Chasing dreams is changing life

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

36 comments

General

"this is not the way how I want to live ,this is not the way how I want to feel it anymore",one day I woke up and said this to myself. I looked into the mirror and really wondered myself that how am I living? I thought "my life is without any motto where I am just left with killing my childhood dream and what I expected from my life never got that. I am just living a life killing my innerself and taking breaths without happiness." I sat down recalling my childhood memories . When I was 5 years old I saw a police officer as a cheif guest in our school function and when I returned back home and asked my dad about him and he replied that " it's very much proud moment to be a police officer" and then I asked him that who can be a police officer? Can I be? He replied that" yes anyone , you have to clear an exam and here you are as A Police Officer." From that day I always wanted to be a police officer and when I was child I was always searching the moment to behave as a officer. Making guns of paper was my regular fun and how stubborn I was for having a boy haircut. I was single child of my parents and too a girl. I used to always ask my dad that why am I not having any brother? He always used to smile replying that 'you are my son as well as my daughter.' and my gosh I can't tell how proud I used to feel while hearing this. In our village girls were not taught while I regular y went to school, girls used to do household works while I never did that, girls were not allowed to dream while mine was really sky touching, girls were married at a small age while my parents never thought of this, girls used to wear salwaar-kameez, a typical indian dress which shows the good teachings in girls while I used to wear pants and shirts. I was a super privileged girl because my dad was highly literate but due to some family issues he could not go to city for job but it was his dream to make me a police officer. Both my mom and dad were highly supportive and I never thought of living like this .


Suddenly, my mom- in- law entered in and shouted in a super rude way saying that" how stupid you are! Don't you know that you were supposed to cook breakfast for the family . You are really good for nothing. Remember it that we are favouring you by giving you a place to live and food to eat. Now come and do All the work". I did the same along with cleaning the house , washing utensils, washing cloths, cutting vegetables for lunch.


Before marriage I was living in a small village called khedli in western India. Me and my family were happily living there with a dream of making me a police officer. I never did household work and was busy in studies. All was going well . When I was 17 my family decided to send me to city for the preparation of police examination. My father took loan for the same and whatever small savings he did his whole life spent for my studies. We were left with nothing except my dad's job as a postman.The next week I was to move to the city for further studies. Although we were left with no money but my parents were extremely happy that now my dream is going to become real.


At night about 11, while we were having dinner, my dad got a heart attack and he fainted. It was really the darkest night. It was raining heavily and my dad had a cycle onto which me and my mom struggled to take him to the hospital which was 4 km away from our house. On the way I lost my dad and my mom lost his husband. Rain had stopped and it was silence all around except the painful crying of me and my mom. It was like everything broke in the last 15 minutes. Me and my mom were totally shattered. We did not know what to do next. With the small savings from which I was to go to the city we did complete my dad's funeral ceremony. My mom was broken and we did not have money for food even. My mom fixed my marriage in her with a boy who was uneducated and did not know how to respect womens as now it was impossible to study further and my mom was not sure about her future so she married me so that I can have food and shelter atleast. And at that time I could see my mom very tensed for me so did not denied for the marriage and did it. After a month of my marriage my mom too passed away.


My in laws were more like animals and did not know how to respect womens. I was a serious victim of domestic violence. I was daily tortured by them . I was very much depressed now. My life was like hell and what I dreamt my life was just opposite of that. I wanted to end my life but then I remember my dad's dream of seeing me as a police officer. My dad always used to say that never ever do bad and bear bad. So how could I bear this? 'No I won't ' a reply came into my mind. "There will always remain a guilt into my mind that I did not become a police officer" said to myself. I thought if today I will not take any step then the whole life I have to live with regret.


So one day I decided not to give up and finally I ran away from there and moved to a small nearby city where I got a job as a school teacher and earned my living there. I took a room on rent there where in the day time I used to earn small amount of money from which I buyed books and stationary and in the night time I used to study very hard. I put all my blood and sweat in studying . There also I had to do hard struggle but it was much better to be a housewife where I was starving for respect and independency. Now was the time when a hope came where I could be an officer and could fulfill my parents dream. And finally the day came when all my sacrifices ,all my problems and all my sadness went away when I called myself Police Officer. I was a proud daughter of my proud parents. I know if my parents were alive they would be damn happy. After that I lived my life with respect, independently, and hapily. That day I understood that if others dont change , change yourself to change the world. And never ever let problems badly affect you.


If plan A does not work go for plan B but dont sacrifices your goal.



June 13, 2020 03:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

D. Shikha
10:41 Aug 07, 2020

Nice Story, Anjali😊

Reply

Anjali Malik
07:12 Aug 08, 2020

Thanku so much, good to see that you liked it🖤🖤🖤

Reply

D. Shikha
07:29 Aug 08, 2020

Stay safe & keep writing:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
D. Shikha
12:00 Aug 28, 2020

Hey Anjali, would you mind checking out my first story?

Reply

Anjali Malik
14:47 Aug 28, 2020

Yup, sure dear!😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Avani G
20:20 Jul 18, 2020

Hi, Anjali! You had asked me for feedback, so here I am! I loved the plot of the story, and I agree with Ollie when he says that it had sort of a modern day Cinderalla storyline. And I think you portrayed this really well! I loved this piece! I'm not going to go ahead and say if this was true or not, but if it was, it's definitely a great memoir! :) But, there were a couple of mistakes. First of all—grammar. What I would recommend you do is type out your story onto a Google Doc. Google Doc has auto correct, so when you make a grammar m...

