0 comments

Romance

Twenty minutes before my marriage, I find my mother and my fiancé kissing passionately.

It all seems like a Hollywood nightmare. It was almost unbelievable and I even tried to reason it out for my mom and Jack. But no excuse seems reasonable. The man of my dreams for almost four years and twenty minutes to our wedding. It all falls like a house of cards.

If you were me, what will you do?

I met Jack at University in my final years. It was almost like a dream come through when I met him. He was saintly, almost black like the coffee teal. His eyes elliptical like almond, middled with black eyes. His mouth always dripping with honey when he spoke. I was always in dreams when I talked with him. I guess that was when I overlooked who he was. It was when I failed to see him as humans. Rather like an angel.

I saw no cracks or things. Even after he continuously postponed the topics of our marriage every time. I still didn't feel anything wrong. He was said in that his sexy baritone voice. "Let give our time to be well prepared for this opportunity." I was always willing to go with him. 

During our five years. I always got a spiff of another woman. But it always seems like an image of my own imagination and anytime, my objections come, again in that sweet voice. "Why waste your elegant voice on such a downtrodden topic. What can't I find in you, that I would be looking for in others." On and on. My ego satisfied. I saw no loopholes. 

After University, he got a great job in our hometown but I, unfortunately, got a job in another town. So we could not connect for long hours. Anytime I called my Mom. She would always say Jack was not like other boys, he always came t our house. I foolishly never asked her, for what? Although she was a single mother after divorcing three men. But I also still foolishly thought she was born-again, from why her first three husbands had left her.

I came on fortnight weekends. And things will go smoothly and I would say how sweet he is and my mother will nod approvingly, right under my nose. I never felt anything new from him. But I guessed I was so used to increasingly uninterested that his new behavior seems just normal to me.

While I was away, he sent poems like:

"I promise to always lift you up

When you are feeling down.

I promise to wipe your tears

When you feel you need to cry.

I promise to keep you smiling

To show off that beautiful smile you have.

I promise to be your strength

Whenever you fall weak.

I promise to be your voice

When you can't find the words.

I promise to be your eyes

When you cannot see.

I promise to be your ears

When you cannot hear.

I promise to always tell you what's real

When you want to hear the truth.

I promise to be your dream catcher

To chase away your every fear.

I promise to be your smile

When you're frowning.

I promise to always cheer you up

When you are down and blue.

I promise to give you faith

When you are feeling insecure.

I promise to keep you sturdy

When you are feeling unsafe.

I promise to listen

When you need to talk.

I promise to tell you no lies,

Just what is true.

I promise to always lend you my shoulder

For when you need to cry.

I promise to always hold you

When you need someone.

I promise to always care for you.

Wherever you are, I promise to always be there.

I promise to never hurt you and never break your heart.

I can't promise you the world.

I can't promise you the sky.

I can't promise you that we will never fight.

I can't promise you that I will never cry,

But I can promise you that I will always be true to you,

And baby, I promise that I will always love you more than anything

With all my heart.

No matter what happens or what we go through.

I'll love you until the end of time!

I'll be your guardian angel.

That's my promise to you!"

To Me. I was always warmhearted. That he remembered me, gave me joy.

One day, after I arrived and my mom was not around. Something happened. After stripping, my mom entered my room

"Oh, God!"She had started. "What the hell are you two doing?"

"Mom! we went to the swimming coaching class. "And ?" She had asked

"Actually we both were practicing CPR procedure." I lied. She bit the bait. "What’s that ?" "It’s a situation when lungs lack oxygen and you have to give mouth to mouth in order to make the other one alive." I lied again. Jack with an amused face. "Hmm… But why you both are stripped to undergarments?"

"Actually, we were stripped in order to make the whole situation realistic." I was hating myself that day. "Hmm….Okay, now enough of this. Jumoke goes and gets the pestle in the mortar." "For what?"

"Just do it!" As I was about to leave. Already out of view but not hearing. I heard "Actually I also want to learn this CPR." I was dumb-struck but still felt it was an ordinary joke. but no I regret it was not.

After a lot of pesterings, we set our wedding for my 30th birthday. It was going to be the best day of my life. I had everything prepared. Everything!

My mom was like I was too overbearing and too eager. I killed off the idea in my heart because I wanted nothing to affect my joy. Nothing!

My seeing them was a twist of fate. I was so pressed with joy that I wanted to use the guest toilets far away from the rumble in my bedroom's toilet. It was there I saw them. So deep in the kiss, he never gave me.

I took the nearby stick and hit him hard on the head. Continuously and furiously with no fear. Until the families divided us.

I cursed! Never Again, would I marry a man.

July 30, 2020 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.