2 comments

Fiction Funny

Charley the Clown pushed open the door to his trailer, the rickety thing creaking like an ancient circus elephant's knees. He kicked a stray juggling ball out of his path, muttering to himself about the perils of living in a mobile home with insulation thinner than a tightrope walker's leotard.


Great, Charley thought, another night in the world's most depressing clown car. At least I'm not packed in with a small army of seltzer-wielding buffoons.


The faint sounds of the circus winding down echoed through the thin walls—the roar of the lion being coaxed into its cage, the hoot of the owls, and the distant laughter of children still thrilled by the night's show.


He fumbled for the light switch, his clown makeup streaking from sweat and a particularly rambunctious pie-throwing finale. Note to self: Next time, dodge the pie instead of catching it with your face.


Just as his fingers brushed the switch, a sharp crack sounded from the shadows of the room. Charley's eyes widened as a searing pain blossomed in his chest. He staggered backward, clutching at his heart, a mix of red and white greasepaint smeared on his hands.


"You...you shot me!" Charley gasped, falling to his knees. He was finding it hard to breathe, and his vision swam. Oh, fantastic. 'Charley's Grand Finale: The Human Bull's-eye.' Kids, don't try this at home.


The dim light from the street lamps outside cast long shadows, but he could just make out a figure stepping forward. The faint scent of gunpowder mingled with the smell of popcorn and sawdust that permeated the trailer.


The figure, tall and cloaked in darkness, bent down over Charley. A gun gleamed in his hand. Charley tried to speak, but all that came out was a pitiful wheeze. His body was going cold, and he could feel the sticky warmth of blood seeping through his fingers.


"Why?" Charley managed to croak. "Why would you—?"


"Because you took the last piece of cake at the after-show party last night," the figure hissed, their voice melodramatic, dripping with outrage. "That was my slice, Charley. Everyone knows I always get the last piece of cake!"


Charley blinked, his mind struggling to process the words through the pain. Cake? You have me dying over a piece of cake? Talk about a half-baked murder plot.


"Y-you…you're kidding…right?" he wheezed, each breath a struggle. "This...this can't be...how I go…"


The figure shook their head solemnly, as if explaining the obvious to a child. "It was red velvet, Charley. With cream cheese frosting. You knew how much it meant to me." The killer's voice rose to a fever pitch, trembling with righteous fury. "But you—YOU just had to go and shove your clown face right into it, didn't you? No one crosses me like that and gets away with it!"


Charley's vision blurred, the figure's face becoming a swirl of shadows and circus lights. A bitter laugh escaped his lips, mingling with a painful cough. "You're...out of your mind…" This story's more twisted than a contortionist with a pretzel addiction.


"Maybe," the killer said, standing upright, the gun still held loosely in their hand. "But now, there's one less clown to compete with for dessert." With that, the figure turned, slipping out of the trailer as quietly as they had come.


Charley's head slumped against the floor, his life ebbing away. He could hear the distant echo of circus music, the thump of elephants' feet, the clink of rings being put away. It all felt so surreal. He was dying, and his last thoughts were about...cake.


This can't be right, Charley mused as darkness crept in. Dying over dessert? What kind of twisted plot are you writing? If I'm going out, it should at least be something spectacular. Like falling off the highwire into a pool of man-eating sharks. Now that's entertainment!


As the world faded to black, Charley's lips curled into a faint, ironic smile. "Damn…good…cake…" he whispered to the empty trailer. Next gig, hold out for living quarters larger than a sardine can.


Charley blinked, and suddenly he wasn't lying on the floor of his trailer anymore. Instead, he found himself standing upright in the middle of the circus staging area. The familiar scent of sawdust, animal feed, and sweat filled his nostrils. A cane rested against his shoulder. He glanced down to find himself wearing a bright red tailcoat, complete with brass buttons and a top hat perched precariously on his head.


What in the name of Barnum and Bailey? One minute I'm leaking red velvet, the next I'm decked out like the ringmaster of Oz. Someone's writing this story with a Crayon, and they're coloring outside the lines.


