5 comments

Fiction

Everything was in chaos. People in life jackets were looking for something to hang on to and some were looking for their loved ones. Irene was a part of them. She was looking for her sister. A moment ago they had been holding hands and now she had vanished. Irene called out to her as loud as she could manage but nobody seemed to hear her. However loud she screamed nobody seemed to hear her. She kept waving and thrashing her arms forgetting that she had a life jacket on. Her wavy black stuck to her face making it pretty hard for her to see but she didn't care. Then she saw it a hand with a bracelet that matched the one she was wearing. It was her sister but she was dead.


The world faded away and became fully black and she woke up, screaming her sister's name. It took her a moment to realize she had been sleeping. But what good can that bring, what she had seen wasn't merely a dream it was a memory, a nightmare that had tormented her from the past 5 years.

She turned around and picked up her sister's bracelet and held it to her heart. It was the only comfort she had. If she could she would curl up in bed and go to sleep clutching the bracelet but she had work to do.


Irene worked as a freelance illustrator in California for 5 years. Even though her dad and relatives warned her not to become an illustrator she had not listened. She knew that it was what she wanted and her mom would have supported her if she was there. She lived a pretty nice life until her sister died and her mother went missing(dead according to everyone).She earned fairly well and had caring friends, but something nagged her. She sensed her mother was alive but nobody was willing to help.


But, she wasn't the type of person to act hero and go solve mysteries. She didn't even like a small change in her routine. She was just an ordinary girl as Irene liked to describe herself.


For now though she had decided to keep herself distracted from these thoughts by emerging or rather drowning herself in work. And that is what she is doing now. After getting ready and a brief breakfast she had settled down to work. One after other she kept producing illustrations as per the commissions she had received. She did not budge from her seat. Everything was going peacefully(if you don't count the frustration she had if she messed up a piece) when suddenly a loud doorbell startled her. She steadied herself and went to open the door.


And she saw her cousin, Emma. Irene smiled and spread her arms to hug her but she exclaimed in a panicked voice,' I need you to get your car out right now!', I replied stammering a bit,' But. I have wo..work..', She cut her off,' This is urgent! Please just agree! I will explain everything in the car.', she was half sobbing now. 'Okay okay open the gates and wait.', Irene hastily replied.


Soon they were off to Emma's house. 'So, are you going to explain...?',She asked Emma. She nodded her head.

Emma started ,' Today we got a message from Uncle Charlie, he said that a distant Aunt has died and today her will be read.',

'Wait, but we haven't had the funeral yet.' Irene said.

'Well, he said her friend's had already conducted her funeral in Germany. I tried to get information about her but all I know so far is that she was a widow who mostly kept to herself and liked to travel a lot.'

' Did you contact her friends?', She asked.

' I tried to but they blocked us.', she replied.


A spell of silence fell over them. Irene didn't mind it. She needed to calm down. She peeked at the sky. It was a beautiful clear blue color with fluffy clouds tinged a light pink color that resembled cotton candy. In normal circumstances she would stop the car and gawk at the sky photographing it so she could replicate it on a piece of paper but today.....today it was different. Today everything just appeared gloomier than usual.


“Augh!”, she let out a frustrated noise. She could feel Emma looking at her.

'What?' She asked her slightly irritated.

She replied, 'It's just...I am worried about you...ever since ..since your mom died, you..',

'She's not dead. 'She cut her off.


The silence fell again, but this time it was awkward, and it stayed.


After a few hours of driving(and being stuck in traffic) they reached at her(Emma's) house. It was a huge house, surrounded by all kinds of flowers and trees. The gate also had flowers hanging on them and two statues stood by the door like sentinels.


Emma called her parents to open the gate. While they waited Irene exclaimed, 'I am sorry!',

'Huh?....OH! No need to be sorry,it..it's fine. 'Emma replied.

Irene smiled and hugged her.

'Finally you came! I was so worried, hurry and come in',

They both turned around it was Emma's mom(Jennie Smith).

They mumbled a greeting and went inside.


They were late! Everyone was gathered there and by the looks of reading of the will had been announced.


Suddenly the man that was in charge of reading the will exclaimed,'Ah! Miss Irene! Miss Emma! We thought you weren't coming! Now let's read out your part of the inheritance, shall we?,' But without even waiting for an answer he said with a grin, “Not here though, yours are a bit...peculiar. Follow me you two.”,


They glanced at each other, then followed him. He led them into the backyard and gave them their letters, 'I think you should read these on your own.'.


