0 comments

Thriller Mystery Crime

Pod, don’t touch anything, and I do mean ‘anything’, until James come here. Said Lewis while calling James, he added (to James). Hey James, I’m Lewis (hey Lewis, why do you sound so serious?). A robbery happened at my bakery, someone broke in and I need your help, can you come here?? (Yes, yes, I’ll see you in half hour, I’m leaving right away.) Thanks please come.

               Pod asked in his confusion, what are we doing Lewis till James find his way here. Nothing, just ensure no one enters the bakery and we both should not leave. He is an expert investigator and I know that this will all sort out. And yes do tell me whatever you think is missing and misplaced, or maybe make a list of it. Lewis answered.

               James arrived at the bakery, which is at a location neither entirely in the city nor completely outside. As he arrived he could sense the tension in the bakery and outside it already. Lewis took a breath of calmness upon seeing him in the bakery and said, James I need your help, tell me what should I do now? Lewis, just be calm, we will sort this out very soon, have you called the police yet? No, not yet. Okay then do that quickly and tell them about break in and I’m not an investigator for them, they won’t like me coming between their works. Okay, it’s done now what are we doing now? Now, let first police do their work, we will do our work once they have seen this place carefully. Till then tell me about whatever is missing and where he entered from. Lewis called Pod and asked Pod did you made the list I asked you to make? Lewis not really, I mean I have figured out what’s missing but it is only one item. Okay tell me what is it, cash, stock, or something else? Lewis just stay calm, James is here to help us and Police is on its way to help us too; umm it’s our secret ingredient. Lewis what secret ingredient, asked James. (James starts panicking and sweating, he starts walking fore and too.)  James we can’t tell police about this ingredient, they can possibly leak it and it is the reason of our delicious, special and unique cakes. No Lewis, do not worry about it, we have our right to privacy and we can even sue police to court if they do not respect our right. Okay, I am not supposed to tell you this but it was a essence, actually a blend of a few essences, all hand-made and made with original ingredients, purest one can find. In a cake the eater cannot really guess the essence but if one have this he should be able to make one copy of it, maybe of lower grade and poor quality but he can, James we don’t have much time to find the thief.

               Police arrived at their door step unnoticed due to the heat of the moment; luckily they have just arrived and have not listened to their talk. Police interrogated the case and wrote a report. The next thing police did was to tell us to fix the broken doors to insure protection against further theft. James already told this to Lewis, but asked him to wait until police saw the damage. When police asked about any suspicion I had, I got all blanked out. It doesn’t seem to me that anyone I know could do something like this. I don’t have any clear enemy, so the only ones I and the police and James can believe to be a part of this theft were my rival bakery owners, all of them fall under direct suspicion. Soon during the investigation police found out about the only missing thing, the essence. James remembered the police about keeping it a secret as it may affect the bakeries position in the market.

               James can you go with the police to help them through the case; I’ll stay here to fix the damage and yes call me anytime if you find out anything said Lewis. Lewis then took photographs of the scene, the broken door and the broken safe and got them repaired. He filed a claim for the loss he incurred. After a lot of research and gazing their eyes at the screen James and Police finally found something suspicious or say interesting for the people in their profession. The cameras on street caught someone entering into the bakery with force but he was away from the camera so his face was not clear and the layer of mask on his face added to the confusion in this vague situation. The police figured the person’s profile but it only consisted of his height that too approx. anything they knew except this was the time of break-in, 3 AM in the morning. The police began its interrogation with the top most bakeries and James secretly began with the unnoticed ones. The top bakeries easily denied the fact that they may be involved in a case of theft and the bakeries James visited were showing no signs too.

               After a week past Lewis was losing hope and James was doing no great then the police but he took the lead with one idea, if Lewis knew the essence so bad why not taste cakes from every bakery. Lewis started doing so and he got fed up of eating cakes all day but it was his only hope so he continued to do so. Day spent after day and now only a handful bakeries were left to taste cake from and at this day, at the end of the second week after robbery the first cake James brought for Lewis to try tasted exactly the same as Lewis’s cake, he knew it was his essence that brought this flavor to the cake but it cannot be proved just by his mere assumption so police and James both separately interrogated this bakery owner and he was the one to be found guilty.

               He denied that he had learned the recipe to make a similar essence but in reality he was very well aware of the essence’s contents. After he serves his sentence in jail he is going to seek vengeance from Lewis surely.

December 09, 2020 16:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.