"What the…?" Charley muttered aloud, spinning around. He took in the scene before him: lions lounging lazily in their cages, acrobats stretching in the background, and a collection of circus paraphernalia scattered across the ground. The clowns were nowhere to be seen. "Where did my trailer go? I was just… I was…" Well, at least I'm not dead.


The fog in his mind was thick, but a sudden, sharp pain shot through his temple, as if reminding him to stay focused on the present. He straightened his hat and tried to gather his bearings. He was the ringmaster now. Of course. Why wouldn't he be? After all, this was his circus.


Sure, and I'm the Queen of Sheba. What's next, juggling flaming chainsaws while riding a unicycle?


"Charley! There you are, you two-faced, spotlight-stealing fraud!" a voice bellowed from the shadows.


Charley turned just in time to see a figure storming towards him. It was Leo, the lion tamer, wearing his signature glistening gold jacket and gripping a coiled whip in his fist. Leo's eyes were blazing with anger, and his jaw was set in a determined line.

Charley blinked, still trying to process his surroundings. "Leo? Aren't you on about now? Or did I miss a few pages of this ridiculous script?"


Leo's face turned a shade of red that almost matched Charley's coat. "Don't play innocent with me, Charley! I know what you've been up to. Trying to steal my lions for your own act. You think you can just waltz in here with your fancy coat and top hat and take over my act?"


Charley felt a rush of panic. "Lions? What are you—" Oh great, now I'm stealing lions. What's next, embezzling from the sea lion fish bucket?


Leo cut him off, his voice rising in a dramatic crescendo that echoed through the tent. "I've worked my whole life to be the best lion tamer in this circus, and now you think you can just push me aside? I saw you practicing with them last night, giving them commands. MY commands! You've crossed the line, Charley, and now you're gonna pay for it!"


Charley's confusion deepened. He looked around at the lounging lions, all of them seemingly uninterested in the unfolding drama. "Leo, calm down. I don't know what you think you saw, but I've got no interest in—"


Stealing your act, Charley finished in his head. I'd rather juggle porcupines than deal with your furry prima donnas.


Leo's eyes flashed with fury, and he snapped his whip against the ground, sending a loud crack through the air. "You want to be the ringmaster and now lion tamer, too? Greedy, Charley. Very greedy. You just have to hog all the glory, don't you?"


"Glory?" Charley sputtered, trying to find the right words. "Leo, I've got no idea what's going on! I was just—" Minding my own business, getting murdered over baked goods. You know, nothing usual for a Tuesday night.


"You were just sealing your fate!" Leo snarled, a dangerous glint in his eye. He flicked his wrist, and suddenly one of the lions rose from its rest, stalking towards Charley. Its eyes locked onto him with a predatory focus, its muscles rippling under its fur.


Charley's heart pounded in his chest. He raised his cane instinctively, as if it would somehow protect him. "Leo, this is insane! Call off the lion! I'm more of a cat person anyway – you know, the kind that fits in a shoebox and doesn't consider me an all-you-can-eat buffet!"


Leo's laugh was cold and devoid of humor. "Oh no, Charley. You wanted to be the ringmaster, to control everything and everyone. Well, now you'll see what it's like to be at the mercy of something you can't control."


The lion advanced, its teeth bared, and Charley felt a jolt of terror. He could barely think straight, his mind a jumbled mess of clown routines and near-death experiences. Great, now I'm lion chow. I don't remember signing up for lunch with Leo.

Charley winced, glancing at the lion. This story's gone from slapstick to 'The Lion King' tragedy faster than I can throw a pie. Whoever's writing this story needs to lay off the cotton candy.


His mind raced to find an escape. "Leo, please!" Charley shouted, stumbling backward as the lion crept closer. "I don't even like lions! I'm a clown, for crying out loud! The only thing I've ever tamed is my hair on a humid day!"


