0 comments

African American Contemporary Romance

Branville was a pretty traditional little town that grew into something of a frenzy this time of year. People here used to be so quiet and seasonal, but now the place is a teaming modern community. This time each year is the annual Bake Off, featuring competitions between mostly large scale bakeries or family businesses: all to produce the best confection or bread. Last year the Saltza Family danishes won. This year the rivalry is pretty clear.

Othello Morton still regrets his divorce four years back but since then he worked with his brother's business.

Now he's the owner of a small bakery making the best blondies in town. Since this time last year, he's had a rivalry with Sarah Houston who's bakery has been winning competitions since 2010. The two often get real messy this time of year. The Bake Off provides ten possible trophies but over 50 small and larger businesses try for them each year. Othello knows he's gonna win this time, so he thinks.

Sarah and Orthello try to perfect their recipes: he makes 20 trial batches of brownies, blondies and cinnamon cookies. She has her bakers produce a big batch of french pastries and cream puffs, forcing them to put in extra effort for the chocolate liquor sauce. He donates many of his to the poor while Sarah ensures the town council gets fine pastries at the private gala. It's clear she prefers the social glories of winning, but for some reason she never quite won. The Bake Off fast approaching, all major competitors get their game on. A few can't handle the pressure this year, with expenses being especially demanding on small businesses and newbies.

As rumors inform them both about each other's success and local favor, they feel it will be a close win... or lose. This only adds fire to their plans. Sarah spreads rumors that Othello is using cheap ingredients and even stolen recipes. He eventually hears them himself and wonders if it's just the bad competition spirit normal to this town. Branville is in the full heat of the season. A number of businesses could be doing it but he fears it's a closer rival. At the local Porktown Tavern, Mr. Morton hears the Gonzales family talking about Sarah Houston and her rivalry with Othello.

He finds out from his brother Randy, confirming his suspicions, and confronts Sarah. She admits everything and says she never won during the Bake Out, despite her successful business. She also loses money each year and never felt "good enough" to really do better. It's clear she did this to help with her own success and was not personally against Morton or his bakery business. He shows some mercy and decides to hear her out.

They connect during a business date to discuss potential teamwork. She fears he might not want to make any agreements but doesn't want to remain at odds. The Watchtower Cafe is perfect for a quiet meet. They talk a while about the whole madness of the Bake Out and how many new people are going to be doing it. It's agreed they should work together.

The fateful day arrives. Morton presents his blondies, brownies and cookies. Sarah has a smaller batch of her French puffs, cakes and mousses, the Conner family has their chocolate cakes and the DeVern baking company shares their unique salt caramel coffee cakes... about 50 other families, bakeries and groups also show up this time and the park becomes a good-smelling circus. Judges and announcers go between the stalls, sampling the goods. Eventually the verdict is determined. Looks like the moment of truth.

Sarah ends up winning two of the awards and they tie on a third but Othello accepts it without issue. Their French bakery and Family cookie shop become allies, putting down a potential rivalry.

They also find each other and Sarah helps her new boyfriend and fellow overcome his past relationship stress, they are dating after all. Feeling comfortable about this year's Bake Off results, he and Sarah enter into an open relationship. According to the town, this rumored alliance actually made their sweet goods taste even better. Though, they will say just anything these days.

The next few months they relaxed despite it being the Holiday Season. Othello reconnected with Randy and helped him in his own life, since he moved from Branville the man had his own challenges. The Saltza bakery did better but it lost some money this time, losers of the Bake Off tend to lose a lot of respect too. The big demand for holiday cookies, cakes and other baked stuffs always hit after the big push of the competition, which had certain economic effects. Nobody was above this slump.

Othello and Sarah feel a strong change coming, perhaps not a good one. But they've lived through it before, and they aren't the new kids anymore. They romance by a stream that smells of hot coffee and spice. A few bluebirds flee south to escape the coming cold. It doesn't snow much around here.

A few young people protest the fact that the annual competition generates rivalry and may be a cash grab by the town's rich and connected. Things prove better, the mayor donates 40,000 to small businesses who've competed in the cook off as well as those believed to be isolated. This is enough for now but this place ain't perfect. A lot of progress has to be made around here.

Othello and Sarah realize how the town is changing for the better but briefly consider fusing businesses or moving to a larger town with more economy. It's not a bad idea to plan for the future. Sometimes it's the small things. They feel too many good people are in town and living Branville isn't a smart option. It's better to stick around for now and build a better business. Despite being rivals, they found friendship and love is much sweeter than the sourness of pointless competition and jealousy.

This could be a lesson about finding love and even rivals can learn to love each other. This doesn't always happen but when it does the results are sweet.

December 07, 2020 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.