Reply

Anjali Malik
03:06 Jul 20, 2020

I was actually searching for this comment..thanku once again for correcting my mistakes and giving me such precious suggestions.😊😊

Reply

Avani G
11:39 Jul 21, 2020

Oh, your welcome! I was searching for this, too, but then I accidentally deleted it, lol. Have a great day! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mugisha Jack
20:38 May 21, 2023

The story is about the life of Anjali

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:51 Nov 03, 2020

This a a great story! I believe your grammar is something a number of people commented about. I like it the way it is. I can envision you writing this story. I hope you have success at your studies. Have you ever read Earnest Hemingway? Great author and I think you would like him. Robert

Reply

Anjali Malik
19:06 Nov 03, 2020

Thanks a lot, it really means a lot to me😊😊 And ya I have read his Indian Camp, no doubt he's amazing, for sure gonna read more from his work....

Reply

22:22 Nov 03, 2020

He wrote “For Whom the Bell Tolls” in an archaic English. I thought it was interesting. Robert

Reply

Anjali Malik
05:54 Nov 04, 2020

So, wasn't that interesting ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avani G
23:35 Nov 01, 2020

Hi, Anjali! How are you? Is everything okay? I noticed you haven't been on Reedsy for quite a while now...

Reply

Anjali Malik
15:25 Nov 03, 2020

Hey Avani, ya actually i'm quite a busy with my studies now and also my dad is not well since a month .....So I don't usually get time but whenever I get some i always like to see you people active here😉 And thanku so much dear for asking...I really appreciate it😊😊

Reply

Avani G
15:32 Nov 03, 2020

My condolences to your father. Are you planning on writing another story soon? I really miss them 😭😭

Reply

Anjali Malik
15:34 Nov 03, 2020

Ohhhh.......Ya sure dear, really happy to see that atleast someone likes to read my story, thanku😊

Reply

Avani G
15:35 Nov 03, 2020

No problem! Do you mind checking out a few of my stories? I wrote a few :)

Reply

Anjali Malik
18:58 Nov 03, 2020

Ya sure.....It would be my pleasure reading your stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Caleb Baeten
16:55 Jun 19, 2020

I won't talk to the grammar. It has already been mentioned, and I suspect English is likely not your first language, so I give you a lot of respect for choosing to submit a story in a format that requires English. I agree with Avani in the use of Showing rather than Telling the reader what your story is. I don't know if this story was based on a personal experience or not. If it was, that could explain a lot of the Telling aspect to the story as people tend to Tell their story rather than Show it. Your progression through the story mad...

Reply

Anjali Malik
04:27 Jun 20, 2020

Oh, thanku so much dear to read my story and I really value the pain you took to correct my mistakes and Yup! english is not my first language but I am really sure that if people like you will support me I'll improve it. Once again thanku so much for your precious feedback and valuable suggestion. Hope you do good in your life ahead , and all your plans may fulfill. Love you, god bless you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anjali Malik
03:44 Jun 13, 2020

You are free to ask about plot of story and can correct my grammatical errors and feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
07:08 Aug 10, 2020

Lovely plot. Nice story. Keep writing. Waiting for more of yours........ Would you mind checking out my stories too?

Reply

Anjali Malik
15:15 Aug 12, 2020

Ya sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Krishi Norris
16:01 Aug 08, 2020

Wow! Great story, Anjali! This has a great moral to always follow your dreams, and believe in the power of hope! :) Good job! I can't WAIT to hear more stories from you!

Reply

Anjali Malik
03:19 Aug 10, 2020

Oh, thanku so much for your encouraging words. Actually i was feeling that it's not my cup of tea to write stories but your words really made me happy. Thanks once again, and you also write so well dear.

Reply

Krishi Norris
11:04 Aug 10, 2020

Thanks Anjali! And no problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Note Book
02:09 Jul 26, 2020

Nice read.loved your story!

Reply

Anjali Malik
03:11 Jul 26, 2020

That's great! Thank you so much dear for your kind words. Glad to hear that you liked my story.😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:02 Jul 22, 2020

I loved the plot and the progression of the story, Anjali! Also, would you mind checking my recent story out, "Red, Blue, White"? Thank you!

Reply

Anjali Malik
10:34 Jul 22, 2020

Thanku, means a lot to me. Ya, why not...I'll surely read your story dear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:12 Jun 22, 2020

GREAT story Anjali! I enjoyed reading your story! Loved it! I do agree with some of the other commenters... there were some minor mistakes..but in overall your story was AMAZING!😊😁 Keep writing and have a great day Anjali!❤️️

Reply

Anjali Malik
15:28 Jun 22, 2020

Hey Harshini , thanku so much dear for your encouraging words , really glad you liked it. May your all dreams come true🤗🤗 Have a great day to you too😚

Reply

15:58 Jun 22, 2020

Awww thank you so much Anjali! Your stories are great! Looking forward for more stories from you!😊😉 You too!

Reply

Anjali Malik
16:00 Jun 22, 2020

Yup! Sure dear😊😊

Reply

16:02 Jun 22, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.