Leo shook his head, a cruel smile curling his lips. "Not anymore, Charley. Not anymore." He gave a sharp whistle, and the lion lunged.


Charley didn't even have time to scream. He tripped over his own feet, falling backward onto the dusty ground. The last thing he saw was the lion's mouth opening wide, ready to strike. Then, just like that, everything went black.


Oh come on, Charley thought as the darkness enveloped him. Eaten by a lion? That's so cliche. At least make it a tiger – they're grrreat!


Charley's eyes snapped open. He was no longer in the circus staging area, staring down a furious lion tamer. Instead, he found himself crammed into a tight, cylindrical space. It was dark, and the smell of gunpowder filled his nostrils. He couldn't move his arms, which were pinned against his sides. Panic surged through him as he struggled to understand where he was.


You've got to be kidding me, Charley thought, his mental voice dripping with sarcasm. From clown to lion snack to... what? The world's most claustrophobic mummy?


"What the—" Charley muttered aloud, wriggling in the confined space. He could hear muffled sounds outside, the distant rumble of the crowd, the upbeat blare of the circus band. It hit him all at once.


"A cannon?" Charley grunted, trying to shift around. His face was squished against the cold metal, his knees bent awkwardly. "Why am I in a cannon?! Is this some kind of twisted metaphor?" Out of the frying pan, into the big bang theory?


A voice boomed from outside, barely muffled by the cannon's thick walls. "Ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourselves for the death-defying spectacle of Charley, the Human Cannonball!"


Charley's stomach dropped. He could almost hear the audience's collective gasp and the murmurs of anticipation. He knew that voice—his own voice, prerecorded and booming from a speaker. As the realization set in, his irritation bubbled over into anger.


"Oh, come on!" Charley shouted, though his voice was mostly absorbed by the metal around him. "You've got to be kidding me! First a bullet, then a lion, and now this? Make up your mind already!"


Suddenly, a familiar voice piped up from outside the cannon – saccharine sweet with an undercurrent of resentment. "Well, well, well, if it isn't the star of the show! Having second thoughts about your new starring role, Charley?"


Charley's eyes widened in recognition. "Zippy? Is that you? Listen, buddy, I know you're upset, but—"


"Upset? Me?" Zippy's voice dripped with false cheer. "Why would I be upset just because you swooped in and took my job? I mean, who wouldn't want to be demoted from Human Cannonball to Fuse Lighter Extraordinaire?"


Charley winced, both from the physical discomfort and the guilt. "Come on, Zippy, you know it wasn't personal. The ringmaster thought—"


"Oh, I know what the ringmaster thought," Zippy interrupted, his tone sharpening. "He thought you'd bring in bigger crowds. Well, let's see how big those crowds are when I send you into orbit! Ready for your high-flying finale, Charley? Because it's time to make your grand exit. And I do mean exit!"


Great, did you have to emphasize 'exit'.


"Wait, Zippy, we can talk about this—"


"Sorry, Charley, no time for chit-chat!" Zippy's voice was now alarmingly cheerful. "The show must go on, and you're about to be the biggest star in the sky! Well, for about ten seconds, anyway. Now, let's light this candle and send you to infinity and beyond!"


"Zippy, no—!"


Charley tried to wriggle toward the opening of the barrel. Exit, stage anywhere but here!


But it was too late. Charley could hear the sizzle of the fuse being lit, and he knew his fate was sealed. As the heat built up beneath him, he couldn't help but think, Note to self: Next time, read the fine print before stealing someone's job. Especially if that someone is in charge of launching you out of a cannon.


Charley squeezed his eyes shut, trying to remember what he was supposed to be doing. Just moments ago, he had been arguing with Leo in the staging area. Before that, he had been shot in his trailer. Nothing made sense. His mind was a fog of mismatched scenes and surreal moments. And now, he was about to be fired from a cannon.


This story's got more holes than a clown's pockets, Charley thought bitterly. And about as much sense as a bearded lady's razor collection.


