2 comments

General

This is it. I sat in my car and took a deep breath as I promised myself to keep a calm composure. I couldn't make a habit out of crying, no matter how badly I needed to. I looked out of the window at the rusty, metal sign that read Northern Hills Cemetery. My mother wanted to bury him in a Catholic cemetery, but she didn't know my brother like I did. Although twin telepathy isn't real, it may as well have been, because there wasn't anything we kept from each other, and I knew he always preached about his belief in Atheism. I broke out of my daze and finally opened my car door.

It was quite a walk from the parking lot to his grave. I guess a picked a good day to go, as it was completely silent other than my black high heels tapping on the sidewalk. The grass was as green and lively as I remember it, an ironic contrast to the old, illegible tombstones. There were a lot of new, brightly colored trees planted in no particular pattern from last time I was here. I assume it became a popular place for hiking because of the steep hills, which would explain why I had to jump out of the way of somebody running along the trail every three minutes.

After what seemed like forever, I finally made it to the grave that read 'Daniel Green'; and I immediately had to hold back my tears. It looked exactly the same as it had twenty years ago. I remembered everything, from silly little arguments to the lives we were supposed to have.

I was then filled with anger; I was supposed to have a sister in law. I was supposed to be an aunt. I was supposed to have so many more arguments with him, and so many more apologies. I was supposed to be able to live in my hometown for life, without people giving me pitiful stares. However, none of that happened. Instead, I had the privilege go going to go to weekly therapy appointments when I was the ripe age of seven. I felt a constant lack of control for the majority of my life, and there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't miss him terribly.

I finally just let it all out. I couldn't stop the flow of tears anymore. I missed my other half more than words can describe.

And it’s all because some idiot came to school with a gun.

October 14, 2019 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lauren Halliday
21:21 Oct 23, 2019

Wow. That last sentence hit me hard. Amazing! I felt like I was at the cemetery with her. It flowed really well and you have well-placed imagery. The only comment I want to make is that, personally, I would have wanted to feel more of what she was feeling. Were the tears choking or like a release? Were her feet heavy? Small things like that. Most people have felt the death of someone else, unfortunately. It could have hit harder feeling maybe something different because they were twins. Amazing either way!

Reply

K. M
02:25 Nov 19, 2019

Thank you so much for your feedback! It seriously does mean a lot. I'm so excited that someone took the time to read my story and give it feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.