Irene opened the letter and started reading in her mind.


Irene, where do I even start? I have so much to tell, to ask you. Well, first I guess is your inheritance.

You are to receive 1 million dollars and a family heirloom. But, I have conditions.

1.You will have to travel with Emma to Germany, Japan, France and finally India.

2.You will try new things, risky things.

This is all I ask. Your mother has talked a lot about you. She praised you a great deal but also from her descriptions I have known that you push yourself too hard and are emotionally closed up.


I knew you would close yourself even more after your sister's death maybe even develop a fear for travelling(which you did). Your mother and I had discussed that after you had come back from the hospital. Sadly, the last day I saw your mother..


Irene paused. She thought to herself, 'What is even happening?! She can't be serious! I have enough money to live on my own. I am not going on a trip with Emma just for some money. I can't afford to lose her...Besides, travelling only brought trouble to her.', She continued reading.


But I know, you will not do it some for money. And it is not only for money. I have faith that that you know your mother isn't dead. I have arranged for clues to have you meet your mother and equip you with some skills if your mother is in danger.


She tore her eyes away from the letter. She didn't understand. Her mother..in danger? What does this mean?


Her legs were shaking. She needed to sit down., 'Can we discuss this in her room?', She asked the man. He nodded and smiled.


* * * *

“You can't miss this! You always said you knew your mother was alive and we now know for sure!

Please do this.", Emma shouted at her.

“I can't “

“ Why not?”, She asked?

' Well for starters, I despise travelling. It took my sister what if..what if it took you away from me too?', Irene replied choking on her tears.

Emma hugged her.

'Nothing is going to separate us.', She said smiling.

She smiled back but then became serious and said,' But will we allowed? I mean my dad couldn't care less, but what about your parents? They would never agree!',

" It's worth a shot though I will ask them if we can travel but will not mention the finding your mom bit. Okay?', Emma chuckled.

"Okay", She replied.

****

"Well, they didn't agree!", She said.

' Well, Of course they didn't! What did you expect?', She(Irene) replied.

"I don't know? A yes?", She replied rolling her eyes.

They both started laughing, but soon felt silent.

'So now what?', Emma asked.

A wave of silence followed and then-

'We run away' Irene replied in a grim tone.

" WHAT?"

" We run away.", She repeated for her.

' I heard you, but you can't be serious!',

" But I am!", She replied indignantly.

"Fine, say we plan to run away but at what time?

"Midnight"

'We won't be able to sneak out they stay up the whole night. 'Emma said.

' I will book tickets now and then at night we will climb down the tree near your window.', She said.

Emma nodded, Irene was serious. She had never seen a fire in her eyes that she had now. There was no stopping her now.


****


Irene and Emma landed on the ground, opened the gate, took their luggage (they had lowered it with a rope)and got into the car. They had put a note in their bedroom explaining everything. Irene had started the car when Mrs. Jennie appeared. Fortunately she did not notice them in the dark ( she also appeared drunk) and went inside.


They heaved a sigh of relief and the car sped of towards the airport.

December 18, 2020 15:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Shreyashi Shree
06:03 Dec 22, 2020

hey please publish th next part.i am eager to read it😊😊

Reply

Sm. Aurosikha
11:20 Dec 22, 2020

I will try to maybe in feb 2021. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
21:18 Dec 23, 2020

Hi there - I'm here from the world of the critique circle. I liked your story! Talk about a suspenseful opening paragraph - you actually created suspense through the whole piece and had me wondering what was going to happen next. Well done on that! I also think you developed the trauma that Irene experienced and how it affected her ensuing decisions really well. I am eager to read more and see where this adventure takes Irene!

Reply

Sm. Aurosikha
02:44 Dec 24, 2020

Thank you very much! As I was a beginner I didn't realize you can continue series on this platform so the story I am writing for this week is not a sequel but I might try next week, if I don't have the dreaded holiday homework, that is! Also sorry for the grammar errors I was writing in a hurry.

Reply

Kristin Neubauer
08:36 Dec 24, 2020

Holiday homework! Ugh - I know what you mean. I’m in grad school now and have weeks when the homework keeps me from writing. You’re a really good writer and I am looking forward to reading more of your work whenever you can post!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.