He took a deep breath, which was more like a shallow gasp given the cramped space. The acrid smell of gunpowder filled his nostrils, making him dizzy. Charley's mind raced, trying to make sense of the constantly shifting reality around him.


"Listen up, you hack of a writer!" Charley shouted, his voice echoing in the metal chamber. "Your story's more tangled than a clown's balloon animals after a tornado! Pick a plot and stick to it, for crying out loud!"


The sizzle of a burning fuse reached his ears, growing louder with each passing second. Charley's eyes scrunched even tighter, crow's feet deepening at the corners. His entire body tensed, muscles coiling as he braced for the inevitable.


"Oh, brilliant," he muttered, sarcasm dripping from every word. "A cannon. How original. What's next, sawing me in half? Turning me into a rabbit? Your creativity is about as impressive as a mime's vocabulary!"


The heat at his feet grew more intense, and Charley's voice took on a frantic edge. "Hey, wordsmith! If you're going for a character with more range, I don't think 'ballistic trajectory' is quite what the creative writing books had in mind!"


He paused for a moment, then thought, I've got to admit, my character arc is about to be pretty spectacular.


His thoughts were cut off by a deafening BOOM. The cannon fired, and Charley was launched into the air, his stomach flipping as he shot across the circus tent. The crowd below let out a collective gasp, then a cheer as they watched him soar.


Charley's arms flailed as he flew, the ground a blur beneath him. He yelled to the sky, his voice lost in the wind. "This is your idea of a coherent plot?! I've seen more structure in a house of cards during an earthquake!"


He saw the safety net below, stretched taut between two poles. For a brief moment, Charley allowed himself to hope that maybe, just maybe, he would land safely. But of course, nothing was that simple. The net was set too low, his trajectory off by several feet as he soared above the netting. He crashed into the side of the tent with a loud thud, tearing through the fabric and tumbling to the ground in a heap.


Charley lay there, groaning, tangled in the canvas. He could hear the gasps of the audience, the nervous laughter that followed, but all he could think about was the growing ache in his back and the dull ringing in his ears. He tried to push himself up, but the world spun, and he collapsed back onto the dirt.


"Alright, alright," he muttered, staring up at the sky. "I get it. You're indecisive. But could you at least stop trying to kill me in the most ridiculous ways possible? I'm starting to feel like a crash test dummy in a slapstick comedy!"


He waited for a response, half expecting a voice to boom from the heavens, explaining everything. But there was only silence. Charley sighed, closing his eyes. Maybe the next rewrite would be less painful. Maybe he'd wake up as a tightrope walker, or a juggler, or, if he was lucky, not in this circus at all.


"Just… make up your mind," he whispered, more to himself than to anyone else. "Maybe we could focus on my emotional journey? I promise it'll be less painful for both of us."


As the sounds of the circus faded into the background, Charley felt the familiar tug of another rewrite, the world around him starting to blur and twist, as if the very fabric of reality was being crumpled like a piece of paper. He braced himself, wondering what absurd role he would have to play next in this ever-changing story.


Here we go again. A wry smile twisted his lips as he pondered his potential fates. Let's see... crushed by a runaway elephant? Choked on a never-ending handkerchief? Oh, I know – death by a thousand pie-throws! At least it would be a sweet finish.


Charley sighed, preparing himself for whatever ridiculous scenario awaited him in the next revision. In this story, the only thing more certain than death is another half-baked rewrite.

September 03, 2024 20:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

K.A. Murray
09:24 Sep 12, 2024

Loved this! I really liked your opening. (I knew where it was going because of the prompt, but I wouldn’t have seen it coming otherwise!). I also think that you handle the transitions between different scenes nicely, which I think is challenging with this kind of a plot. Great work!

Reply

01:23 Sep 13, 2024

Thanks for the comment. I've only been trying to write for a out a year. Hopefully I'm getting better. This prompt was something I saw almost immediately. I mean, how many stories are there about clown being murdered in the circus? And, I really enjoyed creating the cheesy dialogue. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.