2 comments

Fiction

There was something cold in the kiss he had just received. Troy could not understand. He thought things were going okay; maybe she had had a bad day. Arriving at the restaurant they sat in an alcove where they could feel the warmth from the fire and watch the flames leap up the chimney. They perused the menu in readiness for the waiter’s arrival. There was no conversation. They could have been an old married couple so used to each other small talk was unnecessary, but that was not usually the case with Troy and Heather.

“Are you alright Heather?” Troy asked

“Of course Troy. Why wouldn’t I be; I’m here with you am I not?”

Ouch!

“What was your day like?” he was genuinely interested.

“Same old, different day” Heather answered her eyes darting around the room.

Heather always had a drama to share.

“Anything interesting behind me?” asked Troy, still looking at the menu.

“No, just the shadows.”

“What shadows? the night is still young. Have you been at the cooking sherry again?”

Troy looked for a smile. He realised the joke was one belonging to the “lead balloon” department; the look from Heather was enough to freeze any conversation, but, undaunted, Troy persisted.

“I think I will have the roast depending on what it is, or the hamburger,” said Troy.

“You always have that. I will have the kedgeree.” said Heather “no, on second thoughts, the Greek salad.”

“Are you dieting again?”

“No” Heather answered glaring at him “I’m not hungry, I…had a big lunch.” she finished hurriedly.

“Fried milkshake?”

“No don’t be an idiot! Must you go on like this?”

“Like what; oh you mean like you? A bossy school Ma’am that forgets there is life out of school?” he hid behind the water glass “and that’s one all, I think old boy.” he thought.

Heather looked baffled.

“I don’t understand.”

“Had you forgotten we had an important date, tonight?” at least it was important to him.

Troy was fond of Heather, but although he had been looking at engagement rings, and he knew that in any long-term relationship there were difficult days, he was in two minds about taking his intended direction.

The waiter arrived; Troy motioned to Heather.

“I will have the Greek salad, thanks, and a lemon squash,” she said as though she was choosing butcher meat.

“Troy.” she hinted

“The roast?” he asked, “what is on offer tonight?”

“Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding,” said the waiter with a smile.

“Mmm yeah, I will have that and a bottle of wine?”

“No not for me,” answered Heather

“Oh, a meatless day coupled with a wineless day.” grinned Troy “gee I feel special.”

That look again, as though Heather wished he were withering into oblivion.

“No on second thoughts, waiter, I will have a beer and my friend wants a lemon squash.”

“Indeed Sir, I will place your order now.” the waiter replied, “oh we have garlic bread or…”

Troy looked at Heather, her grimace spoke volumes. He looked down, then, arriving at a solution that would not incur wrath, made a move to get up.

“I have just noticed a spot on my tie, I had better try to remove it,” he said lamely.

She smiled, saying nothing.

As Troy made his way to the conveniences, he noticed an older man enter the restaurant; he thought nothing of it. While taking stock and making a pretence of cleaning the immaculate tie, Troy realised he was unsure of his next move but he was hungry.

Upon re-entering the restaurant, Troy noticed that Heather had also left the table. Assuming she too had needed a little walk, he sat down.  A few minutes passed. He looked around the room, then took a deep breath. The older gentleman had chosen to sit close to where he was, the lady with him was … Heather.

Troy signalled to the waiter, who was approaching anyway.

“I’m sorry Sir, I have just been advised that the meat is off and we would not present that to you. Is there anything else we can get you while I get the beer?”

“Is the salad ready?”

"Yes, I will bring that. Where is your friend?”

Troy indicated by pointing delicately so as not to arouse suspicion.

“I’m sorry I don’t know your name, but I can’t explain.”

“I am Thomas, Sir; not to be confused with my father who is Tom.” he smiled, but it did not get the reaction Thomas had hoped for.

“Thomas, I don’t think I want anything under these circumstances.”

“I understand Sir, and we will not charge you for the order.  I hope this unfortunate mix up can be resolved.”

Troy nodded, as he checked his shirt pocket for the box he put there.

With a sigh, he left the table and approached Heather and her companion. They both looked sheepish, Heather more so.

“Hi,” he said addressing the companion “I’m Troy Bennett.”

“Great to meet you, Troy, I’m John Kelly. Heather and I work together.”

“Could I have a few words with Heather and I’d like you to be here if possible?”

John nodded.

“We are about to eat, Troy.” said Heather “I mean…”

“Yes, your Greek salad is on its way,” replied Troy. “it’s alright I was not charged for it.”

Heather looked away, her face scarlet. This time there was no mistaking the message.

“John, If I can make a suggestion, make sure this lady says what she means to you. I understood there was a big lunch today, hence the salad was ordered.”

He had the satisfaction of seeing their discomfiture, then noticed that the meals including the salad were about to be served. He held the box in his hand.

“Heather I was going to give you this tonight. I know I could still have been disappointed, but, it does look like I have had a lucky escape. Perhaps you have done me a good turn, John.  Enjoy your meals, Good night.”

He fought back the tears, got into the car, stopped at McDonald's, bought take away. Upon entering his house, he opened a cold beer and took a long slug.  The aroma from the hamburger and fries met his nostrils. He was hungry after all.

 While eating, Troy looked at the clock.  He decided, to make a long-distance call; he might catch Bill before he left the office. It would be towards the end of the business day in Australia.

Troy blessed modern technology, there were no pips, but a clear line.

“Bill Higgins speaking,”

“Hi, Bill.”

“Troy! You’re not going to believe this but, I was just thinking of you.”

How come?”

“I’m wondering if you’d be interested in your old job?”

“I could be,” said Troy

He listened carefully; it was a genuine offer.

Home was beckoning, he would get over Heather. Maybe the diamond would not go to waste, after all.

January 14, 2021 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Shea West
23:39 Jan 20, 2021

I enjoyed Troy's passive aggressive delivery throughout the story. His annoyance with Heathers tone made me laugh as he countered with such a salty attitude.

Reply

Claire Tennant
00:41 Feb 12, 2021

I had not thought of it that way, but you are right. Thank you for reading it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.