1 comment

Drama Mystery Desi

"How do you know if you will win this contest?- He asked me.

He is holding a coffee mug. Once sipped, but now looking at me. Absolute. Feeling a little annoyed. I noticed that that the coffee mug was no longer smoking. His pet cat is walking inside the room.

I sighed and told him- Because I can see the future.

At first , everything stopped. Pin drop silence in the room. He still holds the coffee mug tightly in his hand. He has not taken a sip since the first one.

then he said calmly- okay , that's nice.

Usually I don't tell anyone about my ability. But the few who know the matter, when I first told them about this special power of mine, none of them remained so calm.

In the beginning, no one believed in. laugh.

I used to ask if I was Okay. They regretted that the boy's head was gone.

I am accustomed to such reactions. So when he accepted in a very normal way, I was surprised. Has he ever received such a case before? That means I am not the only power!

For so long, such a power has made me arrogant. It feels bad to think that the place of ego will collapse. I asked him - weren't you surprised?

He replied almost immediately - no.

As if he already knew I would ask such a question. So he kept preparing the answer in his mind. I feel bad for saying it directly on my face. He seems to have realized it.

So he smiled and asked me - I was not surprised, are you surprised?

I nodded indicating yes.

This time he smiled. Not a smile, not even a laugh, a lot in between.

He laughed and said - you should have known in advance that I would not be surprised.

This time I was ashamed.

I realized that he did not believe me. Of course not to believe. People don't want to believe anything without proof.

I looked at my watch. It's seven o'clock in the evening.

And my competition will start in two hours. A general knowledge competition organized by Dhaka City Corporation for the city dwellers. Anyone can participate in it. Who wants to be a millionaire is like a show. The winner will be given three thousand dollars

Many tempting rewards. All I need at the moment.

I took my eyes off the watch.

- “ You probably don't believe me.”

- “I don't see any reason to believe you, baby.”

I understood that he could not be persuaded just by words. Proof must be shown.

I said - think of something in your mind.

This time he was annoyed with me and said - and then you can hear the words of the mind.

He ignored me.

I didn't care.

I said to him- think of something in your mind that you will tell me a little later.

He said- I thought.

I looked at him. I smiled when I realized what he was going to say to me in another thirty seconds.

I told - "what you're going to tell me in a few seconds - I'll just kick this guy out of here, or I'll kick him in the ass."

He was a little shocked.

"You are right, but it does not prove that you can say it in the future," he said calmly. Listen boy, you can see in my face that I am annoyed with your weird behavior. So in such a situation, anyone will think this in his mind.

-"You could think of something else with a little ingenuity."

-" I could think. Didn't think. Because I don't have so much time."

- That means you don't believe I can predict the future. I told him.

He said that - No one will believe baby.

I understand it will not be like this.

At that time, I noticed the mobile kept on his desk

I looked and saw an email will enter in three minutes. This is a great opportunity. This is what I have to use

I said listen Mr. Rahman. You will receive a mail at 7:13 p.m.

He looked at the clock. And after three minutes- He said.

The clock kept ticking for three minutes, at which point I told him the reason I had come.

Look, I know you won't believe what I'm saying now However, I am requesting you please do not use your car when returning home today.

He wanted to know why?

I told him -all right I start from the beginning. Listen carefully.

I told you at the beginning that I can see the future. Not actually seen in that sense. Suddenly an idea came to my mind.

Looks like it happened before. Much the way we think of some events in the past. But in my case this recollection is not a past event but a future event.

He smiled contemptuously. He said, "Wow, if you give a nice explanation, baby."

You don't believe, I know. But listen. On the way to City Hall, at the corner of the main intersection, an incident came to mind. Looks like something happened here. Car accident.

A truck parked next to it. And the red car suddenly twisted. Gone. There is a corpse lying next to it!

There was a squeaking sound. His pet cat dropped something.

-You mean, That dead body was mine?

I just stared at him. I did not answer the question.

He said, "Look, boy, the story you are making up has flaws in many places."

-What kind of defect is there? I asked him.

-"There are many reasons not to believe."

-What is the reason?

He picked up the mug of cold coffee and took a sip.

Putting down the coffee mug, he said, "How do you know me when you see the body? How to find the address?

Now don't say that my body told you. Ha ha ha ha."

I said- take out a visiting card from your wallet. It was written there. He said sarcastically - and you come to see me in the future to see my visiting card to warn me? I shook my head.

He smiled and said you came to help me with so much responsibility. You should help me too. He took out a card from the desk. He told me to give up. "A psychiatrist I know. Get in touch with him as soon as you can. Ha ha ha ha."

At that time the email went to his mobile.

-" What is the trick for this baby?" he told me sarcastically. He is despising me. I don't feel angry about that I'm so sorry, I can't believe it. I couldn't convince anyone.

Every time I came forward for help, I failed. Maybe fate can never be controlled. The ability to predict the future gave me nothing but sorrow.

I got up to leave.

I said that have go, stay well.

He stopped me as soon as I turned around

Did you notice that I didn't tell you to go out?

-" What do you mean?"

He said to remind me- "In the beginning you told me to think of something in my mind. I thought I'd tell you what I'm thinking. And you predict that i will say it to you . But I never said it . That means you can not predict future."

You are A liar - he said to me.

I know I can not make him believe. so I got up to leave.

He is laughing at me . and asked me - If you predict the future, isn't it unethical to participate the contest which contains MCQ based question?.

How could i tell him that i need the money so badly for my mothers cancer operation.

October 10, 2020 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Orenda .
06:38 Oct 21, 2020

I enjoyed this story, and the plot was really good and interesting. I have two things to say, though:- I feel like your story is actually in the past tense, but many a places, I see present tense. That's disturbing to the readers. I don't know if you realised that. secondly, dialogues are always written within inverted commas. Like, Orenda said, "I liked this story." Like that haha, still don't know if you're aware of that. But overall, for a first story, you've done a great job with the plot and welcome to reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.