0 comments

Science Fiction

Karen gasped as a wave of consciousness flooded through her body. Ever since the alien invasion that happened just recently, she was knocked out cold. She didn't know how long she was knocked out, nor why she wasn't taken by the aliens.

She sat up, wincing as her body ached under the pressure. Her head throbbed, and her muscles felt like a plate of jello.

"Hello?" She called. The terrain around her was desolate. "Mom? Dad? Ricky?" Her family didn't reply. She started to quiver with fear, and with cold as the icy wind whipped against her bare shoulders. She gulped and stood onto her feet. She got up a little too fast, so she winced as her head pounded and her vision blurred.

He desperately wanted to see someone. Anyone. A dog, a human, even a cat, even though she hated cats. She was lonely, and she wanted someone to keep her company.

Besides. The aliens couldn't have taken EVERYONE, could they? Depending on how many aliens invaded Earth, she doubted that they could have taken seven billion people away.

The terrain around her scared her. Broken splintered houses lined the street she was walking down, and some were on fire. Others were still standing, but had broken windows with blood around the edges. She shivered at the thought that her family ended up like that. She was lucky that she passed out when she did.

But she almost wished she did. She missed her family. She wanted to be with them no matter what they were going through.

She wanted to go through it with them together.

She continued to walk down the street, seeing If she could recognize her own street. That way, she could hide in her own house, with her own food and resources.

She recognized the street as Surray Street, which was the street right next door to her own. She walked a bit more and turned the corner. Her house was right down the end.

"Yes!" She said. She sprinted down the glass and rubble clad sidewalk and made her way to her house. She sighed relief when she say that Her house was still standing. It had some broken windows, but no blood on the edges.

She hopped up the few stairs to her porch, and then opened the door. It creaked open with a cringy SQUEAK.

"Mom? Dad? Ricky? Are you in here?" She said. It was drafty and uncomfortable inside, but it least it was her own home.

CRASH went something in the kitchen. Karen jumped at the sudden sound. "Hello?!" She said, worriedly. She gulped and slowly tiptoed towards the kitchen. Her heart raced and her breathing rhythm was uneven. She grabbed her brothers stray baseball bat on the floor and clutched it tightly in her hands.

"WHO ARE YOU?!" She screamed as she jumped into the kitchen. Someone with a bluehoodie screamed and fell on the floor. Karen ran up to them and stuck the baseball bat in their face.

"DONT HURT ME! PLEASE!" The persons hood fell off. Underneath was a boy, about her age, which was seventeen. He has blonde hair, cuts across his freckled face, and bright blue eyes. Tears pooled up in his eyes as he started worriedly at her bat. "Dont take me! They already took my family! Not me too!" Karen slowly lowered her bat as she stared at the boy.

"Its o-okay," Karen said. "I'm not an alien."

"Dont lie!"the boy said.

"Im not! Im a person! A real person!" Karen said.

"Prove it!'" the boy said, his thin body quivering.

"I dont know how to prove that to you, but I promise. I'm a person too. This is my house. I can help you."

"Positive?"the boy said. Karen dropped her bat and held her hand out.

"Promise." The boy took her hand and she helped him up. "You want some food?" The boys stomach growled.

"Yeah. I'm starving," he said. Karen was hungry too, so she fixed them both a box of mac and cheese that she had in their food storage.

"I never got your name," Karen said.

"Max," he said.

"I'm Karen," she said.

"Do you think we'll see our parents again?" Max said, hugging his knees.

"I hope so. I miss mine a lot," Karen said.

Just then there was a sound outside. Max and Karen sat frozen on the couch.

"Dont...move..." Karen said.

"Did we sweep the whole planet?" A voice said out there.

"I'm pretty sure. But I can sense something off about this street. I think someone's still here. Can you sense it too, Diffjudd?"

"Hmm..." there was a sudden silence. "I can. It's very subtle." More silence. "And I can smell something. Something...cooking."

Max whimpered beside Karen, who put her hand over his mouth.

"Quiet!" She whispered.

Max shifted his spot on the couch.

CRASH! His bowl of Mac and Cheeze crashed to the ground, exploding all over the floor.

"I definitely heard that!" Said the voice outside. "It was coming from that house! Go go go!" They both heard footsteps coming from Karen's porch.

"RUN! MAX! RUN!" Karen screamed, scrambling from the couch.

The two terms scrambled up from the couch, and darted toward the nearest door they could find.

"WHERE DID THEY GO?! THEYRE IN HERE SOMEWHERE!" One of the aliens roared. Max and Karen piled themselves into Karen's closet full of dresses and clothes. Max started to cry.

"I dont wanna end up like my parents!" He wheezed, tears streaming down his face.

"Then stay quiet! They won't find us!" Karen said. "I play hide and seek a lot with my brother. I always hide here and he never finds me!"

"But that's your brother!" Max squeaked. "These are aliens with high tech guns and equipment! We're done for!"

"Just shut up!" Karen said.

"We know you're in here!" One of the aliens said from outside the door. "We can sense your presence! Show yourselves, or we'll kill you!"

Max started to sob even harder.

"I cant take this stress anymore!" Max said. "I've been hiding for weeks! Withouthough. without my family!"

That's how long I've been asleep for?! Karen thought. She looked at Max's pained tear streaked face. She couldn't bear having both of them be taken if they were found. She knew what she had to do to protect Max.

"I'm going out," said.

"Karen?! No!" Max said.

"I cant have them take both of us!" Karen said. "If they find us, they'll take both of us!"

"Dont go! I dont wanna be the last human on earth!" Karen put a hand on his shoulder.

"Dont leave this spot until they leave. I mean it," Karen spat. She took a breath and stood up. She walked out of the closet, and listened to Max's sobs fade into the background. She made her way into the kitchen, where she heard the aliens talking.

"I know what I heard, Diffjudd!"one of them said. "Theres another human here!I can-"

"Hey!:" Karen choked. the aliens turned around. They were the most disgusting creatures she ever saw. They were skinny and a pale blue. They had green police uniforms on, and their eyes were a deep coal black. Her blood ran cold just by looking at them.

"TOKD YA!" One of them said. "GET HER!" Karen closed her eyes and braced herself.

"Stay safe, Max," she whispered. A blast of electricity ripped throughout her body, and she was out cold.


April 28, 2020 18:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.