Was it a true love ?

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Mystery

Busy washing clothes ,since morning, My elder brother Afzal,continuesly taking out his suits and matching his ties "Rani ,I think this tie goes with my suit” Afzal came towards washing bay. .”Are you going some where special? “No, wonna take out some stills ”Afzal answered very freely.These still would be a great reminiscence of me.” l won't collect, his wife is admitted in hospital and he is thinking of the stills, what happened to this man ,?His words took me for a while.photographer took out his pics in different styles and framed it.

Afzal and Nagina married ,some fifteen years ago, they were issue less.Afzal looked after lucrative business of automobile and Nagina had a Boutique, considered a successful venture.

Afzal from the last so many days looking perturbed.Night mare,consecutively hitting him.

“Dear Rani, some strange is going to be happened soon. “He said.”you become whimsical”. Tugged me.

Afzal's strange attitude made me concern.Tried to comfort him , I clyped."Minister asked a futurist”how long will you live"? He replied “Hundred years more"and what about my life”. ? Minister quarried.”only a year".Futurist replied proudly .Minister ,without a second thought,took out his sword and beheaded him.”

This is not the case with me ”Afzal replied.My case is different “.It’s explanation is difficult to state.Night mare hitting me badly."

It was 2019,beginning of covid 19.Every body got alert.

Afzal continuously asking for vaccinations. Nagina was reluctant.”At least you go and get a check up" .“Nagina stubborned like a child. At last she had her test done.

Test indicated "positive".

She ,obviously ,went in solitude.

One day Afzal and me ,sitting in the verranda.An old lady,look like an anchoress ,looked thirsty and hungry ,indicating me from the road to give me some food and water.

I opened the gate ,.despite of the disagreement of Afzal.She came inside, provided her food and water. She was constantly looking towards Afzal. Who is he? she asked me with curiosity . ”Brother “answered me slightly. keenly requested her to pray for Nagina. “Nagina has a long life"she looked towards Afzal with strange eyes and took up her satchel, went away. At evening ,Nagina's condition getting worst.

On the second day ,she moved to the ventilation." Rani,I think my days are numbered now !“.Strange thought took me, how come he say his days are numbered.? Nagina is in critical condition not he.

"My business gone closed. After me ,Nagina can’t handle it.”,With wet eyes Afzal said.”How insane you are, ,you are ok,please pray for Nagina's life.”I got severely angered. You stacked your thirty years efforts.”

At late night, heard Afzal praying “Oh lord, don’t show me the death face of Nagina.”It was already late,about Three in morning,came with a heavy heart,wept ,put my head on the pillow and closed my eyes.After a while,about to change my side,saw an white image,sitting on rocking chair.Lights were dim, tried to see it clearly,it was the image of same anchoress,came and provided her food and water.,becomb scared,heard only”Nagina would come back home “and you will not believe ,it vanished like a bubble.It horrified a lot and couldn't let me sleep.

wanna tell to Afzal about the appearance of the anchoress,however ,I didn’t.

In the morning,Afzal,shouted,,to come to his room immediately.As I entered the room,Afzal leaning with the almirrah.All the clothes of Nagina were hanging,as it seemed like all clothes were worn by some body,they were all used and need wash.Day before of Nagina's admittance in hospital,she washed her clothes and also ironed it,properly.One more thing,which stunt us badly.The pants,shirts and suits were all cut,like somebody cut it with large scissors and red stains were easily visioned,that stains were not normal,they were abnormal,” .They were stains of blood.Afzal touched the a red stain ,it was not red color,it appeared “blood,human blood!!”The tie and suit,which he wore the day of taking out of stills were hanging untouchable.we both became worried and stretched.”This indications are not good"said Afzal in a low voice.”What do you want to convey,you mean ,Nagina would live and you would die,why are you,without any reason,embracing death!I stretched ful said to ease my burdens from my mind.Afzal didn’t answered and left the room.

In afternoon along with Afzal went to the hospital,she was lying unconscious.

Doctors were also worried,causing short of Oxygen cylinders.Nagina's consumption of the oxygen were six killos,more than all of the patients in the hospital. A killo oxygen remained in the cylinder.

panic increased.

Afzal made me sit in the hospital and started struggling to get oxygen cylinders.

That anchoress said ,Nagina will back home ,appearently her condition is not improving.What a horrible state are we facing in life.

After two hours,Afzal came walking fastly and said "I bought Oxygen not for Nagina only,the other patients would also breath well."

We came back home,the care of the hospital was ideal and satisfactory,attendants were not allowed to stay.

Next day,as usual busy in my house work.Doctor called me from the hospital,asked me to come quickly.Rushed to hospital.Doctors were all hopping and showed me Nagina's face from big see through window.She was looking beautiful and attractive.She gave me a smile.I waved her.Became contented, took out cell and tried Afzal,after three bells,it answered,voice appeared different.It came to be Mr Shami,friend of Afzal,”sorry , about to ring you,Afzal is no more and you please come to City Hospital”.On the one hand watching the smiling face of Nagina and other hand hearing the death news of Afzal. Couldn't explain the feeling surpassing . Rushed to the City Hospital,He had already been declared dead.Motive spelled heart failure.same day we held his funeral.Next day after his prayers, went to see,Nagina,she was recovering and doctors asked me to take her home. she came home and asked about Afzal.As intended to answer,she abruptly said “I know he is no more”.I dreamt in hospital. Afzal and me,walking in a long tunnel,hand in hand,on the other end of the tunnel,there been a big flash of light,some realitives of us smiling,including our parents,and waving us to come,in the mean while,an anchoress appeared,she stopped me and allowed Afzal to go.When my eyes opened,the dream was still fresh in my mind , premonition persisted ,Afzal ,no more in this world.” The End.”Was it a true love ?






May 31, 2021 18:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sheejee Babar
20:17 Aug 01, 2021

Goood attempt

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
17:09 Jun 06, 2021

Thank you Laura and reedsy for the approval of my story"Was it a true love ".?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.