dead and one is paralyzed. I was one of the men who went to jail. In jail I realized this isn’t a place I want to live at anymore

 I am the head of the family now, and my mom told me to decide if we should live here or move to Canada. Canada was our only option because before my dad had died. There had been a time like this, where the other side came and we had an option to stay under the others rule or move. My dad got us a visa for Canada but he went first to get settled before we could go, but he died a couple nights after he had gone to Canada. So,we stayed in Tahiti and protested against the other side and won. We still had the visa for another 2 years and I thought now is a good time for us to move.I love Tahiti but I loved MY Tahiti, not THIS Tahiti. I know it was going to be tough in Canada but it would be worse here. 

 After our decision I gave our landlord a two months notice, and started to pack up and buy essentials we would need in Canada. A lot of you are probably wondering why we dislike the other side. I will tell you why, we never had “sides” we just lived our lives. Then when tourists started coming they came to the area with more beaches and more scenery. People who lived closer to these beaches got better jobs and more chances on a better education due to the economic benefits. The food, land and culture started changing on that side. Some people moved to our side but no one from our side could go and afford the prices there. We ended up losing more of our lands and cultural sites so that they could build tourist attractions. We had to work for companies from the other side and our land had been divided. The actual term for the two different sides are Modern and Origin. 

 While I was telling you the backstory I realized we were almost about to land in Canada. I could see the snowy ground, as I took a deep breath before starting to organize everything around me. I then heard the fasten your seatbelt. My mom and siblings were behind me and some in front. I fastened my seatbelt and made sure everyone had too. I knew that the minute I got on that ground life would be tough. Hours of labour just to keep a roof over my families head. I had found an apartment with two bedrooms. That was the only thing we could afford and the 6 of us had no way of having our own privacy but it was a luxury from our no bedroom one bathroom complex. A friend of mine who had left 2 years ago had found me and my brothers a place to work at a factory and had found my mom and sisters work at restaurants as waiters and cleaners. MY first shift was in less than 24 hours and I hadn’t even landed in Canada. 

 We slowly made our way up the elevator to our apartment, this country was freezing but polite.

Our room seemed so big and bright to us but we quickly changed and went outside to see the sand for the first time. The white snow sparkles, the sun shines bringing a little warmth, the snow is cold, and the fresh sharp cold air that refreshes your body in seconds. The freshness of the air is peaceful, the silence is calming, the sun shining without burning you, and the snow making everything look like a winter wonderland. 

 This was paradise with a twist. 

March 03, 2021 00:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.